Chapter One

The New Manager

-


 

Yifan was enjoying his time, bathing under the sun with sunglasses on. He was almost went to sleep if someone didn't suddenly tripped and splashed water all over his body, shocking the tall man with a loud shout.

"Oh my god, sorry! I'm so so sorry, my friend suddenly bumped into me, I'm so sorry, sir! I'll get the towel very quick!!"

Yifan grumbled, wanting to say to the boy he didn't have to do it but the boy already gone in second. He sighed, taking the glass on his lap which fortunately didn't break. He felt his chest was icky though, what was the drink? He sniffed the liquid on his hand and smelt fruity scent.

The boy came back in a minute and he bent down, putting a white towel on Yifan's chest, pressing his palm around it to make sure he cleaned it properly. Yifan raises his eyebrows when the boy pulled his hand back, his cheeks turned pinkish and he wondered why.

"I-I'm sorry." he whispered.

"No, it's okay. I'll just go back to my room and clean myself." said Yifan with a small smile.

"Would you like me to accompany you?"

Yifan shook his head, "No, I'm fine. You just continue doing your job and be careful next time."

"Yes, sir. My apologize once again." The boy stood up, bowing to Yifan before he went away with couples of worry glances towards him.

Yifan looked down and missed it, worrying more that he had to take another shower. "I shouldn't do this anyway..."






Yifan was pointed to help a new built hotel as a manager. His father owns couple of hotels already and one of his close friend wanted to try to expand his business and asked for a help so Mr. Wu told his son to go to the new hotel in Jeju.

The man who used to have blonde hair just recently dyed his hair back to his natural color which was black. He didn't want to do it actually as he always came to his father hotels like a normal guest, none of he staffs knew that he was he owner's son. He couldn't do the same thing here though as it's not the same so he had to be professional.

The hotel was build 5 years ago and it wasn't that bad in his opinion. There were some guest and he could see the employees were trained well. The smile and hospitality were enough, the service were great and the reflex the earlier boy showed was enough proof that the hotel had no problems. They just needed more advertisement and some kind of bait to made many people interest, something different than other hotel, things that made people will come for something that's unique and made them satisfied.

Yifan spend his evening reading about the hotel's report and when the sun already set he prepared himself to walk around the hotel to familiarize himself in the place he will stay in until the next month.

He saw the earlier boy again for the second time when he walked to the restaurant and the boy recognized him, walking to him with a bright smile.

"Sir!"

"Hey."

The boy looked up at Yifan and parted his lips, "I didn't know you're this tall. You're even taller than my brother."

Yifan only smiled, already used to people commenting his height.

"You're still working?"

"Yeah. I still have two hours more before finished for the day."

Yifan nodded, eyes scanning the restaurant where he saw many people taking the seats, some families and the rest were couples. "How long have you been working here?"

"Uh...three months?"

Yifan hummed, shifting his eyes back to the boy and saw the nametag on his chest. "Suho? What an interesting name. How do you think of working here, Suho-ssi?"

Suho smiled sheepishly, "I like it here. The people are nice and even if the works are a little bit hard, it's my job." He bit his lips for a second, "Will you stay long in here, sir? I still have to repay you for the incident this morning."

"I told you already it's okay. Please continue doing your work, your manager might not like seeing you chatting with guest like this."

Suho pressed his lips tighter before shaking his head, "We don't have any manager for the moment. They say the new one will come from a five stars hotel this week."

"I see." Yifan nodded as he took a look at his watch, "I need to see someone. See you again, Suho."

The tall man left without waiting for the other to reply, he could hear Suho shouted 'see you soon, sir!' And smiled to himself.





Yifan took a seat near the window and he loved the scenery he got from downstairs. The garden was beautiful, there was gazebo, a water mountain and bed flowers here and there. It was a great hotel, just like his father told him and the reviews he read from the internet. He was confused of what to help in this hotel, though. It look perfectly fine and he thought it need no help or anything that the staff itself couldn't manage.

"Kris-hyung?"

Yifan turned his head and found a young man smiling at him, more like smirking actually. The man was wearing a light blue button up shirt, his sleeves were folded to his elbow and two upper buttons were opened with a pair of black slack and surprisingly wearing hotel sandals. He smiled back as he stood up and shook his hand with he man, "You're Kai?"

"You can call me Jongin. Our father are close after all."

Both man took a seat and Jongin called a waiter. "Give us our most favorite menu and deserts. Please don't take too long, he's our VIP guest."

The waiter nodded, giving his best smile to Yifan and Jongin before leaving away.

"So, how's our hotel? I hope it doesn't disappoint you that much." Jongin chuckled.

"I still don't understand why your father said that his hotel is bad. I love the atmosphere. It's cozy and even if it's a hotel I can see how close he staffs are and who designed it? I love it, simple yet elegant." Yifan waved his hand a little before putting his chin on it.

Jongin grinned, "My boyfriend and his friend designed it. It's pretty, right? We have a room here for him to come whenever he wants to. One for his friend too, of course."

"I see." Yifan nodded, the smile Jongin showed him was one of a proud boyfriend and he too, will fell the same if his boyfriend did the same. "I will try my best to let many people see how beautiful this hotel is."

"Thank you, that's definitely what my father want."

"That's not what you want?"

"I'm the son who doesn't want to continue his father's business." Jongin grinned like a kid and Yifan liked it better than his smirk.

"What are you interest in, then?"

"Perform. I'm a dancer."

Yifan whistled, "I can see girls screaming at you like you're an idol."

"I almost became one. But my boyfriend didn't allow me and that's not what I want too."

Yifan raised an eyebrow, "Aside from a rebel son, you're a good boyfriend, huh?"

"It took me years to get him, so yeah. Don't want to make any mistake. How about you, hyung? I heard from father you're searching for a husband?"

Yifan widened his eyes, "What? Is that what you heard?" he groaned, "It must be my father. He couldn't wait to get a grandchild and even if I'm a good son, I'm the workaholic type so he must wait for more years until he got that wish granted."

"That's too bad. I'm sure you have many men lining up for you." Jongin snickered.

"None has take my attention. I feel like they're all the same..." Yifan scanned the tables with his eyes. His eyes landed on a young couple with a baby, the father was holding her daughter and laughed together with the mother when the baby made a cute face.

Jongin followed Yifan's eyes direction and he smiled, "Cute. You like daughter, huh?"

Yifan shifted his eyes and cleared his throat. He just noticed that he and Jongin had been talking about personal stuff and it was good but he felt just a little bit weird at the same time. No one had that ability to make Yifan felt comfortable on first meeting that he let loose by talking more about himself.

"We should be talking about work, Jongin." He gave a serious face towards the younger before adding a little smile when Jongin smirked.

"We have many times to talk about work, hyung. Let's be friend first so we can work easily later. I'm glad you're only couple of years older, I met more old people than those around my age so I always kept my guard up, being polite and stuff. It's tiring, you know?" The younger pouted for a second before it disappeared.

"Right. Let's enjoy the night before the serious thing started, then."

Jongin gave his childish grin again before he blinked his eyes and pressed his lips, "You're not implying that we will drinks tonight, right? I'm not that fond of the hangover, moreover if my boyfriend scold me while taking care of me. Don't want to make him upset."

Yifan laughed at Jongin's reply, the young man was such an interesting person. He wondered how it felt to work with him, how he handle his responsibilities even when he said he hated it.

"No, don't worry. I rarely drink myself, so you can relax."

"Great. Thanks, hyung."

 




Jongin properly introduced Yifan to the staffs the next morning and they greeted him with their trained yet warm smiles. Jongin asked what he wanted to do and Yifan said he wanted the tour first to compare how the people here work with his father's hotel.

Jongin smiled and talked a lot, explaining things as they went to each department and his answers of Yifan's questions satisfied him. The staffs all greeted him, some people were close with Jongin as the owner's son joked around for a bit after he introduced Yifan and told them to be careful of the new manager.

By the time lunch came Jongin excused himself as he wanted to check on his boyfriend and Yifan let him. The new hotel manager felt itchy somehow with his formal clothing, he wanted to change his clothes but he couldn't do that. He was not at his own place, he had to remind himself again. He decided to take a lunch first before checking on some customers like he planned.

Yifan paused on his step when he felt his phone vibrated. His mother was asking how he was doing and he sighed. His mother was quite a worry-wart and as he's the only son it only multiplied most of times. He felt a hand on his arm and jerked in shock as he turned his head, seeing a smiling Suho as he took back his hand.

"Sorry, sir."

"Oh, it's you Suho." Yifan smiled as he looked down to the man.

"Good afternoon, sir. It's nice to see you again, why are you wearing a suit, may I ask?"

"Ah, it's—"

"Oh!" Suho pointed to Yifan's chest where he could see his nametag. "You're the new manage—oh my god! I'm so so sorry for yesterday, sir! You must be have a bad impression on me, I rarely made mistakes, I always do my job the best way I can. I can count my mistakes with my—"

"Suho-ssi." Yifan put a hand on Suho's shoulder, making the smaller man stopped and blushed.

"I'm sorry."

"You're the type who says sorry a lot, huh?" Yifan chuckled and moved his hand back on his side. "I told you it was fine. I don't have any bad impression on you, I think you did your job well, the way you act fast was a good reflex and you trained well. Don't worry, I'm not the type who fired someone by one mistake."

Suho let out a sighed as he nodded, "Thank you, manager-nim."

Yifan scrunched his nose, "Just Kris is okay. I don't like crushing the family atmosphere you guys have in here."

Suho looked relax and he gave his bright smile to his new manager. "Never imagine you will be our new manager. Did you went undercover as a guest to check on us?"

"Well, yes and no? I mean, I do want to relax for a bit but the incident reminded me that I came here to work."

Suho hummed, "Where are you going, Kris-ssi?"

"Lunch. You want to come with me?"

Suho blinked his eyes, "Eh? N-no, I think it will be weird..." he shifted his eyes, suddenly looked nervous which confused Yifan.

"Really? I used to do it on my hotel, though."

"You have a hotel!?" Suho said with a loud voice and quickly covered his mouth with a hand. "Sorry..."

Yifan thought that Suho was the second interesting person he met after Jongin and he knew this month will pass by quickly with kind and nice people around. He smiled at Suho's reaction and shook his head, "Guess you guys didn't get that information, huh? Please keep it as a secret, I don't want people to see me differently. It's not my hotel anyway."

"I will keep my mouth shut, Kris-ssi."

"I'll head to the cafeteria then. Have a good lunch, Suho-ssi." Yifan nodded to Suho who smiled and bowed before waving his hand.