Chapter 9

Pretend to be Nice

Yisun had been standing before the fountain for about 10 minutes before Yoongi spotted her. There she was, waiting for him, looking the same as always even though she was dressed in a pair of jeans and a giant orange puffer coat instead of her usual school uniform.

 

‘Sheesh, and I’m not even late too…’ thought Yoongi, making his way across the square to meet her.

 

He was almost halfway there when he abruptly stopped, turned to the left and started walking again. Fast.

 

“…” Yoongi muttered under his breath.

 

Not far off, coming from the direction Yoongi had just been heading in, were a group of rowdy teenage boys, messing around as they walked, talking loudly and laughing.

 

“Yo! Suga!”

 

He immediately knew he’d been found out as he heard a familiar pair of lungs belt out his nickname.

 

“Hey guys” he turned around casually, putting on a smile as he did that little oh-so-manly handshake thing guys like to do, bumping fists with his friends who had just rushed over.

There were three of them. One tall boy wearing sunglasses and massively blonde hair, a short one with messy brown hair wearing a kakhi bomber jacket, and another one, all in black with a snapback on top of his short black hair.

 

“Where’ve you been man!” called out the tall kid, giving Yoongi a friendly but firm slap on the back, “We haven’t seen you at all in the last 2 weeks!”.

 

“Yeah, well, I’ve been busy” shrugged Yoongi, nonchalantly.

 

“You haven’t gone and gotten yourself a girl behind our backs, have you?” teased the boy in the hat.

 

“Yeah, and she’s hella prettier than any of you idiots” he retorted, without any humor (which for him meant it WAS a joke).

 

“Aww, man… don’t leave us in the dark! Did you do it? Huh?” grinned the short one, elbowing Yoongi in the stomach, “you did, didn’t ya…”

 

Blondie slapped him behind the head. “There’s no girl, you moron, can’t you tell he was kidding?” and went on rolling his eyes as shortie nursed the back of his head. Yoongi just grinned some more, pulling out a cigarette from his pack.

 

“So where have you been then? You’ve missed so much!” asked hat guy.

 

“Yeah, that’s true” nodded bomber-jacket, “Kookie’s party last weekend… oooh! That was a killer!”

 

Yoongi stared at them as they went on explaining the going-ons of the last few days. No one seemed to notice a soft voice call out “excuse me” next to them.

 

“Oh yeah! And Jin got with Yumi, too!” added the other one, high-fiving his friend.

 

“No?!” exclaimed Yoongi as the other 3 nodded frantically. “Lucky bastard…” he grinned, pulling on his cigarette.

 

“Excuse me…” the voice called out again, a little louder this time, but still no one noticed.

 

“And speaking of Jin” one of the guys went on, “did you hear he started working at the bank?”

 

“What?! No way!!” exclaimed Yoongi, in shock this time. The other boys nodded as they chuckled.

 

“His dad’s the manager, he got him in…” they explained, “but can you imagine Jin in a bank?!” and at that they all broke into a terrible fit of laughter.

 

“Yoongi…” said the small voice again.

 

One of the guys turned around to see Yisun standing there. She had been waiting there for over a minute, waiting for them to take notice, but was just about ready to start pulling on someone’s sleeve to get some attention.

 

“Hey, do we know you?” exclaimed the dark-haired guy.

 

Everyone turned around and took notice of Yisun as well. She just stood there nervously, shifting her eyes from one to another.

 

“Hmm… Yoongi… are you ready to go?” she asked, finally mustering up all her courage – something she already didn’t have much of, particularly in front of this group.

 

They all looked at her incredulously, as if they were about to start laughing. “Hey, Yoongi, you know this chick?” asked the cute kid with the messy hair.

 

 “I think the geek thinks she has a date with you or something!” added Mr. Platinum, before they all started laughing.

 

Yisun’s smile left her face. Immediately she looked up at Yoongi for any kind of reaction, but he was obviously avoiding looking at her as he laughed awkwardly with his friends.

 

Yisun’s shock and embarrassment quickly turned into fury as she started glaring at Yoongi.

 

“Come on now, can’t you see you ain’t his type?” said cap boy.

 

“She ain’t nobody’s type!” exclaimed his tall friend, laughing.

 

“Go on, shoo! Shoo!” they told her, gesturing with their hands as if they wanted to shoo a dog away.

 

Yisun’s eyes started welling up so she turned around and started running. Meanwhile the boys watched her go, laughing their asses off. The kid with the brown hair actually fell on his , which only caused the others to laugh louder.

 

Yoongi still wasn’t looking.

 

“Aww... Come on man, you made her cry!” exclaimed one of the boys, faking compassion, before they all started laughing again.

 

Yoongi suddenly turned around as he heard that. But all he could see was her shape running at the end of the square and then disappear around the street corner. He couldn’t see if it was true that she was really crying. A surge of guilt hit him suddenly and he felt really out of place with these friends of his laughing around him. After all, she had gone through all the trouble just to get him an extra pass and there he was letting his friends treat her like crap and doing nothing about it.

 

“eheh… nerds these days…” sighed the tallest of the boys, “dun even know their place anymore!”

 

Laughter broke out again.

 

“Hey, sorry guys, but I gotta go” said Yoongi all of a sudden, having not heard a word of what his friends had just said and bolting off in the same direction Yisun had taken.

 

His friends, taken by surprise at his sudden lift-off, were left standing there staring at him get smaller and smaller until he was finally out of sight. No one said a word.

 

“Hey, you don’t think she’s really…” started the short guy.

 

“No Way!!!” chorused the other too…

 

“Yeah… thought so…” said the other one thoughtfully. But then they all shrugged it off and left, as loudly as they had arrived.