Helping Hands

Pyra

Yvanna woke up with the smell of bacon from her living room. She walks out of her room and saw Eunhyuk propped down on the floor, watching the early news on the television while dividing the food into two plates.

“I see you’re already comfortable around.”  Yvanna said as she sits down beside Eunhyuk.

“Well, good morning to you too, Yva.” He said.

“You know me within a day and you already gave me a nickname.”

“What? You don’t like me giving you names?”

In fact, Yvanna really like it. She never had someone to call her other names than Yvanna. It makes her feel a bit special. But she didn’t jump into conclusion that she’s special to him. She felt really comfortable. Hearing her name out of Eunhyuk’s lips made him shiver. It’s different.

“You’re the first.” She said. He looks into her like she was joking. “You’re the first to give me a nickname.”

“Yva. Means friendly, generous. Good-nature, talkative, independent, enjoys freedom and carefree.” His stare made her tense. “Suits you pretty well.”

“You really are great in giving name trivia.” She reaches her hair and tuck it behind her ears. “So where do all of this came from?”

Eunhyuk continue dividing the food. “Bought it. You really need someone, you know. Your fridge is almost empty.”

“I’m getting into the idea that you want to stay here.”

“Why not?”

“I just met you yesterday Mr. Nix.”

“Ok, fine. You think about it, but for now, let’s eat.” He pushed the other plate across the coffee table. He got up and pick up two cups of hot coffee from the dining table which Yvanna didn’t notice before. “Here.”

Yvanna gently reach the cup, their fingers gently brush at each other made her gasps.

“Thanks” She said.

#

Yvanna went to work, leaving Eunhyuk at the unit alone. It didn’t bother her, not because the boy gained her trust, but it’s because she doesn’t  have anything important if Eunhyuk wants to steal something. All of her money fits into her pocket without even bulging.

A week passed by and Eunhyuk never left, Yvanna doesn’t have any clue why she let a stranger live with her for the pass eight days but she admits he’s quite a help. She always woke up with a prepared breakfast waiting for her. She tried waking up earlier than her usual time to prepare breakfast herself, but she can’t, because Eunhyuk was way earlier. She always got home at noon holding a bag of frozen goods for tomorrow’s meal.

“Wait. How can you even cook meals, I don’t have any stove. Stores don’t open until 5:00am” She asked on the third day Eunhyuk prepared her breakfast.

“There’s actually a 24/7 convenience store not too far away from here, Yva.”

Yvanna sometimes give Mrs. Paige some foods that Eunhyuk manage to coo out of the microwave oven. The boy’s really awesome, and helpful. Mrs. Paige was happy at first, but after knowing that it was her roommate who cooks. And when Mrs. Paige knew that her roommate was a he.

“Looks like someone find a prince.” Mrs. Paige managed to tease.

“No. D-definitely not Mrs. Paige, h-he was just…” She stopped, noticing that she was blabbing like a kid caught passing a love letter in class.

“Oh, never mind Mrs. Paige. We’re nothing.” She quickly rephrased when she remembered that Eunhyuk always tells her that she’s his friend. “We’re friends.”

“Can be more than that dearie.” Mrs. Paige said.