Man in Fedora

Pyra

Yva has been unemployed for over a week, though the resort management promised to give her a job once their new buildings are constructed. Eunhyuk, on the other hand was working for their living. Yvanna felt really sorry, she can’t do anything. Mrs. Paige often visits her and teach her how to cook simple dishes.

“It’s too early to cook for lunch dear” Mrs. Paige said the day Yvanna asked for her help.

“I’m planning to bring Eunhyuk lunch.” Yvanna said shyly.

“Well then, better make it edible” Mrs. Paige laugh.

Eunhyuk said he worked at a publishing company, as an editor. This guy surely finished school, Yvanna thought the time Eunhyuk told her.

“I’m here for Eunhyuk Nix” Yvanna said as confidently as possible. She was not used to be in a formal conversation or in a building full of professionals.

“15th floor, 1st office at the right side.” The girl said and gestured her to the elevator.

“Thanks”

After passing the first seven floors, Yvanna was left alone. She just glances at the small led screen with the number of the floors on it and wait as the elevator rise and stopped at the 11th floor. A man in a gray suit and a fedora hat low enough to cover his face. His head is quite bowed down as he pushed the button lighting up 14.

He turned to her and give her a slight nod, the moment he looked up at her made her grip the paper bag tighter.

That eyes. She knew them, from somewhere she wasn’t so sure. The man turns away his gaze, but she didn’t. She swears she knew him, but how?

Before the elevator stopped at the 14th floor, he turns to her again.

He nods his head, “Yvanna…” Her name escaped from his lips. She didn’t look at him, but instead she locked her gaze at the floor. His voice was familiar, but the way he says it made her shiver.

The door slides open and he walked out, she glanced outside thinking that he already got away, but he didn’t. He was staring at her from the outside. She meets his eyes as the door slides closer,  he was smirking at her.

#

“Yvanna” Eunhyuk greeted her.

“Hey”

“What are you doing here? Is something wrong?”

“No-no, I just brought you some lunch” She said and slightly raise the paper bag.

“You didn’t have to do that, but thank you”

“Eh, Eunhyuk! No dating! Company policy” A boy peeked in Eunhyuk’s door said.

Yvanna bit her lips, embarrassed because they’re not really dating, even if she wished they were. Annex just smiled, then closed and locked the door behind her.

“I don’t want to get you in trouble, I just want to give this to you then go” Yvanna explained. It wasn’t on her plan to stay, but she wanted to.

“Oh don’t worry about that, the guy’s just joking around, there’s no such policy.”

“Here” Yvanna placed the paper bag on his desk. “I should really go”

“No, you can just eat with me.”

“I didn’t pack for two” She said. What was I thinking? I should’ve packed more!

Eunhyuk insisted and she can’t refuse, after eating they talk a bit more. Eunhyuk’s office was quite big, she walked around and examine the paintings hanged on the wall.

“That’s ‘Garçon à la pipe’ by Picasso” Eunhyuk said as she stared at the painting.

“I should’ve known, if I went to school…” she murmured.

“That doesn’t matter, there are many educated people but are actually uneducated. You know what I mean?”

“Like the doctor who hired me as his daughter’s babysitter, but let me sleep in a dog caged for 5 nights because I tell his daughter that ‘happiness is more important than money’.”

“Yeah, like that.”

Yvanna stiffened and sweat as she smelled something…like a burning wood. She inhaled deep but her lungs refused to take the air in.

“Something’s burning” Yvanna gasped, “a match, maybe.”

She closed her eyes, she just look into the darkness of her eyelids until images began to appear, burning house. The man on the elevator’s stare. Burning house again. “Yvanna” she heard the man’s voice as if he was still at her side.

Her eyes shot open as Eunhyuk pulled her into a hug.

“It’s just a match, Alfred was just lighting his scented candle.” Eunhyuk assured her.

Her head was leaning on his chest where she can hear his heart beating. She closed her eyes and inhaled his scent, it erases the smell of burning wood out of her system. She felt relaxed, safe.

“Sorry, I panicked.”

“I know, I know.” Eunhyuk paused. “But it wasn’t only about the smell, is there something else bothering you??”

“Yes.”

He pushed her gently and look into her eyes so deep as if he can already see her soul, “What is it?” he asked.

She told him everything, about the fire when she was a kid, that burned down their house with her parents in it. Her confusion how she survived. How her phobia of fire started, how she escape every time she was captured and forced to live in foster homes.

She told him her nightmares, who had this scary image of her older brother, Miguel, with his lava-like skin. About this mysterious man at the elevator a while ago who knew her name. Then it hit her. The man’s Miguel.

“But I thought your brother died.” Eunhyuk said.

“I wasn’t so sure. I was 15 back then and nobody bothered to tell me who survived. So I thought maybe I was a lone survivor that’s why they throw me to foster homes.”

“Do you want me to check the 14th floor and look for your brother?”

She shook her head, she didn’t want to. She had these memories of Miguel killing their mother. She wasn’t sure if it was really just a dream, is it possible having the same dream again and again for three years?

“I have to go.” Yvanna said.

“You can wait until my work’s done, we can go home together.” Eunhyuk offered.

“You can’t work properly with me here, so I better go.” Yvanna reached the door until Eunhyuk called her and walk towards her.

“Take care, call me if you need me home” Eunhyuk said. She felt the warmth of his hand at the side of her face and his soft lips on her forehead. “I’m here no matter what.”

She didn’t respond, she can’t look at him knowing that her face was red. She has just run away home.

 

#

 

Yvanna reached their apartment and spotted a girl standing at her unit’s door.

“Excuse me, can I help you?” Yvanna asked nicely.