Rose Castle

Daughter of Ardea

   x

   When I reached the bottom of the wall, Prince Sehun was already there as expected. After jumping off, I landed on my feet on a crouch. The Prince offering his hand to help me up which I gladly took, had been too comforting after my day of thoughtful concern. I was too anxious for tonight's meeting. I conflicted with myself whether I should tell him about what I've learned about Lady Selis and his mother's favor of her. I'm sure he's already aware that there was an elimination today but that would mean that he's also aware of his relinquished power in the contest. The one thing he thought he had control over. 

   He sits on the ground and pats the spot next to him for me. 

"I have something for you." He blurts out with a smile that could've melted the snow beneath us. It had snowed earlier that day. The first snowfall if I'm not mistaken. It's been hinting for days now with the cold air lingering longer than it should, my body had felt it night after night but not hindered me from my nightly escape. One of the reasons? This. His excitement. Prince Sehun's face lighting up when he sees me in the bottom of the wall waiting for him or the relief that flashes before him when I reach the bottom. It's truly bliss. I almost forget my troubles. 

  His smile only hastened my actions mirroring his glee.

"For me? What is it?"

   Then beside him he picked up a burlap covered present and handed it to me. I took it and opened it too fast in excitement. It was a full bloomed freshly cut red rose with its stem and leaves still intact. I look at him in confusion. 

   He straightened and cleared his throat before he began. "Congratulations, Lady Hei-Ran. I wanted to be the one to congratulate you first in your entrance to the Rose Castle."  

   For a second, I was blank unsure of how to process what he just said and what it can mean. Because for one thing, I've just received a flower from the Prince. I've never received flowers in my life. And another, I was abashed from the anticipation in his eyes as he awaited my reactions. Like a kid awaiting praise from his good deed.

"Thank you." I finally said breathlessly. I didn't know why it had made me feel this way. 

"Of course you get handed an official rose tomorrow but I wanted to... well you know." Lost for words, he began pinning the fresh rose on my night gown with care. "For everything you've done for me... Thank you for being here, Hei-Ran. If you don't mind spending more time with me, I would like to have you a little longer."

   I blushed. I know I pinked in the cheeks because there's a warmth all of a sudden even in this cold snow filled air.  But he had not stopped there. He took another package burlap covered and pulled out two plates of cake and two forks. Then I realized so suddenly his preparation for the night. I had not realized that I was sitting on a blanket covered ground. There were plated cakes with utensils and he had given me my entrance rose. If I didn't know any better, if I hadn't known already, especially with the many events Kai had planned for his women back home, I would think this would be a date. 

"Prince Sehun...Sehun. Thank you. How lucky your Queen will be, blessed with such a thoughtful man such as yourself." I wanted to say 'thank you for making me feel wanted. Thank you for making me feel like a real lady for once'. But none of that is appropriate for my station now.

"Then, I will keep you here. But you will prove to keep your promise and remember your position to keep your provisions."

   The words of the Queen haunted me in that very moment stopping me from deluding myself in this fantasy. 

   I must've grimaced because the Prince had all of a sudden noticed.

"You don't... like it?"

"Oh no! I like this a lot. I was just very surprised.... is all. Thank you very much for this." I pointed to the cake and forced a smile. "You know me so well."

   He smiled but I knew he didn't believe me at all. 

"I want to thank you... is all. There's only nine left because of your plan--"

"Eight!" I quickly corrected. And he looked at me in surprise. Silence lingered between us and for a moment he looked as if wanting to say something, pursing his lip but then pressing his lip in a line. 

"Eight. My father was happy. He felt as though I made a wise decision. 'Cleaning' was the word he used earlier." He smiled thinking about his success earlier with his dad. But it had bothered me so much. He was to proud of himself. Prince Sehun was almost patting himself in the back. My mouth had its own mind. It opened up before I had even filtered it. 

"Have you thought about how they felt? It had been too easy for you to let them go because of their short comings but... But how different am I to them? You keep me here when I am the biggest pretender of all. How could you stomach that? I am here to secure my stature in life. To help my father and I live comfortably in the future. I am here because I am scared that you might kick me out if I had no position beside you. If I had not offered you my help, would you have kept me? Sehun, I am the lowest rank as usual but the next lowest is an eleven. How does that even make sense? My Prince, my conscience is killing me now.  You say you're happy with our plan succeeding yesterday. I am too but you are deluding yourself in thinking you have real control over this whole thing." I stand up now embarrassed and angry with myself. Little by little I'm feeling my pretending and my position being too unbecoming of myself.  There is eight more participants. What then when it's only five, or three, do I have to help him still? Would he still keep me then? Would he keep me for convenience? Did he ever even looked at me as a real friend? Or has he always looked down on me and kept me in case he'd need me knowing fully well I wont say no. I am hurting inside flooding with sadness I have no idea how to place. When I had started to scale back up the wall, I half expected he would follow me or stop me or call out to me but he didn't. So trudged on with tears stinging my eyes, I did.  I had not even looked down to see what his response was. All I knew was that I was hurt and I had to get out of there fast. 

 

 

   I awake to my maids urging me to finally get up. The sun hadn't even risen and I was already ushered to my own bathroom.  No question asked, I followed with guidance. There's the Rose Castle Entrance ceremony, Prince Sehun mentioned it yesterday. I should be very excited and well relieved with my stability in this contest but knowing that I will be seeing the Prince today made my heart ache. I am a pretty determined person to do many things for my family and for our security but this somehow hurts so much and I can't place it, label it to be anything but guilt and sadness. Guilt that I am truly here for my own sake. And sadness because I wish to be here for more than that.

   When the lady participants arrived in the grand ballroom, the excitement I felt and heard during breakfast dissipated into anxiety. Though there was an elimination just yesterday and many people believed there wouldn't be another one until a couple of more days or weeks later, there is still this lingering anxiety in the air that buzzed in between the smoothing of hems and fixing of accessories. There's too much tensed breathing and terse tapping of heels and fidgeting.Yes fidgeting going on in a buzz among the participants. Mouth breathing, lip-biting, exasperated sighing, I felt anxious just watching the lady participants themselves. But sure enough when the doors opened, it was as expected. Everyone had pulled together yet again and a different face had been painted for the Prince to see. Their backs straighter, their face brighter, you would think they were different people all together. 

   A crowd of nobles filled the room one by one. I had not a clue for their names and positions but they all looked important. The regal and prestige just oozed in every bit of their presence. The gold and the jewels the delicate fabrics and the intricate fashion, the manner in the way they speak, walk, everything took me time to acquire and learn, these people probably had their family bestow it to them from birth.  I stood in my spot feeling small until my eyes caught a glimpse of my jeweled shoes and I realized they do not know any better. I stand here before them with no name plate, no card with my rank pinned on my chest. My dress is as intricate not if better than the rest. I almost look like I belong in the line of lady participants. Until, I see a noble woman whispering to another, gesturing to her own hair while she looked my way.  I knew then my position, my rank or name didn't need to be plastered in my chest. Because my red hair had given me away.  I do not doubt my stature had already been talked about since I was the lowest kept participant in the contest. My red hair would be the distinguishing factor right away. If not for the Prince's arrival, they might not have stopped gossiping about me right as I watched them.

"Crowned Prince Sehun of Ardea." Someone announced and Prince Sehun with Captain Lu Han in tow walked in with their shining uniforms. Too stunning that when the King and the Queen had been announced, I hadn't even noticed. Until, I felt a nudge from another participant urging me to bow. I was quiet placed far back in the line, thankfully, hiding my late bow to everyone important to see. 

   When I look up, I catch Prince Sehun's eyes falling on me and a gentle smile had worried me some more. It was as if last night's incident had no effect on him. He began to say something but something about that smile had bothered me from then on. He was too happy, too excited. Like a kid in a candy store or a man who knew he had won the lottery before it had even been drawn. 

"That's why it's my great pleasure to announce that the ladies before you have all been selected to enter the Rose Castle. They are to continue in participation for the position of the Daughter of Ardea." Prince Sehun ended his introduction and the crowd before us applauded enthusiastically. 

"You mean your hand!" A man says boldly then laughing boisterously.

   Prince Sehun turns to him and only nods in affection for the man. "Of course Uncle. That is the best part of all!"

   The tall dark haired man draped with green and gold heavy fabric had laughed and clapped in joy with his nephew's response. The short interaction and the way they looked at each other had told me the depth of their relationship and I was almost surprised to see the Sehun I usually meet in the bottom of the wall, somewhere between the ease of the gentle smile and the regard he had shown the other man. What a wonder as I looked up the man who now stands out to me. He is nothing like the other nobles in front of us. Though everyone is pristinely dressed just like he, he was built differently. Muscles showing in his clothes, he's also bigger and looks stronger than the rest. His skin is more tanned as if he labored under the sun like Kai and his father. The dark raven hair is so distinctly different from Prince Sehun's father and mother, I wonder who this Uncle is related to. 

   Finally the Queen speaks and I was shaken from my thoughts.

"It was said that the first lady participant who's given the first rose becomes the future Queen. Hadn't that been the case for us?" The Queen smiles coyly at the King, and the crowd "Oohs" and applauds her jest. Making the gesture of the Prince reaching out to the first rose stutter atop the silver tray.

   The King laughs at this. "Now, now. Do not pressure the Prince, my dear Queen. Though it had been quite the case for you and I and the contest before ours, it's not by tradition per say." He says it so coolly but there is meaning to his voice. Everyone became more expectant, eyes all falling to the Prince as he now gathers himself together and forcing a smile. He picks up the first rose with confidence like nothing happened and I could've been fooled. He wasn't worried at all. He looked undeterred from what his parents had said in front of many. His strides had not faltered when he walked straight to the beginning of the line and stands right in front of Lady Minah. My friend Minah. I was so ecstatic, Prince Sehun had listened. Not that I believe the hearsay that the Queen mentioned. But by god, I had been too expectant as well, nervous at his first pick. Traditions, hearsays, these things do not become anything but real until it is believed and proven. And if the King and Queen and the ones before them had gone through this same thing, I for one have no right to doubt it.

 

"Congratulations, Lady..." Prince Sehun stops and we all hold our breath worried of what's to come. But it had been more gripping when he had taken a step closer to Lady Minah. The lady smiled and nodded. The most elegant participant of all of us, she held her ground like she had been royal herself all along. Surely she was thinking what all of us was just thinking, but I can see in her eyes the greatness of a would be Queen and I believed the hearsay could be right again this time. I am sure Prince Sehun had made the right decision, unfaltering as he had made it and all. I was very happy at the moment to care about anything else. 

"I wanted to congratulate you in your entrance to the Rose Castle."  He began.

"Thank you." Lady Minah said breathlessly slightly bowing thereafter.  She offers her hand as we were told to do and he places a gold rose pin in her palm.

"Thank you for being here, my Lady. If you don't mind spending more time with me, I would like to invite you personally to the Rose Castle."

   She accepts and bows again. He turns right away and picks up the remaining pins handing them one by one, saying the same thing to every lady participant left. I had replayed the whole exchange with Lady Minah but I couldn't help but remember last night.

"Congratulations, Lady Hei-Ran. I wanted to be the one to congratulate you first in your entrance to the Rose Castle."

"Thank you." I breathlessly said. 

"Of course you get handed an official rose tomorrow but I wanted to... well you know." Lost for words, he began pinning the fresh rose on my night gown with care. "For everything you've done for me... Thank you for being here, Hei-Ran. If you don't mind spending more time with me, I would like to have you a little longer."

Have you a little longer...

"Congratulations Lady...Lady Hei-Ran? Lady Hei-Ran!" He finally says loudly and I was shaken from my thoughts. 

"Oh my! It's okay. I get that reaction a lot!" He jests and the crowd behind him laughs with the King and Queen joining in with ease. I shrivel to myself looking down to hide my embarrassment. Because that's all I can do when all eyes are on me. There's no scaling walls to escape to, no hiding behind the shadow I display as Minah. I could only hide my blushing shame by looking down as usual. I really would rather be dead right now, beheaded in the town square, at least then, they cover your head with a dirty burlap...

   But then the Prince reaches for my hand and grips them gently with two of his. He slowly pushes the pin in my palm and didn't let go. Holding on so precious I was electrified in my spot. looking up in shock to see intent in his smiling face. 

"It is with great happiness that I invite you to the Rose Castle. Congratulation, Lady Hei-Ran."  Prince Sehun smiles teasingly to me before looking away and joining his parents in the front of the crowd.

 

 

[No POV]

   When the lady participants were sent away to pack their small possessions for their move to the Rose Castle, the visitors had lingered a little before they too had been sent away leaving the closest of the family in the ballroom to congregate within themselves. 

"I had so much fun today my boy. You never let me down." There was a pat in the back and a pull to hug from his Dear Uncle Minwoo. Back from his adventures, he would've been the present King if not for his stepping down choosing adventure and life over the Crown. He is a secret in the line only known as a close part of the family, a cousin perhaps but not a brother to the King. That, only a few know.

"Welcome home, Uncle Min." Prince Sehun receives whole-heartedly. A man he looks up to. A man he cherishes like his own father. His Uncle Min had been a spark in the dark tunnel for him. A friend who leaves on great adventures and brings back not a souvenir but amazing stories of adventure, horror, success, courage and sometimes love. Vicariously he started to live through his Uncle since he'd been a boy of nine when he seen his Uncle come back from his travels in the North. It wasn't the lavish animal fur that he brought back that he supposedly hunted and killed that amazed the little boy. No, it wasn't the dare and the hunt and the frigid snowstorm that he endured to get back home to bring back his prize. No, not at all. It was the tale of the lost Princess. Of a broken Queen and her mad husband who tried to kill his own blood for power. It was his Uncle's part in an escape in to the wild to save the Princess to secure the line that led to the killing of the massive mountain lion and the enduring walk back home with the fur then on his back.

"Truly I envy you now. No travel of mine can ever equate to the luck you have in meeting all these women to vie for your hand. I truly envy you Prince Sehun."

"Oh Uncle. I can only ever imagine your great adventures. Though nowadays, my own adventures here is quite... interesting." Prince Sehun smiles a bit to himself and they lock eyes in quick understanding. Hoping to hide from anyone in earshot, the two had lowered their voices and quieted their glee. But it was not missed by his mother, the Queen. In instant, she had been in his side. She placed her hand on her son's arms gently and hummed her way into their conversation. 

"Quite an adventurer he is now, if I may say so." Both men bowed to acknowledge her entrance with smiling faces as they enjoyed their conversation thus far. Until...

"He's known as I believe... Sehun the Night Crawler?" She teases and laughs dryly at her own joke. But the Prince had not appreciated her tone and was also surprised to find out that she had any knowledge of the name. That bandit name was made up in a conversation down Lady Hei-Ran's wall in the dark of the night in their private time, in hiding. For her to speak it so easily like that, it tarnished the memory all together. He realized then that the Queen had had them watched for sometime now.

   His stoned face had mirrored his thoughts and his Uncle realized something was amiss.

"Boys need to be bandits and pirates before they become Kings. How else would they know to conquer?" Uncle Min says confidently. It's all it took to break the ice melting the anger in Sehun's heart. 

"True. But not all bandit and pirates can become King." She eyes the man with disdain before she bowed to exit the conversation wanting the victory in her side before the night ended. Uncle Min gave it to her. Though Sehun wanted to stop and tell her off, he lets her go as well. It had been a fight not worth the pain at the moment because Uncle Min is dying to know the details. And for once, Prince Sehun is excited to tell of this adventure. 

Sad Love- Minh Vuong

a/n: Hello everyone! I hope
you enjoyed coy Prince Sehun.
And thank you thank you for
reading and subscribing!