Chapter 22

Pretend to be Nice

 

 

Yisun came home and sat down on her bed, feeling exhausted. Why was Yoongi doing this? Why? She texted Jang-mi asking her to come over, and about 15 minutes later, her friend showed up.

 

“Hey babe, what’s wrong?” she asked once she saw the expression on her friend’s face, and sat down next to her.

 

And so Yisun told her what had just happened at school less than an hour ago.

 

“Oh, Sunnie…” said Jang-mi, putting an arm around her friend’s shoulders.

 

“You should’ve seen him, Mi. He seemed so sincere this time, I swear…”

 

“Babe… guys like that don’t change…” her friend said in what she hoped was a comforting voice. “And even if he did, he doesn’t deserve you. Not after what he did.”

 

“Maybe…” admitted Yisun… though she couldn’t let it go that easily.

 

“Get dressed!” announced Jang-mi, standing up suddenly.

 

“What?”

 

“We’re going out!”

 

Yisun looked at her friend with a puzzled expression.

 

“Finals are over, and we’re gonna celebrate!!”

 

***

 

 

The end of finals in Korea unfortunately did not mean the end of school… well, not quite yet. There were still two more days of special classes to suffer through, followed by the closing ceremony on Wednesday, and then – finally – they would be let off.

 

On Monday, Yoongi showed up to school bright and early. He heard whispers behind him as he walked in the hallway, which were probably due to his highly unusual presence at school this early, and the fact that his hair was now black as coal. Over the last several years, many teachers had tried in vain to get him to dye his hair back to its original shade (even going as far as spray painting him with a can once), but he would always show up again the next day with a new color, so eventually they gave up. Seeing him like that now, even they did a double-take when they saw him walk by.

 

Over the weekend, he’d come to the realization that if he wanted to get back on Yisun’s good side, he first needed to make her stop seeing him as a delinquent. Maybe it was a little far-fetched to think that a head of black hair and a properly buttoned-up uniform would do any good, but at least he was going to try.

 

Classes that day were especially boring, since all the teachers did was give back the tests and explain about winter vacation homework. Still, he tried his best to pay attention. During math class, he also tried to catch Yisun’s eye, but she never even looked at him once; not even a small glance. It was as if he wasn’t even there.

 

***

 

It wasn’t until the next day that Yisun even noticed there was something different about Yoongi.

 

“Oh my god! Exclaimed Jang-mi, suddenly, during the morning break, “is that Yoongi?”

 

Yisun suddenly perked up, looking around but not seeing his bright orange hair anywhere.

 

“There!” said Jang-mi, pointing into a classroom.

 

Yisun peaked through the glass window that gave into the classroom from the hallway, but all she could see were a few groups of students chatting, and one lone boy sitting at the back of the room, staring out the window. She gave a start when she recognized his familiar profile. Without his distracting hair and disheveled uniform, he looked just like any other student.

 

“Come on, let’s go before he sees you…” Jang-mi grabbed her hand and pulled her away.

 

***

 

After school, Yoongi was sitting on a swing in the park, listening to music. He wasn’t even swinging himself, just sitting there and twisting left to right, staring at the ground in front of him. All day he had tried to catch Yisun’s eye, and all day he had failed – again. He was getting really depressed about it. So he just came to the park and sulked. It was becoming a recurring theme.

 

After a while, V and Jimin ambled into the park, chatting and laughing.

 

“Oh hey, look, there’s Suga. Yo Shug-“ started V, but Jimin put a hand on his arm and shook his head.

 

“What?”

 

“No man, don’t even bother” sighed Jimin, quietly.

 

“Why not?”

 

“Haven’t you noticed he’s been mopey since the night of the party? Obviously something happened with that girl” The brown haired boy had to spell it out for his slightly clueless blonde friend.

 

“Well yeah but, we can cheer him up!” the younger kid added with a huge box smile.

 

Jimin shook his head again. “He’ll come around in his own time. Let’s just leave him be for now.”

 

“Ok…..” and V let himself be led away.

 

*

 

Much later, after he’d come home and showered (without eating dinner), Yoongi was lying in bed looking at his phone. He kept scrolling through the old texts he’d exchanged with Yisun. Now that he looked at them, they were ridiculous few and seemed so meaningless. He sighed deeply and then screamed into his pillow.

 

“I’m such an idiot!!!!! Aaargh!!!”

 

***

 

Finally, the day of the closing ceremony came. All the students in the school stood in the gym in neat rows, waiting for the principal to do his usual long-winded speech and for the teachers to tell them all to be good over the winter break. Well, there was more to it, really, but when it came down to it, that was the main point. That, and boring reflections about the semester presented by members of the student council.

 

“Omg” said Jang-mi as they walked into the gym.

 

“What” Yisun looked up, trying to see what her friend was referring to.

 

“Don’t look, but Yoongi’s in here.”

 

“He is?” before she could help herself, Yisun had cast a glance towards the space where class 2-6 was standing, quickly spotting the familiar back of his head, even though it was a different color now. Her heart gave an unpleasant lurch and she looked away.

 

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen him show up for one of these. You’d think he was trying to impress you or something” chuckled Jang-mi as they took their place.

 

“Haha, yeah right…” sighed Yisun. ‘I wish I could believe that was really the reason…’

 

As expected, the ceremony droned on and, after 30 minutes, they were all fighting to stay awake. Once it was finally over, they all filed out in the reverse order that they’d come in, which meant that Yoongi’s class would go first. As he passed in front of her, she looked up the see him staring at her, and it seemed to her that his eyes were pleading with her for something, but in a second he was gone, and Yisun was left staring at his back as he walked away.

 

‘Yoongi…I want to forgive you, but how can I make it so you don’t hurt me anymore…?’

 

***

 

That night, instead of celebrating, Yisun was home, pacing in her bedroom. She’d watched TV with her mom until that one had gone to bed, and after that, well there was nothing interesting on, so she’d just gone upstairs as well. But she couldn’t sleep. She felt so restless for some reason. Her first instinct had been to text Jang-mi to ask what she was doing, but then she’d remembered that Jang-mi had left to go visit her family in Jeju as soon as school had ended, and that her cell always got crap reception there. It was only for a few days, til after Christmas, but still, Yisun suddenly felt the void rather keenly.

 

She walked back to her bed and plopped down, staring at her phone. After having scrolled through all her SNS accounts and played a few candy games, she came to her message folder and it seemed to draw her in like a moth to a flame. She opened the conversation with Yoongi and reread all the texts they had exchanged.

 

** Are you ok? **

** What are you doing? **

** Are you sleeping? **

 

And then all the unanswered ones that she had sent him at the end. And she started crying.

 

‘Why did you have to be such an idiot, Yoongi?? Why did I have to fall for you??’

 

She looked at her bedside clock. It was past 1am, but she was going stir-crazy in there and she needed to do something. So she grabbed her coat and crept out of the house as quietly as she could.

 

The cold air felt welcome on her face as she stepped outside. ‘It’s so quiet out here, at night’ she thought, passing rows and rows of small houses and apartments in her residential development. She walked aimlessly for a while, letting her feet lead her and her mind wander, and then she headed to the park, where so many of these past few months’ memories had taken place. ‘Some of them good, but most of them bad…’ she thought, sadly.

 

The park was pitch black. There was no moon out tonight, and it had been hours since the park lights had been turned off, so she could barely see two feet in front of her as she made her way to the center. She walked to the monkey bars and put a hand on the metal contraption. In her head, she could remember the scene like it was yesterday. Yoongi jumping down to greet her; Yoongi standing right there, an arms breath away from her; Yoongi teasing her; Yoongi smiling at her – guilelessly, as if that was his real face, and not the one he always showed everyone else. The tears came again and she leaned her forehead against the cold metal to let them flow.  She recalled what had happened afterwards. The interruption, the denial, the horrible feeling of rejection…

 

She took a deep breath and walked over to where she knew there was a bench, a few steps away. She sat down there and sobbed quietly. ‘Why did it all have to go so wrong?’

 

She didn’t know how long she stayed there, crying, or how long it took for her to hear the voice. In the shadows, not far away, someone was sitting on the swings and singing a lullaby. She couldn’t hear the words – they were too quiet and too far – but she could tell it was a boy. She was afraid for a moment, but then she thought that if she couldn’t see him, he probably couldn’t see her, so she just sat there quietly, listening to his sad song.  It seemed to fit her mood.

 

She was so lost in her thoughts she didn’t realize the song had ended right away. And then he stood in front of her and put a hand on her head.

 

“Why are you crying, silly girl?”

 

She looked up, and it was Yoongi. But of course, she had known that before she’d even looked up, hadn’t she?

 

“Yoongi…” she whimpered, wiping her nose on her sleeve and trying to hide the tears, “What are you doing here?”

 

“Same thing you are, apparently…”

 

His stare was so intense that her breath caught. And then he gave her a soft, sweet smile. She had never seen him look sweet before. She had seen mean smiles, and goofy smiles, and smiles that came after teasing her, but never one like this. “I think that swing over there is starting to take the shape of my ,” he added, trying to crack a joke, “I seem to spend all my time brooding here…”

 

“You? You’re brooding?” she tried to sound sarcastic.

 

“Yeah, I know, sounds impossible, doesn’t it?” he gave a dry chuckle, “but… yeah…”

 

She didn’t know what to say, and stared at the ground. He sat down next to her. For a minute, they just silently sat like this, less than an inch apart, both unable to say anything. Then Yisun asked softly,

 

“Why are you such a bully…”

 

“You still think of me like that?” he asked after a moment, sounding hurt. Then he gave a big sigh. “I don’t mean to, you know… I never meant to… I was just… it was just the way I was before…”

 

“Before?” she piped up, looking at him, “before what?”

 

Silence.

 

“Before the Han Yi Sun train-wreck crashed into my life.”

 

He thought it would make her laugh, but she just stared at her feet again. Tears were forming in her eyes she whispered, “why are you so mean to me?” between quiet sobs.

 

Yoongi, distraught, quickly stood up, asking “What’s wrong?! What did I do? Please, just tell me what to do?”

 

She shook her head. Hesitantly, he put a hand on her shoulder. “Yisun…”

 

“You say these things to me… You pretend to be nice.” She hiccupped, “you pretend like you like me…”

 

“Yisun, I don’t!” he exclaimed, “I mean, I know it took me a while to realize that… Yisun, look at me.”

 

He put a hand under her chin and pulled her head up softly so she would look at him. Her eyes were glistening with tears.

 

“I know I’m a geek,” she said in a shaky voice, “I know I’m stupid; stupid for falling in love with you… but I’d much rather you tell me the truth to my face than mess with me like –“

 

Yoongi didn’t wait for her to finish her sentence. He grabbed her arm and pulled her up from her seat and into his arms. He held onto her tightly and closed his eyes. Yisun was so shocked that she didn’t even breathe.

 

“If anyone’s stupid here, it’s me” he breathed into her ear.

 

His arms tightened around her while hers still hung awkwardly by her sides, too shocked to do anything. He was so close that she could feel his heart beating against her ear; his warm skin under his shirt. She thought that if she moved, the illusion might break.

 

“I know what you’re thinking” he whispered in her ear, and she could hear the smirk in his tone, “but I’m not letting you go.”

 

Hearing these words, Yisun started to cry again. And slowly, she let her own arms wrap themselves around his chest and squeezed him tight.

 

“Shhh…. Please don’t cry…” Yoongi whispered softly, his heart breaking a little.

 

But Yisun looked up at him and she was smiling. “I’m not letting you go either.”

 

And they kissed.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!! XD

So did you like it? Did ya? Did ya? Did ya?

I hope you did ^_-

And now that you're done, please go give my story an upvote! XP

and omg, you guys... i hit 100 followers... I'm SO happy!!! It's like, the best present ever for finishing my story... although actually, it's not quite finished just yet... i have a little present for you... :p

Oh and btw, if you haven't yet, please go check out my EXO fic that I just started!

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/899061/lie-romance-originalcharacter-exo-xiumin-minseok">