Chapter 20

Pretend to be Nice

 

After food with the guys, Yoongi excused himself and walked back home, feigning tiredness. Even though it was Friday night, he spent the whole time in his bedroom, sitting on his bed, throwing a basketball at the wall again and again. He finally had to stop when his father barged into his room, urging him to “stop that ing racket!” and they got into a huge argument that ended only when Yoongi grabbed his jacket and stormed out of the house, his father screaming behind him.

 

He spent the whole night wandering the streets aimlessly and only came back home when dawn was starting to creep up on the horizon. He crashed into his bed and didn’t get up again until Sunday morning.

 

***

 

That weekend, Jang-mi was on a mission to cheer Jang-mi up. She’d made a whole schedule for it, too.  It involved studying, shopping, and a girly sleepover. Yisun wasn’t sure she was up to the idea, but she agreed because, what else was she gonna do anyways?

 

Saturday’s study session started off rather shakily, with her having a really hard time focusing and them having to take several breaks, but then when she had to explain something that Jang-mi was really struggling with, her teacher-mode instincts came back on and they went a full two hours without a single tear. Once it was obvious that their brains couldn’t handle any more cramming, they both got into their pajamas and snuggled under a blanket to watch Harry Potter. It was one of Yisun’s favorite movies, so she forgot her troubles for a little while. Then they watched the 2nd movie, and fell asleep on each other halfway through the 3rd.

 

The next morning, they had a lazy breakfast and got ready to go shopping. They arrived at the big complex in their town around 1 o’clock. Since it was Sunday, and so close to the holidays, the place was really packed.

 

First they browsed through all the cosmetics shops on the first floor, having fun trying on samples and trying to escape the pushy sales-ladies who tried to make them buy every single product in the store. Jang-mi insisted that Yisun try on some make-up, and she reluctantly agreed. “Only a little!!” she warned the store clerk, who nodded and smiled a knowing smile at Jang-mi. 20 minutes later, she was leaving that shop with a tube of BB cream, some lip-tint, and a new mascara in her bag.

 

“Ok, now for clothes!” exclaimed Jang-mi, putting her fist up in the air and marching ahead.

 

“Clothes? You know I don’t like clothes shopping…” complained Yisun.

 

“Hum… that’s kinda the point?” her friend shook her head at her.

 

“What is this, operation ‘reform Han Yi Sun’??”

 

“Oh! She’s figured it out!” laughed Jang-mi, feigning shock.

 

“I don’t need a make-over…” complained the shorter girl. “I’m fine looking just the way I do”.

 

“It’s not about that…” explained Jang-mi, linking arms with her friend, “every girls’ magazine says so: when a guy breaks your heart, the best therapy is a make-over! New clothes… new hair…”

 

“You are not touching my hair!!!” exclaimed Yisun, horrified, which made her friend laugh.

 

“Wasn’t going to. But you definitely need a new jacket.”

 

“What’s wrong with this one?”

 

Jang-mi rolled her eyes and kept walking, pulling Yisun along.

 

“What?? What’s wrong with it!?” .

*

A few hours later, Yisun was carrying several bags as she walked next to Jang-mi, and her hideous orange jacket was nowhere to be seen. Instead, she was now wearing a stylish, grey Chester coat, opened to reveal her small frame tucked into a pair of black skinny jeans and a fluffy beige turtleneck shirt. She’d compromised on the form-fitting jeans with Jang-mi (who had begged her to buy a cute dress instead), but this was as far as she was willing to go.

*

Yoongi spotted the two girls walking ahead of him, chattering happily and nearly toppled a little jewelry stand in his distraction. Muttering quick apologies to the owner, he quickly ducked into the nearest shop in case they’d noticed him. Once he was hidden amongst several colorful pillows (and other various home-décor items) on display, he turned around to stare at her as she passed by. She didn’t look that different, but there was something about her that made his pulse quicken. He’d never seen her in anything other than her school uniform, or that hideous oversized orange jacket, so maybe that was just it, he thought. And she’d always been frowning every time he saw her recently, but now, she was smiling and looking happy. That cute scrunched up smile that she’d given him so many times without noticing, and his heart gave a pang.


*

Later, the girls were on their way to the food court to get something to eat. After 2 hours of walking around and trying things on, Yisun definitely welcomed the idea.

 

“Oh sh*t!” exclaimed Jang-mi, stopping suddenly.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“I just realized I left one of my bags in the cabins at the last store!”

 

“Oh, then let’s go back”

 

“No no, you go ahead,” she said, pushing her friend slightly, “get us a table and I’ll meet you there in 5 minutes,” before taking off at a run.

 

“Ok…”

*


After several minutes had passed, Yoongi thought it was finally safe to exit the store. He was all too glad to leave since he didn’t feel exactly at home in a decoration shop… but just as he was about to reach the stairs, he heard a loud voice behind him that he somehow knew was directed at him.

 

“Ah-HA!”

 

He looked up to see Jang-mi looking at him. He didn’t say anything; just gave her a “wtf do you want” look.

 

“You know you should really hide that hair of yours if you’re trying to be inconspicuous.”

 

“I’m not trying to be anything” he replied, flatly.

 

“Oh no? Then why were you following us around??” asked Jang-mi,

 

“Follo-! What?! I was not following you!” stuttered Yoongi, slightly losing his cool.

 

“Why did you hide then?”

 

“I just..” and he stopped because he didn’t really know how to finish that sentence. He looked away. It was very unlike him to be at such a loss for words.

 

“You just…” she mimicked him, “you just enjoy tormenting people is what you do. Why the hell are you being such a jackass, huh?! What’s your problem??” Jang-mi really got in his face. A couple of people had stopped to stare at them since her voice had elevated to a rather loud level.

 

“Hum… why don’t we just…” he tried to grab her arm to take her somewhere else but she shook him off.

 

“Don’t ing touch me! Yisun might be afraid of a punk like you, but I’m definitely not!!”

 

He took a step back, stunned. “She’s… afraid of me..?” he said, and the pained expression that crossed his face was definitely not what Jang-mi had been expecting.

 

“I didn’t mean she’s afraid of you, just that she’s afraid to do anything about the fact that you’re an a$s and you treat her like sh*t”

 

“Well what’s it to you anyways?” he retorted, his wits returning.

 

“What’s it to me?!” she scoffed, “She’s my friend and I’m tired of seeing you messing with her cuz you’re bored! Find yourself another plaything!!”

 

“She’s not my plaything…” he said quietly.

 

“Then leave her alone!”

 

“That’s what I’m trying to do!!” Yoongi shouted back at her, finally snapping.

 

They both stood there silently, as if frozen. Jang-mi, staring in shock, and Yoongi avoiding her gaze.

 

“What was that?!” she asked after a while.

 

But he just looked at her with this intense look that seemed to be equal parts anger and despair. Then he threw up his hands in the air and yelled out a frustrated “aaaaargh!!” before storming off past her, leaving her standing there in shock.

 

“What was that…” whispered Jang-mi to herself.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys!
I felt in a rather giving mood today so I decided to upload another chapter without making you wait ^_^
Hope you like it!

Actually, this story is gonna come to a close very soon! only a few chapters left!! omg...
I really like all the comments that you've given me so far, so please keep them coming!
And if you like the story, please give it an upvote! It would really make my day.

See youuuu!