Chapter 3

Pretend to be Nice

Yisun was slowly making her way back home from school. It was 5:45 on Thursday afternoon and Yoongi had blown her off once again. She was muttering curses to herself as she walked. She felt so stupid for having fallen into his game. Every day, she would wait by herself in the empty chemistry lab, and every day, when she left, he caught up with her ready with excuses – each one stupider than the other – and promises to be there on time the next day; and like a fool, Yisun actually showed up every single day, thinking 'maybe this time…'

 

"Yeah right… as if that jerk would ever tell the truth about anything…" she grumbled, kicking a stone on the sidewalk.

 

"Ms. Han?" a voice behind her startled her.

 

Yisun turned around to see a car slow down on the road next to her and her English teacher's head pop out of the open window.

 

"Ms. Jenkins!" exclaimed Yisun, surprised.

 

"Do you need a ride home?" asked the young woman, kindly.

 

Yisun tried to turn down the invitation, but since she wasn't very good at standing up for herself, she ended up sitting in the passenger seat less than a minute later.

 

"So, you're going home pretty early, are the study sessions going that well?" asked Ms. Jenkins with a small smile.

 

"ehh…" hesitated Yisun, she knew that Yoongi would have her head if she told on him, "hum… Yoongi wasn't feeling well today so… we left early…" she lied, looking down at her hands.

 

"Hum… oh, I see, which is why I just saw him in Shin-Yen Park having a little party with his friends?" asked the white woman, raising an eyebrow.

 

Yisun's eyes nearly popped out of her head; she had been caught!

 

Ms. Jenkins chuckled, "I know he hasn't been showing up. I didn't really expect him to on the first try anyways…"

 

Yisun looked surprised. And then she suddenly felt really silly.

 

"You should've come to me right away, you know… but don't worry, I'll make sure he comes tomorrow" added the teacher with a sly grin.

 

A few seconds later, they reached Yisun's house and Ms. Jenkins dropped her off, so Yisun didn't get to ask any more questions.

 

***

 

The next day, when Yisun showed up at the lab, Yoongi was already there. He was sitting by one of the open windows, looking down into the soccer field, where the school team was having a practice match.

 

Yisun just stared at him and walked over to the nearest table to drop her bag. He heard her coming in and settle her things down but didn't acknowledge her in any way.

 

"Hello!?!" she finally shouted at him, after waiting several minutes.

 

Yoongi turned around; she was standing right next to him. "What do you want?" he asked her, disinterested, "I'm watching the game."

 

"Well you're here to study, not watch the game. Come on" said Yisun, in a tone that – for her – was very stern, closing the window and walking off to the table.

 

"Who said you could do that?"

 

His voice was ice. Yisun did not dare to turn around. She waited for the blow but it never came. When she finally did turn around, the window was wide open again and he was looking out of it once more. She sighed and returned to the table. She sat down and opened up her English books. Yoongi glanced at her from the corner of his eye but remained seated as he was.

 

An hour passed and Yoongi didn't move. Finally, when the clock hit 6pm, Yisun packed her books and left without a word. Yoongi turned around as she left and chuckled to himself.

 

***

 

Yisun and Jang-mi were sitting on the front steps of the school, having their lunch. It was Wednesday already, the weekend had gone by so fast, and Yisun had had 2 more unsuccessful study sessions with Yoongi since then. The girls were now discussing the matter – or 'The Yoongi Situation' as Jang-mi liked to refer to it –  for the millionth time since last Friday.

 

"Seriously girl, you cannot let him spin you around his finger like that!" advised Jang-mi.

 

"You don't know what he's like Mi, he's been harassing me since middle school, I feel uncomfortable just being in the same room as him, never mind telling him off!" explained Yisun.

 

"Hum… well, if you're not gonna do anything about it, at least stop going" protested Jang-mi.

 

"I can't do that"

 

Jang-mi frowned, "look, I know you want those extra credits, but there's gotta be some other way to get them"

 

Yisun shrugged. Jang-mi seemed thoughtful.

 

"So you're gonna go today?" asked Jang-mi after a while.

 

Yisun nodded.

 

"You’re just going looking for trouble, you know that, right?"

 

Yisun sighed.

 

***

 

Later on that afternoon, Yisun was making her way to the 3rd floor chemistry lab. As she got closer and closer to it, she couldn't help noticing that music was blaring from somewhere on that floor. She opened the door and it became obvious where the sound was coming from: someone had brought a boom-box in there and was playing it full blast.

 

Yisun walked in the room but it was empty. She headed for the radio and turned the dreadful music off. Of course, she knew that Yoongi had to be the culprit and that he couldn't be far off, but she dismissed that for the moment and started to take the books out of her bags. She hadn't sat down for 10 seconds that the music started again. She turned around and saw Yoongi sitting with his back against the window, a cigarette in his mouth, a cap sitting backwards on his head. He grinned at her fakely.

 

"It’s good beat, leave it on" he mumbled, not taking the cigarette out of his mouth.

 

"You’re not allowed to smoke in here" she reprimanded him with an aghast look.

 

"Everyone’s gone. Who's gonna know if you don't tell on me?" he was staring at her with a mean smile.

 

Yisun frowned. "Turn that off" she said, referring to the music.

 

"Leave it. It's good for me, Lil Wayne. It's in English, see, it's making me learn English!" he went on, before starting to laugh.

 

'Yeah, if you wanna learn how to tell your mom to off…' thought Yisun bitterly.

 

"I can't concentrate with all that ruckus going on" she said again, as sternly as possible, getting up and turning it off.

 

"Hey, I said leave it on!" barked Yoongi angrily, jumping from the windowsill.

 

"We’re not gonna get anything done if you keep messing around like that!" she retorted, sounding actually upset.

 

Yoongi was shocked at her outburst for a second, but quickly recovered by slapping her hand away from the radio and pushing the 'play' button again. As the music blared out, he puffed on his cigarette and blew the smoke right in her face before giving her a tight, squinty-eyed smile.

 

Yisun glared at him in a mixture of anger and defeat.

 

"Fine!" snapped the teenage girl, walking off and grabbing her stuff, "like I care if you fail or not! Jerk!"

 

"Hey! You're not supposed to leave! I'll tell on you if you do" smirked Yoongi, staying put.

 

"You won't have to do that, I'll go tell Ms. Jenkins myself that I QUIT!! Let her find some other er to help your case!" she spat at him before storming off.

 

"Hey wait!" called out Yoongi, chuckling, "Wait!" he called out again, rushing after her.

 

He quickly caught up to her and forced her to stop.

 

"Don’t leave. Who'll help me if you go? You know she won't find anyone else" he said, sounding serious, for once.

 

"I don't care. And you obviously don't want to be helped so what are you whining about?" replied Yisun. She was never usually this blunt, but Yoongi had pushed her to her limit and she had finally popped.

 

"Alright… I'll stop messing 'round…" said Yoongi, his famous grin making a reappearance.

 

"I don't believe you" said Yisun, glaring at him.

 

Yoongi looked surprised and the smile left his face. 'Is she actually standing up for herself? After all this time?'

 

Since he wasn't saying anything, Yisun took it as her cue to go. But as soon as she turned around, he grabbed her wrist, preventing her from leaving.

 

"Give me a second chance."

 

Yisun stopped walking and sighed.

 

"If I up again, you can leave, I won't stop you. Just… please."

 

'Why is he so serious about this all of a sudden? If this is so important to him, why is he always messing around?'

 

Several seconds of silence passed before Yisun turned around and started walking back towards the chemistry lab. Yoongi looked at her go with a confused look.

 

"Fine," she said without turning around, "but one more stupid crack out of you and I'm gone."

 

"Yes m'am!" he saluted , following after her.