Chapter Three

The New Manager

-


 

Yifan spent his second week thinking of how to make his father cancelled the arranged marriage. He focused first on his job and as soon as he finish he always went and search for Jongin, asking if he has any good news yet. Jongin smiled apologetically at him, even Kyungsoo took a pity at Yifan and told him that Baekhyun will succeed, that he will convince his father that he will marry his boyfriend instead of Yifan.

Yifan was worried though. His father was a hard headed and it's hard the first time Yifan said he wanted to go overseas before he took his father's hotels. His father said no but his mother thankfully tried her best and succeed. He didn't want to ask for his mother's help but he kind of guessed already that he had to call his mother by the end of the week.

The new manager got stress thinking of the marriage and it only made him wanted to work even more to forget about the problem and to made the time went faster.





"Kris-ssi?"

Yifan turned his head to see Suho tilting his head as he stared up to him. The smaller man was beside him who was standing on the balcony on 3rd floor where he could see the pool under them. Watching the still water made Yifan calm down for a moment and he loved it like some kind of simple therapy to him.

"Hey. Still on your shift?"

"I just finished, actually. What are you doing here?" smiled Suho.

"Nothing. Just calming myself."

Suho hummed, "The work must be hard here, then?"

"No, it's not as hard as the hotels I have to take care of. I have something on my mind and that's what I'm worried about." Yifan played with his own hair which was a mess already caused by the wind for minutes before.

Suho stared at his new manager side profile and blinked his eyes. "You look tired. You should take a rest, Kris-ssi."

"I will. I need to see Jongin after this and then I will go back to my room."

"Jongin?"

"I meant Kai. You know him, right?" Yifan turned to Suho, his eyes catching the way the smaller man wore casual clothes instead of his usual uniform.

"Who doesn't know him, he's the owner's son. Are you still going to talk about work with him?"

"Yes and no..." said Yifan as he covered his mouth to yawn. He needed to go to sleep as soon as he finished talking with Jongin.

"You're such a workaholic, aren't you? You're different than our previous manager." Suho chuckled, his hand were grabbing the railing as he looked down to the pool.

"Is it obvious? Can't deny it, I do like making goals and work hard to accomplish it." Yifan took out his phone and searched for Jongin's number.

"When we compare you to the previous manager, of course it's obvious. You're much more kind than him and you're younger which made you friendly towards us. You're not as bossy as him but you know when to get serious to make people follow your words."

Yifan smiled and took a glance to Suho ad a thank you. He put his phone on his ear and waited for two rings before Jongin picked up.

"I'm walking there, hyung." Jongin answered before he hung up.

"Is Kai-ssi still busy?"

"Nope. He said--there he is." Yifan saw Jongin walked to his direction and Suho turned his face. Jongin smiled at them and nodded to Suho before stopping in front of him.

"Suho-ssi. Nice to see you here. Shouldn't you be resting now?"

"Ah. Yes, Kai-ssi. I'm about too. I just happen to see Kris-ssi and curious of what he's doing in here alone." Suho bowed to Jongin.

Jongin shifted his eyes to Yifan who wiggled his eyebrows and the younger chuckled. "Kris hyung is having a crisis right now. He's about to get married in couple of months if he doesn't find a way to stop it."

Suho turned to Yifan who scowl at laughing Jongin.

" What a great way to expose my secret, Jongin. It's a good thing Suho can keep a secret." Yifan squinted his eyes towards Jongin who winked at him.

Suho smiled and turned to Yifan, "I will go now, then. Have a good rest, Kris-ssi. God night, Kai-ssi."

Jongin watched Suho walked away from. them before he turned to Yifan with a smirk that meant he's ready to tease the older man. "Is it me or I saw you with him more than twice already?"

"Coincidence?" Yifan shrugged as he leaned his back to the railing, copying Jongin.

Jongin laughed, "There's no such thing as coincidence. Either you follow him or he followed you."

"Why is he following me? And no, definitely not me. He's the one who came to me earlier."

Jongin snapped his fingers, "It's him! Oh asked why, don't you know many people talked about you since day one? Especially girls, they're crazy about you I think I lost many of my fans."

Yifan shook his head, "Please. Why would they, can't they see I'm not into girls?"

"Nope. Even after they knew I already have a boyfriend some girls are still boldly flirting with me that it annoyed so much. I once threatened to fired him if she do that again and finally she back away. Some girls are crazy..." Jongin shivered remembering the incident.

"Hey, now. You shouldn't do that." Yifan scolded.

Jongin rolled his eyes before punching Yifan's arm quite hard the older glared at him. "It's for my own safety and comfort. I'm the owner's son after all, I should have a supporting environment to work."

Yifan only rolled his eyes when Jongin opened his jacket, "I'm serious, hyung. Tell me, can you work in a place where people are staring at you? You're the boss, you won't have that, will you? I really want to fire them if I can, but I'm not that cruel. They need money and I need them to work for me."

"You know, even when you don't like it, you're good at this."

"Well, I need to do this to so I can dance."

Yifan put an arm around Jongin's shoulder, messing with the younger's hair as Jongin whined, "I'll help you, handsome Kai. Hyung will help you so you can go back and focus on your dance, so don't you forget to invite me in your first show."

Jongin laughed, pushing the older hard so Yifan stopped playing with his hair. "Right. I hope that day will come, I miss to be under the limelight..."

"I know you will." Yifan smiled, making Jongin grinned in thanks to him.

"How's Baekhyun?" Yifan unconsciously frowned and Jongin took notice in it. He could see Yifan getting busier and it only meant he had something on his mind.

"He's half-way there. Chanyeol is currently going in some kind of test his mother put through. Baekhyun's mother is like the exact same copy with Baekhyun and it's crazy. They're both so damn stubborn I won't be able to survive if I'm Mr. Byun." Jongin sighed hard. "I hope Chanyeol can do it. He looked on things easily and Mrs. Byun's definitely not that kind of woman. She's hard to please..."

"Is there anything that I can do?"

Jongin shook his head, this time he was the one who put his arm on the older's shoulder. "I'm sorry, hyung. Let Baek take cares of this, you can just focus on your job. There will be a wedding party next month and I want to make sure everything went well."

"Too bad I can't see the wedding, I saw some pictures and the event organizer did a good job."

Jongin tilted his head, "Why you won't be here to see it? Where are you going?"

Yifan blinked once, "I'm only here for a month, Jongin-ah."

"No, you don't."

"Yes, I am."

"What are you talking about, Appa booked you for a year."

Yifan parted his lips, about to say something before he closed it again. He took out his phone to search for a message his father sent to him.

"He did say one month, but he changed his mind. I feel useless somehow as he believe in you more than me..." Jongin chuckled.

"No, no, it shouldn't be that long...it said one month, why a year? A year is too much, I can't do it, Jongin-ah. I need a rest, I never work that long in a year and he wants me to do a full year job?" Yifan raised his voice a bit that cause Jongin to took a step back.

"Hyung, calm down."

"I can't calm down, I already wrote down my plan for next month and the rest of my year." Yifan groaned, his hand were typing into his phone. "Old man, you're seriously can't get anything that you want..."

"Believe me, They can." Jongin got closer again to see what the older man was writing. "Nah, those won't work. They're used to those kind of threat, they're business men, hyung."

Yifan turned to Jongin who nodded with eyes closed, telling him how serious he was. "Should I just run away?"

Jongin gasped, "Hyung! You're so cruel, how about me? You will leave me alone, here? You promised me minutes ago you will help me..."

"Change of plan, my own life comes first, Jongin-ah. You have Kyungsoo and your friends anyway." Yifan grinned.

"No!! He wants you, appa wants you to teach me things, that's why. Oh come on, hyung..." Jongin pouted and it reminded Yifan of his old neighbor's puppy. Jongin showed more of his childish side of him and for Yifan who was the only son, he kind of enjoy it to be able to pampered Jongin a little.

"I will do it for my dear dongsaeng, you have to help me if something came up, you hear me?"

Jongin gave a salute and a wink to Yifan, "Roger, sir!!"

Yifan sighed, a small smile on his lips as he stared down to the pool again. The wind was getting a little stronger and he felt a little bit cold. He had a week left and he already planned where he will go next month, but when he thought about it again, staying a little bit longer in the hotel wasn't a bad idea. He still had many things to do and many people to see.


 






"I won't tolerate it, the next time I saw both of you doing this kind of thing I will fired you in instant." Yifan glared at two young employees who had their eyes facing down to the floor.

"I understand the urges, the adrenalilne or whatever it is, but don't do it here. Not when there's a high chance for a guest to caught both of you almost had , don't you know it will bring the hotel name's down? Payroll cut for a week, I don't care if you need the money or not. You knew my rules already, now scram!"

The young man and woman apologized once again to Yifan before they ran away to go back on their work. Yifan bored holes with the invisible laser coming out of his eyes before he sighed hard when he was alone. Work was never easy, he was tired as always, but things like this always irritate him more than it supposed too.

He had been waiting for Baekhyun's reply for three days already and he felt like coming to the younger's house to see how's Chanyeol doing. He will help him if he can but Jongin said it was like a summer camp, but worser.

"Kris hyung?"

Kris turned and saw Tao bitting his lips. "Yeah, Tao?"

"Can I talk with you?"

"Yeah...come here."

Tao looked reluctant. He stood before Yifan but his eyes were anywhere but him. He hadn't put on his uniform yet as his shift hadn't start yet.

"Tao, it's okay, just tell me."

"I...need money." he said in small voice. "Can I take a loan? I really need money, hyung...I know my loan limit but can I borrow more?" Tao looked up with eyes full of tears that it melt Yifan. 

"Tao, don't cry here." Yifan said. 

"I-I'm sorry, hyung. My boyfriend is sick and I want to help him...I already took more shifts but it's not enough..." 

Yifan sighed, "Alright. Let's go to my office." 

Tao smiled, sniffling as he rubbed his eyes. "Thank you, hyung." 

Yifan patted Tao's back, "It's my job."





Tao told Yifan more about himself and his boyfriend, how they lived together and how his boyfriend was easy to get sick since he was a little. It was Tao who search money for them as his boyfriend could only work from home and he hadn't found any job where he could get a high income. Yifan encouraged Tao to work hard, that he will see if he can move him to another department with higher payment and the younger thanked him for it. 

Tao bowed to Yifan on the door, saying thank you again that Yifan waved his hand, telling him to just go back on work. He smiled when Tao grinned, his facial expression was different than an hour ago where he looked so desperate. 

After watching Tao walked away, Yifan's phone rang and he pick up, he heard a familiar voice that he didn't want to hear on the other line. 

"Appa." 

Yifan sighed, leaning his back to the closed door behind him. He felt drained of all energy, he felt like sleeping at the moment as his head started to hurt. He closed his eyes, humming when his father started to talk to him about the job, that he was sorry and knew it wasn't the plan but he told the story of when Jongin's father helped him and as a son Yifan could understand. 

He spent around five minutes listening to his father before finally the older man said good bye, telling him to make sure he took care of his health as he knew how his son sometimes forget to rest his body. 

"Yes, appa. I will go and rest after this. Please tell eomma I will call him tomorrow. Yeah, sure. See you soon."

"Are you okay?" 

Yifan turned after he hung up his phone and saw Suho staring at him. "Since when you were there?" 

Suho diverted his eyes, "Couple of minutes? I didn't mean to eavesdrop..."

"Nah, it's okay. Do you need something?"

"I...can I take a loan?"

Yifan raised his eyesbrows, "What for?" 

"Uhm...my friend..."

"Was it Tao?"

"Oh!" Suho looked up immediately to Yifan, "He already came to you?" 

"He did, just minutes before." 

Suho sighed, having a hand on his chest as he smiled. "Good. He said he was afraid to ask it to you so I want to do it instead for him." 

"How nice of you." said Yifan. The taller man saw Suho shifted his eyes again and whispered a thank you. "You don't need it anymore, then?" 

"Yes, I think I don't." 

"Are you still working?" 

"I'm on my way to take a break."

Yifan smiled, "Great. Come with me for a while. I need your help." 

Suho tilted his head as Yifan nodded, signaling him to follow him who turned around and head to the place on his mind. 

"May I ask where we are going?" Suho took big steps, trying to match with Yifan long legs.

"Out. I need a refreshment." 

Suho pulled Yifan's arm, stopping the taller man who raised an eyebrow. "But I have to go back and work quickly." 

"It's fine. It won't take long. I will cover for you if anyone complaint. I need a friend right now and Jongin didn't pick up my call earlier."