Unknown One

Pyra

Ping!

 

The sound from the microwave snaps her back into consciousness.

 

She grabbed the hot container of the heated mac &cheese into the counter and let it warm down a bit before digging her fork into it. She gets her favorite cup out of the apartment and knock Mrs. Paige's door three times.

 

"A wonderful morning Mrs. Paige" she greeted with a smile drawn on her face.

 

"Hand me your cup, little girl." Mrs. Paige was her neighbor for 4 years. She was like her grandmother.

 

Yvanna was not really a 'little girl'. She was 18 and tall enough. Mrs. Paige is used to call her like that because at her age, she can't cook. The old woman defines cooking as "the essence of being a woman" but she understands that Yvanna is far away from being a cook.

 

Mrs. Paige appeared with a plate on her hands. Two strips of bacon, an egg (sunny side up) and a whipped cream topped waffle with some blueberries aside. In her other hand was Yvanna's cup now filled with hot water.

 

"You should visit me sometimes then I'll show you how to cook."

 

"Thank you Mrs. Paige but, you know I'll never ever..."

 

"Maybe at least you could buy an electric stove to start with?" Mrs. Paige said and handed her the plate and her cup.

 

"Thank you so much Mrs. Paige" Yvanna said and go back to her apartment.

 

Every morning has been just the same. She'll get up, heating frozen goods for breakfast, running to Mrs. Paige's door to get some hot water for her morning coffee. She can't cook. Not because she didn't want to learn. She's pyrophobic -- fear of fire. She'll probably faint just by the sight of the fire from the stove.

 

Electric stove was always what Mrs. Paige suggests. Maybe the old folk was tired of filling her cup with hot water every day at 6:29 am and to give her some food, REAL food.

 

Maybe if Yvanna find some other job, she can save some money to buy that freaking electric stove, maybe she can cook for her good neighbor instead.

 

She was up for work with her tattered jeans and a gray V-neck shirt. She was no professional. She didn't even remember wearing pencil skirts, gowns or stilettos in her entire life. Just her worn out class-A converse will satisfy her feet.

 

A day at the construction site passed by, she took off her gray shirt and change it into black before walking back home. She digs her hands into her empty pockets. The temperature drops and she was freezing. If only she didn't sell her last winter coat she'll be comfortable by now, but if she didn't, she'll starve to death. She calls them the 'dark days', the days where she can't find a job to earn money and thus, selling anything to survive.

 

Two men blocked her way in the dark street. She stepped back and turn around, but the other guy quickly blocked her, leaving her no space to run. She smelled beer and cigarettes. She was nearly sandwiched until the man on her back slips his hand into her jean's front pocket. She jumped off by his touch but can't escape.

 

"Relax my friend," the guy in front of her said, "we just need some money to pay for our drinks"

 

"Do I look rich to you?" She answered, not able to take off the sarcasm in her voice.

 

The man smiled at her then suddenly raise an empty bottle above his head. She closed her eyes, waiting for the impact, but nothing happened.

 

She opened her eyes.

 

A new figure stands in front of her, it's back facing her. The man at her back runs away. She stiffen, she slightly tilt her head and saw the drunk man, writhing in pain. The new stranger was holding his arms tightly, squeezing it until his veins were popping out of his skin. The bottle in his hands falls into shards. The stranger let him go.

 

Her money was safe. Maybe she needs to thank this man.

 

The stranger turn around and face her. He smiled.

 

She stood there staring back at his dark brown eyes. Overwhelmed by the sight of this unknown human being who made her heart skip a beat -- in a good way.

 

"Hello there little fella" he said. "Since I've saved your life, maybe I can crash into your house and stay this night?"

 

She really didn't hear whatever he said, but she ends up nodding anyways. The next thing she knew was she's leading him home.

 

⊙⊙⊙

Hope you like it ♥

And yes! This is not a boyxboy fic, I've noticed that most of the stories staring gummy Hyukjae is boyxboy and mostly EunHae stories so.. for those who want to read something different, this is definitely for you <3