Chapter Twelve

The New Manager

-


 

 

Yifan was in daze. He slept too comfortable last night that he almost wake up late. He knew the reason why and immediately wake up to take a shower, a quick one at that as that one person's face kept coming and that's the last thing he needed in the bathroom.

Greeting everyone he met on the way to his office, it's like some kind of movie as how come people notice how he looked fresher and brighter than usual making the manager wanted to banged his head to the nearest wall. Was it that obvious? He took a quick glance on his reflection to the nearest glass wall and paused.

He had a freaking smile on his lips and he didn't even realize before he took fast strides to his office. Opening his office and pressing his back on it, he took a deep breath. He won't be able to survive until lunch. Lunch was like four to five hours to go and he's already itching to see Suho's face.

Not him, his other side which apparently fell deep into the smiling angel who just kissed him last night for a reason he still had to figure out. Asking the man himself will be embarrassing. He's not good at guessing game and taking help from his current friends were no use except for Yixing.

Yifan put out his phone and dialled his best friend's number.

"Hello..."

"Xing. Please wash your face and wake up. I need you."

"Uhm? Yifan? Uhhh...Wait a minute..."

Yifan paced on his office, bitting his lips and waited until there was a rustle on the other line, his ears perked up.

"Sorry. Hey, how are you?"

"Going crazy." Yifan breathed out.

"What happened?"

"This sounds stupid, but I think I'm falling in love."

There was a silent for more than a minute that Yifan pulled his phone away from his ear. Did Yixing hang up?

"Xing?"

"Are you playing a prank on me?"

"What?" Yifan groaned. "I'm deadly serious here! And a prank, what do you mean of that? Is that really impossible for me to like someone?"

"Yifan, all of your past lovers came to me and complaining that you're not a boyfriend material."

"Excuse me, I told them already how I will focus on my work, not them. It's their fault for not listening!" Yifan sat on his desk, one hand into his pocked as he had a scowl on his face.

"It's your fault for breaking their hearts."

"I did my best, Xing. You know how I am...that's why this...I don't know what to do with this. I can't read this man. He's like crying one time and the next second he's all smiling and I don't know how to react to that."

Yifan heard a sigh coming from Yixing. "Yifan. That's perfectly normal. People are like that when they're in love. You will give me a weird look when I'm with Minseok and see that side of me."

"Then what should I do, nothing?" the manager was tired, he kept thinking but he had no idea as it's always been his past lovers who did things to him.

"Yeah, nothing. But if you're sure you want to have a relationship again, please do it properly this time. Don't break his heart, whoever he is."

Yifan his lips, biting on it as he didn't know how to reply.

"What. Do you have something more to ask?"

"Yeah...how..." the manager cleared his throat, "How to stop thinking of him? It annoys me a lot I can't even work."

Yixing chuckled on the other line and if it's Jongin who's doing it, he swore he will smack the boy's head. "It's just the way it is and you can't change it. You will miss him all the times, Yifan. You really never felt it? You're such a terrible boyfriend..."

"Xing, you don't have to say it loud out..." murmured Yifan.

"May I know who's he?"

"One of my employee."

"Send me his picture."

"I don't have any picture of him."

"Don't you have his KakaoTalk?"

"No..."

"God, you're so hopeless...ask his KakaoTalk's ID as soon as you see him today." scolded Yixing with a huff.

"Okay. Anything else?"

"Yeah. Go to work. Why are you calling me this morning, I have to go outside of the room and Minseok won't be please when I get back."

Yifan bit his lips, "I'm sorry. Tell him it's urgent."

"Yeah yeah. Now go."

"Thanks, Xing."

Yixing hummed, saying a good luck before he hang up the phone. The manager drop his hand to his side, turning to see the blue sky but instead of feeling calm his heart beating fast.

"Yifan, work..." He shifted his eyes to his computer with a loud sigh. He needed to get it done really quick if he wanted to have that rest he needed.






Time was painfully moving so slow every time Yifan checked on the clock. The manager usually cursed for not realizing it's late already but this time, he cursed as he still had half an hour more before lunch time. His stomach was grumbling already and his head ached. He took off his glasses, rubbing his eyes and yawned. Taking a nap was a good idea to make time move faster so he put his head on his arms on the table, closing his eyes as he quickly went to the dreamland where he met a man with milk skin and warm smile.





"Kris-ssi..."

Yifan hummed hearing the voice. Even the angel's voice sounded pretty. The angel on his dream offered a hand, pulling him to the garden that was too large he couldn't see the end of it. He turned around only to see dozens of flowers, swaying lazily as the breeze asked them to dance along. The angel's smile was bright and Yifan replied with the same gesture, letting the man guided him around the garden.

"Kris-ssi..."

But how did the angel knew his name? The angel hadn't open his mouth once, as well as himself.

"Kris-ssi, wake up!"

Yifan blinked his eyes open feeling his cheek being pinched. He saw Suho on his eyesight, his bottom lip jutted out a little.

"It's lunch time, you have to eat."

"Seems he doesn't have much sleep cause of you, hyung."

"Shut up, Jongin."

The younger tanned man came to his sight with his childish grin. "Hyung! Let's go to eat, aren't you hungry?"

Yifan slowly straightening his body, making a crack sound and he grunted. Never sleep on his desk again, he should remember how many times he felt asleep working overnight. "I'm sorry..."

Suho was preparing the food on the coffee table at the other side of the room. Jongin sat across of Yifan with a smug smile. "How was it, hyung?"

"Hmmm?" Yifan checked on his reflection from the black screen of his computer, fixing his hair and jacket before turning to Jongin. "What did you say?"

Jongin tilted his head, pointing at Suho with his thumb. "Suho hyung?"

"Huh?"

"I heard the story. He said you--"

"Kim Jongin."

Yifan saw Suho walked into the youngest man, dark aura emitting from him as he put a hand on Jongin's shoulders, making the younger whimpered. "Okay, okay, let's eat first."

Yifan only raised an eyebrow as Jongin obediently walked into the couch, he saw an imagination of a pairs of puppy ears dropping above his head along with the swishing tail.

"Kris-ssi, let's eat."

"Yeah..."






Jongin and Suho watched Yifan eat like a hungry person. They used to see him eating a lot but this time he really looked like he didn't eat for three days. Yifan noticed the stares he got but he didn't care, having his full attention to the food and hummed as ke kept stuffing his mouth with it.

"Kris-ssi. Eat slowly, you're scaring me."

Yifan covered his mouth to apologize but continued eating and slower this time.

Jongin nudged the man beside him, "What did you do to him, hyung? Look at the amount he's eating, how could you know he will eat this much?"

"Jongin..." Suho kicked the younger leg, Jongin throwing a look at him as he rubbed his leg.

"Thank you for the food." said the manager after he finish cleaning all the boxes of food Suho brought.

"You're welcome." smiled Suho, stacking the boxes while Jongin wiped the table.

"I'll get back to work, then." said Yifan as he stood up abruptly. Jongin raised an eyebrow, Suho turning his head to the manager who walked back to his desk.

"Uh...hyung, we still have like...fifteen more minutes before the lunch time ended." the youngest his lips in worry, watching the manager getting comfortable on his chair.

"I know."

"We haven't talk, you know?"

"I don't feel like talking honestly...I'm still sleepy..." said Yifan, checking on his phone to see new messages and mails.

"Err...I..." Jongin felt something burnt his back and he knew what that was. He peeked over his shoulder to see Suho frowning hard. "I will go first, then..."

"No. Stay." Suho walked passed the youngest who dropped his head, sitting back on the couch and prepared to see what will happen.

"Kris-ssi."

"Yeah?"

"You know why I want to eat lunch with you, right?" Suho gripped the hem of his jacket, eyes staring into the manager who diverted his eyes from him.

"Cause you don't want to eat alone with Jongin?"

"Because I want to eat with you."

"We did eat together, Suho." Yifan lifted his lips into a smile but when his eyes caught Suho's displeased eyes his smile dropped.

"It's not only that, I want to talk to you too. Can you tell me why were you focusing on eating and not talking like what we usually do?"

"I'm just tired, Suho. Maybe we can--"

"That's what you said since tomorrow. Are you sure you're tired? Or is it just an excuse for you to brush me off? Do you know what time I woke up to make those food you eat?"

"No, I don't." Yifan replied calmly.

the smaller man frowned, "Are you seriously going to do this?"

Jongin bit his lips. He kept on checking his watch, counting the minutes before Suho explodes as the manager was so so stupid currently for not seeing how annoyed the pale man was.

"I don't know what you're talking about, Suho." Yifan kept his face straight. He needed to make both Jongin and Suho go away as soon as possible. Letting Suho came to his office will be the biggest regret Yifan did yesterday. He felt like the surrounding became blur, his eyes choose to focus and aware of every single things Suho did and that's why he focus on the food instead of starting conversation like usual.

"You're really..." Suho bit his lips, turning around to the youngest. "Jongin."

"Yeah, hyung?" Jongin lifted his eyebrows, correcting his position showing that he's listening.

"Can you please..." Suho took a deep breath, turning his head to the manager who flinched at the glare. Suho never glare to him. "I will leave this to Jongin and expect your answer tonight."

Suho walked to take the boxes he brought before leaving the room, making a loud sound when he close the door in purpose. Jongin exhaled hard, sinking into his seat as he groaned. "Hyung seriously...Don't you ever make my brother mad like that..."

Yifan propped his head with his hand, the other was knocking on the desk as he gnawed on his lower lip. "Why...why is he acting like that? I don't understand any of his actions since last night."

Jongin slapped his own forehead, "Hyung!! You're so...ughh, why can't you read it, it's so obvious!" he threw his hands in exasperation. "He likes you! My brother has been nice to you, he cooks for you, he eats lunch with you and for your information, he always rejects me before. He even listens when it's you who told him to take the job. Yifan hyung, seriously!?"

Yifan parted his lips, eyebrows raising so high. He closed his mouth, opening it just to shut it again. He tilted his head, "Wait, what? Brother?"

Jongin whined, messing with his own hair and nodded tiredly. No wonder his brother was mad. "Yeah...Suho or Kim Junmyeon is my brother. I told you before I have a brother, remember?"

"No, you didn't."

"Yes, I did!"

"Really...? I mean, you never really told me about him so it's natural for me to forget!" Yifan defended himself.

"Well..." Jongin scratched his neck, "That's his request. He didn't want people to know that he's the owner's son, people will treat him differently. He's not confident of himself so as a good brother I step up and cover for him while he starts learning slowly from the bottom. I'm just a temporary boss, okay? Our father's waiting for him to get ready. He called you here in hope for hyung to get a little motivation seeing how you love your work so badly."

Yifan pressed his lips tight. All this time...why he didn't notice?

Was that why he saw Jongin and Suho couple of times before? He recalled how Suho acted a little different when there's Jongin and just now too, it's quite noticeable as Jongin didn't as much as he did. And that last time on the pool, Suho mentioned that someone sacrifice himself for him...Jongin told him before how he gave up being a dancer to take care of the hotel.

Too many hints yet he missed it. Had he been too oblivious? Just like how his lovers told him how he never noticed the sad expression on their faces, how they longed for his attentions and touches?

"Hyung, I'm sorry that I don't tell you directly that Suho hyung is my brother. But I--" Jongin gulped when he saw Yifan stared up to him. The manager was giving the same expression he saw him for the first time. The one which said not to mess with him, the intimidating stare of someone who had high position and could do bad things in a lift of finger and it scared Jongin. The manager's jaw clenched hard, he breath hard and the hands that propped his chin was ball up into fists.

"H-hyung?"

"Who knows that Suho is your brother?"

"Uh...just Kyungsoo." Jongin diverted his eyes.

"Jongin. Tell me the truth."

"And Chanyeol, and Baekhyun, and I think Luhan knows too..."

Yifan massaged his temple, not ready to take this much news in span of an hour. He should focus on what Jongin said about Suho's feeling but to know that he lied, that Jongin didn't tell him either, and how the others actually knew. He had a hard time take in the truth that people around him lied to him, those people that he felt comfortable in.

The manager never liked it when people lie to him. He always knew when an employee pretend to be sick so they could take a rest. He always got mad at them, wanting them to be honest and said they need a rest instead of lying. Lies reminded him of his ex fiance, of how he lied that he will love him only. Taking someone's happines and trust from you was something that Yifan didn't want to experience for the second time.

Yifan admit it, that he had something for Suho. Like, maybe Love, but this...hiding his identity like that was something that he might not be able to tolerate. Was that why Jongin didn't do much to Luhan, as the pretty male did the same with his brother?

"Please go back to work, Jongin. I will work and think about this... News."

Jongin stood up from the couch, approaching the older on his desk but Yifan raised his hand, telling him to stop and not get any closer. "Leave me alone, please. I really don't feel good..."

Jongin gulped, nodding to the manager who suddenly looked like he had no soul inside. "I'm sorry, hyung. But he's my brother and I love him so much, enough for me to do anything to make him happy despite my own happiness."

Yifan tried his best to smile and nodded to Jongin who looked sad.

The manager definitely won't be able to finish any work that day and that's okay. As long as he finish it by the end of the week, he still had many time, long enough to think of the small man who had angelic smile that just cracked his heart.






Suho was waiting in front of the manager office. Five minutes more before he needed to knock on the door. He bit his lips, sighing and waiting while leaning to the wall. He turned his head to left and right, feeling relief that the hall was always empty all the times.

"Suho."

Suho lifted his head hearing Yifan's voice, smiling to the tall man but the manager only opened the door to let him in.

Yifan let Suho walked inside and closed the door. Suho felt lost seeing the manager had no smile on his face, he was waiting for him to say something but the taller man stay silent, walking to the couch and patted the spot beside him. Suho obediently sat there, body facing the manager with worried etched on his face.

"Kris-ssi?"

"Yeah."

"Now you're seriously mad at me, right?"

"Yeah." Yifan sighed, leaning his back to the couch, eyes trailing into the beauty that was Suho. Even with frown and his lips slightly facing downwards he was pretty. He really didn't have any resemblance with Jongin and maybe that's why he didn't realize that they're siblings. "Why did you lie to me?"

Suho dropped his head in submissive manner, like an employee who did mistake to his boss. "I'm sorry..." He glanced up, taking Yifan hand and held it with both hands. "Jongin told you why, right? You too know how I...am not confident with myself."

"You can be honest with me, Suho."

Suho shook his head. "No. You won't treat me like this if you knew..."

"You don't know me that well, Suho."

"I just want to take it slowly, okay? I never knew the new manager will be this...loving to his job. Almost all of them admire you, Kris. Just like when Appa announced Jongin will take over the hotel, the expression on their face...it won't happen if it's me. I can't stress myself, I always got sick when I think too much that's why I want to start from the bottom, not taking the loads which was too big for me to handle." Suho smiled bitterly, rubbing his thumbs on Yifan's big hand. "Does it bother you that much, knowing that I lied?"

"Much more than you can imagine. I told you I got cheated before and since then I hate it when people lies to me, an employee, or a friend. I want to brush it off but I can't, Suho. I can't stop thinking that you're capable of lying in the future because of this." Yifan stopped Junmyeon's hands, pulling his own to rubbed his temple as he shut his eyes. He hadn't stop thinking and got dizzy that he took a nap for hours which he rarely done, only to make his head ache even more.

"Kris..."

"I'm too tired to walk to my room..." Yifan whispered. He could hear Suho's breathing in the room and he felt like spending the night at his office. "Please turn off the lamp later."

"You really want to sleep here?"

A hand came to Yifan's arm and he opened his eyes. It was nice to receive a worry look from the smaller man. Suho's hand went up to brushed on his fringe, checking his temperature and the manager smiled a little. "I'm fine..."

"Do you have medicine?"

"In my room..."

"Let me get it for you." Suho wanted to stand up but Yifan prevented him.

"Don't. Stay, Suho."

"But..."

"Suho. I still haven't answer you yet."

The pale man parted his lips, making a small mumbled as his cheeks turned pink. He almost forgot his purpose of metting the manager. "Will I be happy to hear it?"

Yifan let out a breathy laugh, gazing to the ceiling. "What do you think?"

"I think that I will kiss you so hard if your answer is what I expected." whispered Suho.

"Then you better kiss me now." Yifan closed his eyes, peeking with one eye to see Suho's face brightened, he wanted to smile but held it by pursing his lips.

"Can I do something instead?"

"What is it?"

Suho moved his body, shifting as he's pressed close to the manager side, his arms wrapped around the taller's body. The manager put his hand on the smaller back, liking the faint smell of Suho's shampoo on his nose.

"I like you, Kris-ssi. I like the way you're so nice to your employee and looks charming all the time. I even hear the guests are talking about you, do you know that? I like the fact that you like to go shopping, the frown on your forehead thinking which to buy. I like it even more when you're looking serious while working and having you beside me when I'm breaking down, not wanting any of my family to know about what I feel makes me happy." Suho pressed his lips on the corner of Yifan's lips. "I won't lie to you. I will tell you every of my dirty secrets, if you promise to keep this relationship from my father."

Yifan was focusing on the confession the smaller man gave, how his eyes were so warm while giving the taller that beautiful smile of him which he loved to see. He blinked his eyes at the last sentence, "What?"

"Don't tell either my or your father about this, please?"

"Why's that?" Yifan surrendered to his urge to touch Suho's cheek, rubbing the smooth skin as the smaller man leaned to his hand.

"I don't want them to hurry us to get married, you said your father wants a grandchild."

Yifan widen his eyes before he buried his neck on the smaller neck to hide his blush as he felt his own cheeks turned hot, whispering that it's too soon to discuss about the matter while Suho giggled cutely, rubbing his hand on the taller's nape.

"I'm not joking that time when I said I want to apply as your wife, you know..."