Chapter Four

The New Manager

-


 

"Here, wear my sweater." Yifan handed Suho a sweater he found on his car.

"Eh? But..."

"You're still in your uniform. Do you want to change your clothes first?"

Suho bit his lips before he shook his head. "I will wear this."

Yifan smiled, walking to the driver seat and got inside as he waited for Suho to wear his clothes. The passenger seat was opened and Suho went inside, he had a small pout on his lips and Yifan asked what's wrong.

"It's too big. I look like a kid..."

Yifan laughed, "You are. You're quite sma--I mean, I'm too big. Sorry."

"It's okay. Can you tell me where we are going?"

Yifan started moving the car, humming as he the radio. "To the nearest mall. I need to eat food that aren't made by Chef and I don't know, maybe buy some books to read or some clothes."

"Do you always do this when you're...tired of working?" asked Suho after he put on his seat belt.

"Yeah. I can't stay too long in one place, I don't know why. I need to change my environment every couple of months. Where's the nearest mall by the way?"

Suho laughed, "I will tell you the way."





"What do you want to eat?" Yifan waited as Suho walked behind him. He reminded himself not to walk too fast as he kept on stopping to wait for Suho who struggled to keep walking beside him.

"Uhm, anything is fine. I'm just here to accompany you."

"I might choose something that you don't like."

"I can eat everything, don't worry."

Yifan stared at Suho's smiling face, waiting for him to change his mind but it seemed like the shorter won't tell him what he wants for lunch so Yifan decided to choose the restaurant randomly.




Suho watched in amazement at his manager who was eating across of him. Yifan looked like he didn't eat for couple of days as he ordered three different kinds of food and currently eating his last plate. The smaller was full already but Yifan insisted to order him a dessert.

"How large is your stomach?"

Yifan smiled, "I rarely eat at work. I eat, but only enough for the day and as I think too much lately I get hungry very easily as well."

"Is that why you're so tall?"

"My dad is tall, I think that's why."

Suho hummed, his eyes watching the man in front of him intently. "Can I ask you something, Kris-ssi?"

"Yeah."

"Are you really leaving this week?"

Yifan stop munching for a second before he continued and swallowed his food. "Huh?"

"I heard you only work for a month here."

"That was the plan. But seems like the plan changed so I will stay for another eleven months here." Yifan scrunched his nose for a moment before continue eating again.

"Really?"

The excitement was obvious on Suho's tone and Yifan smiled, "Are you that happy?"

Suho nodded, "I don't like the previous manager. He hates me..."

"He did? Why, I think you're a good employee." Yifan took his last bite and pushed his plate away from him.

Suho's smile reached his eyes, "Thank you, it's nice to hear compliment from the manager. I don't know, everything I did seems like mistakes in his eyes."

"Well, there are some people who are like that so you just need to do your job. Good thing he's not here again, hmm?"

"Yes, I'm so happy at the current manager." the smaller grinned.

"Thank you. I'm glad at the opportunity too." Yifan saw the waitress bring their dessert and smiled, "Now, let's eat the dessert before we start shopping."





"You like to shop, don't you?"

"Yeah, my mother used to bring me every time she buy things and it became my habbit somehow. My father never wanted to go with us, he choose to wait at the coffee shop and do his work. What do you think of this?" Yifan was holding a baby blue dress shirt and Suho nodded.

"You will look good in anything. You have nice body, anyway..."

"Nice body?" Yifan frowned, glancing at Suho who cleared his throat.

"That's how the other employees call it. They compare your body to Kai's. He took care of his weight when he was still a dancer, though..."

"Everyone knows he's a dancer, huh?"

The way Suho widen his eyes went unnoticed by Yifan, "Y-yeah, I think so."

"Do you want something? I will buy it for you, as a gift."

Suho shook his head when Yifan stared at him, "No, Thank you. Are you always this generous to people?"

"Only to those that I like." Yifan took the dress shirt and other shirts he choose earlier to the cashier, signaling Suho to follow him.

Suho had a smile on his lips as he walked slowly in purpose behind Yifan, not wanting the taller to see his happy expression.






Suho was startled when Yifan suddenly had his hand on his waist, he looked up to his manager who had a calm face.

"Act natural." Yifan instructed and Suho nodded.

They walked to the book store before Yifan finally let go of Suho. "Sorry. Some girls were eyeing me earlier and I'm not in the mood for small talks."

"Small talks?"

"Yeah, like asking my number or something..." Yifan pushed Suho gently to keep walking, guiding him to self help book aisle.

"You're the type that many people like, easy to approach and kind...I envy you, Kris-ssi.Suho sighed as Yifan took a random book.

Yifan stared at Suho for a moment before checking the book on his hand. "I think you're easy to approach and kind too."

"No, I'm not..." Suho whispered, making the manager looked up from the book to see the smaller staring sadly to the books on the shelves. The man with pale skin sighed, he looked tired for a moment before he realized Yifan was watching and put on his smile again. "Did you find any book interesting?"

Yifan wanted to ask if Suho's okay but the way the smaller smile was like telling him he was okay. "No, I think we should go back." he put the book back on the shelves. "Are you sure you don't want me to buy you something? Food maybe?"

Suho shook his head, "I'm fine. My stomach is full already." he put a hand on his stomach to emphasize.

The manager sighed, "Let's go, then."






Yifan walked back inside the hotel, the receptionist greeted him with Suho who walked behind him.

"Suho-ssi, Mr. Kai was searching for you."

"Oh? Okay, thank you. I will go to his office." smiled Suho. He faced Yifan, bowing to him. "I have to go. Thank you for the lunch, have a good day, Kris-ssi."

"You too."

Yifan smiled to Suho as the shorter ran to the direction of the elevator.

"Manager-nim?"

"Yes?"

"Did you just went out with Suho?" the receptionist asked.

"Yeah. He needed to go somewhere urgent, he bumped into me and I happen need to go somewhere too so we went together." lied Yifan.

"I see. How nice of you, Manager-nim."

"It's my job to help you guys." answered Yifan politely. "I will go to my office now." he announced and nodded to the receptionist.





Yifan was reading the report for the month when he heard a knock on his door. "Come in."

"Hyung?" Jongin peeked his head inside.

"Yeah." Yifan smiled to the younger who eyed his desk that full of documents.

"Should I go back later?"

"No, it's okay. What is it?"

"You have a guest." Jongin slowly opened the door and revealed a man around Kyungsoo's heigh, wearing a long dark brown coat. His hair color was maroon and Jongin let him went inside before he closed the door.

Yifan stood up, smiling to the man who had this expression like he wanted to complaint to him. "May I help you?"

"Yeah, prepared the best wedding party that I will ever have. It's your gift to me cause I, Byun Baekhyun succeed in making Chanyeol my future husband instead of you. You're not bad actually, but I love my clumsy giant." the man said.

Yifan shifted his eyes to Jongin who was grinning widely, "You're free, hyung."

"Are you serious?"

Baekhyun rolled his eyes as he turned to Jongin, "Jongin, didn't you tell him already?"

"I want to give him a surprise, Baek."

Yifan smiled knowing he can focus on his job again. "I'm glad to hear it. I will do my best to prepare your wedding, Baekhyun."

"Nice to meet you, by the way. You're definitely fit for the manager position, everyone is talking about you on my way here."

Yifan only smiled, walking to the refrigerator he had on his room. "You want a drink?"

"No, thank you. I want to see Kyungsoo after this."

"Ah, I see."

"I will send you email of what theme that I want for my wedding."

"Alright, I will call you as soon as I finish planning."

Baekhyun smiled, his eyes crinkling prettily before he turned to Jongin. "See you later, Jongin-ah. You can bring him too if you want." he walked passed the tanned man who nodded, opening the door for him and closed it back after the smaller went out.

"Are you sure I'm going to be free? You seem liked you have many friends, won't my father--or yours--choose another candidate for me?" Yifan sat back with a frown, he was glad Baekhyun succeed but he felt like this whole marriage thing wasn't over.

Jongin huffed, walking to Yifan's table as he took one of the document on his desk. "Yeah, our old men won't stop until you got married, it seems."

Yifan groaned, "I was joking. Don't tell me they prepared another want for me?"

Jongin went silent as he had his focus on the document.

Yifan looked up to the younger, "Jongin-ah?"

"Huh...?" Jongin still had his eyes on the document, "Hyung, have you read this?"

"What is it?"

"Something's not right in our expenses for last month. The number increased more than the average for each month and that's when we just fired our old manager..."

"Where is it, let me see."

Jongin turned the document and put in on the desk so the older man could see it. "Here. The number was high, who signed this?" he flipped the page until he saw the signature he was looking for. Jongin closed the document hard so suddenly, causing a loud bang that made Yifan jumped on his seat.

"Jongin?"

"That man still have rats inside here."

"Who?" Yifan eyed the younger carefully as Jongin loosen his tie. The younger's face turned serious, running a hand through his hair and his lips with his other hand on his hip.

"The old manager. He embezzled money from us, that's the reason we fired him."

Yifan frowned, "I didn't know... Who are the rats you're talking about, his families or something?"

"Not a families, but I know they were close before. I once saw them talking outside the hotel before and thought that it was weird but I don't think much about it. I can't believe he still has the gut to do it." Jongin sighed, "I need to tell appa about this. We will talk later, hyung."

Yifan nodded and let the younger went out from his office. He stared at the document Jongin checked earlier before sighing hard. "One problem was gone yet two more come. When will I be free to do whatever I want..."






The tall man who just walked out of his bathroom stopped in the middle of the room. He stared blankly to the ground, thinking if he should continue reading his documents or bring it to his room and read it after he took a shower. He wasn't sure if he will read it though as he felt like sleeping already, his head had been aching since an hour before.

A knocked was heard and Yifan looked up to see Jongin. "Hyung, want to come with me and my friends?" he grinned. Yifan wondered how Jongin could still look cheerful at this time after he did his works. Maybe couple of years did make different after all.

"Where are you going?"

Jongin smirked as he leaned to the door frame, opening the door just a little bit more. "Club."

Yifan puffed his cheek, shaking his head and chuckled as he opened his jacket. "Nope, thank you. My head hurts, Jongin-ah."

"Are you okay? Need some medicine?" Jongin's expression turned into one of concern, focusing on how the older man looked like he's ready to pass out.

"Nah, I'll just go back to my room now. Have fun tonight." Yifan smiled, waving his hand to Jongin who kept still.

"I'll walk you to your room, then."

Yifan raised an eyebrow to Jongin but shrugged. He turned off his computer, took his phone and key before turning off the desk lamp. "I said I'm okay..." he walked to Jongin who waited for him, asking him the key and the older gave him, letting the younger locked his office for him.

"You seriously need someone to remind you to stop working and take a rest, hyung."

"Hopefully someone my father choose will be like that..." Yifan leaned to the wall, closing his eyes as his head started to pound.

"Ah...I forgot about it. I'm sorry, hyung. I didn't ask my father about it, too focus on telling about the expenses thingy and finding the one who signed it." Jongin gave the key back to Yifan who put it inside his pocket. "Hyung, are you sure you're okay?" he put an arm around the taller man's back, Yifan unconsciously leaning to the younger.

"No, my head..."

"Want me to call someone?"

"No, just hurry. Need my bed fast..." Yifan grunted, letting Jongin helped him as they walked slowly to the elevator.

"When was the last time you ate?"

"This afternoon..."

Jongin stopped abruptly, causing Yifan to stumbled a bit. "Hey." he scolded.

"You haven't had dinner?"

"I'm fine..."

"No, you're not. You haven't eat, that's why you're weak. You will get sick if you keep doing this, hyung." Jongin started walking again, he stared worrily to the manager. "I promised Baekhyun I will go with him..."

"I can handle myself, you just go."

They waited for the elevator to arrive, Yifan leaned on the wall again as Jongin tapped his foot impatiently. The elevator finally arrived and the door was opened. Jongin paused when his eyes met a familiar person.

"Kai-ssi."

Jongin lightened up seeing Suho inside the elevator, "Nice timing! Suho, please take care of him. I need to go with Baekhyun, he will get mad at me if I'm late."

"Him?" Suho tilted his head, wondering who Kai was talking about as he saw Kai was alone.

Jongin smiled, helping Yifan by supporting his body and walked inside the elevator together for Suho to found out who was the younger talked about. Suho bit his lips watching the manager leaning into Jongin, "Is he okay?"

"Nope. Need dinner and rest. You can help him, right? Did you finish your shift?" Jongin pressed the button to Yifan's floor.

"No, I haven't--"

"I will tell Sunyoung to cover up for you, you need to take care of him."

Suho parted his lips, ready to decline but Jongin pressed his lips tight with a certain look and the smaller bit his lips. Nodding as a yes which made Jongin smiled again.

Yifan watched tiredly, "Jongin..."

"Shhh, hyung. Suho will take care of you, don't you worry..." Jongin smiled as he pushed Yifan closer to Suho, moving Yifan's hand aroud the smaller's shoulder and Suho tried to balance himself at the sudden weight from Yifan on him.

Yifan was too tired and weak, he could only whispered sorry to Suho, hoping he will reach his room faster, closing his eyes trying to reduce the dizziness he felt.

They arrived at Yifan's floor and Jongin helped Suho who struggled to bring Yifan alone to his room, opening the lock and put Yifan on his bed. Jongin sighed, watching Yifan grunted as soon as his body hit the matress.

"I will go now, hyung. Take care, okay?"

Yifan stared at Jongin with eyes half closed, his lips parted but nothing came out.

Jongin turned to Suho, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Suho. Please."

Suho brushed Jongin's hand from his shoulder, huffing to the younger with a look. "I'll take care of him, just go."

Jongin grinned, hugging the smaller man only for a second as Suho pushed the younger away. "Stop it!" he whispered.

"If he got a fever, don't let him go to work tomorrow. I will go check on him in the morning." Jongin checked on his wrist watch.

Suho gasped, stopping Jongin who took a step and ready to leave. "You want me to stay until tomorrow!?"

Jongin nodded. "I will cover you, don't worry."

"That's not what I'm worried about! I--"

"Need to go, hyung. See you." Jongin smiled before he took long strides outside the bedroom.

Suho dropped his shoulder seeing the closed door. The room was quit as the only voice he could hear was the faint soud of Yifan's breath. He turned to see the manager sleep on his bed. Yifan's hair was messy, he was still wearing his working clothes minus the jacket and he still had his shoes on.

The shorter took a step, watching Yifan as he clasped his hands together.

"What should I do?"