Chapter 16

Pretend to be Nice

 

**No.** came the reply.

 

Yoongi took a deep intake of breath. He was sitting on his bed, it was 12:30pm, and he was maybe, possibly, a little bit drunk. He had just mailed Yisun suddenly – expecting her to be sleeping – but she had actually replied – No. ‘’ he tried to make his brain function properly, ‘what should I write back?’

 

**I’m sorry to reply so late**

 

**Oh it’s ok** came the reply.

 

He didn’t know what to say next. He didn’t even know why he’d mailed her in the first place. Just that, somehow, he’d really, really wanted to.

 

**I’m fine btw. Don’t be worried about me**

 

**Oh, ok.**

 

‘Damn, damn, that was stupid, why did I send that?? Huh… what should I say next…’

 

**I’ll be there tomorrow. Promise**

 

**oh, good :) **

 

‘She sent a smiley face.’ He smiled.

 

**It’s nearly finals so we need all the review time we can get!**

 

His face fell flat. ‘Typical.’

 

**If you say so…. -_- **

 

**lol**

 

‘Well at least I made her laugh…’

 

**I should probably let you sleep** he typed.

 

**Oh, right**

 

**Good night**

 

**Good night**

 

‘Oh, you are in so much trouble, Min Yoongi…’ he thought, letting himself fall back onto the bed.

 

***

 

 

“Hey”

 

The next day, Yisun looked up from her textbook to see Yoongi standing in the doorway. She looked up at the clock and back at him. He hadn’t moved.

 

“Well, what are you doing, don’t just stand there” she told him, trying to sound casual.

 

He nodded and walked over, taking a seat next to her. Yisun fussed over with some over papers, and grabbed one that was a handwritten bullet-point list titled “Countdown to Finals – The breakdown”, and scooted over so she could show it to him more clearly. He backed off suddenly and she gave him a strange look.

 

“Uhh… sorry!” he laughed nervously and brought his chair back.

 

She proceeded to explain to him what she was hoping to do for the next two weeks, since their time was very limited. He nodded a lot, and she couldn’t tell if her words were really registering, but then they got to work.

 

It was the most awkward session they’d had so far.

 

Yoongi kept spacing out, and making really stupid mistakes, and he’d laugh nervously at the randomest things she said. By the end of the hour, even Yisun – who was oblivious at best – had realized that something was definitely not alright with her favorite bad-boy. Yet, she was still too clueless to even imagine the possibility that the reason could be her.

 

*

 

Later that night, when she was at home studying, she couldn’t stop thinking about Yoongi’s awkward behavior. She had to stop when she realized that she’d read the same page of her notes 3 times already and shook herself. ‘He said he was fine. But obviously he’s not. But if I ask him again he’ll just be annoyed with me. Uuuurgh!!’ she looked at her phone and then put it back down, getting up and going to get herself a glass of orange juice from the fridge. When she came back, her phone was flashing.

 

**What are you doing?** it read. Her heart skipped a beat when she saw the mail came from Yoongi.

 

**Studying**  she replied.

 

**why am I not surprised? *laugh* **

 

**finals are in 2 weeks!!!!!**

 

She waited for an answer, but it didn’t come. She thought about writing something else, but then put the phone back down. She picked up her notebook again. Starting over from that page she’d read three times already. But then she grabbed her phone again and wrote:

 

**What are you doing?**

 

The seconds until he replied seemed endless.

 

**Me? Watching TV**

 

**You’re watching TV?!**

 

**Yeah, what’s wrong? Lol**

**Oh wait, you probably think I should be studying?**

 

**No, just that watching TV doesn’t seem like a very Min Yoongi thing to do**

 

**It doesn’t?**

 

**nope *laughs***

**too normal. Hahaha**

 

**Hey, I’m hurt…**

 

And it went on like that for much longer, and before Yisun realized it, it was passed 2am and she and Yoongi had spent several hours swapping text messages. Her notebooks lay quite forgotten on her desk, and she was pretty sure Yoongi hadn’t been paying attention to whatever he’d been supposed to be watching on TV. She couldn’t believe it. She thought if she let go of her phone and went to sleep, she’d wake up to find out it was all a dream. Eventually though, she just fell asleep with the phone in her hand.

 

The next morning she texted him that she was sorry and she’d fallen asleep, but there was no reply. And when she showed up to the math class they shared, she noticed his seat was vacant, which made her frown.

 

The day droned on, with Yisun feeling alternatingly elated and depressed (not to mention sleepy) and by the time the bell announcing the end of 6th period rang, her heart was beating so loudly in her chest, she was pretty sure everyone else could hear it too. She made her way to the A/V room, half-expecting Yoongi to not show up, half desperately wanting to see his face, and was surprised to see that he was already there, sitting on the windowsill, when she got there. He turned and smirked at her.

 

 

***

 

**So… can I call?**

 

Yisun stared at the screen. It was the 3rd night in a row that she and Yoongi had been texting.

 

**What do you mean?**

 

**Call. You know. On the phone**

**talking**

**with voice**

**like in the good old days**

 

She laughed. **sure**

 

She’d replied automatically, but now that the phone was ringing in her hand, her heart started beating in her chest, thinking that she must have made a terrible mistake.

 

“Hello?” she answered, in a voice she hoped didn’t betray her emotions.

 

“Hey” Yoongi’s voice echoed on the other end. Low and slightly raspy.

 

“Hi”

 

And then they were both so quiet that she could hear his TV in the background.

 

“So why did you want to talk?” she asked, wanting to fill the awkward void.

 

“I dunno. I just did.”

 

More quiet. Yisun’s heart was beating so loud in , she felt like he must be able to hear it too.

 

“So…”

 

“So…”

 

Crickets

 

“Tell me something” she said.

 

“Tell you what?”

 

“I dunno, anything. Tell me a story. Read off a soup can… whatever you like”

 

He laughed, “Ok”. And then launched into a story about how, one time, his friend V was trying so hard to impress this girl in a bar, and it had turned out she was a guy. His voice was a low sort of drawl, hypnotizing her even as she laughed at the punchline. It was the type of voice that belonged on a y, 30-something man, not on a 17 years old skinny Korean boy. She wondered why she had never noticed it before.

 

Once the ice was broken, they talked for hours. About everything. About how she wanted to be a journalist like her dad and maybe study abroad; about how he never wanted to be anything like his dad and had a surprising interest in art photography. They just talked and it wasn’t hard at all. It wasn’t like those awkward times in the A/V room lately, when they both couldn’t look each other in the face and just mumbled pleasantries as they pretended to care about English grammar. It felt free. Yisun loved it. She loved him. She realized it was the truth now. She was hopelessly in love with Min Yoon Gi.

 

“You’re not gonna fall asleep on me again, are you” he asked, much later, hearing her yawn.

 

“I’ll try not to” she gave him a sleepy laugh. The clock by her bed flashed 1:04am.

 

“We should hang up then. Go to sleep. I’ll see you tomorrow”.

 

“Ok” said Yisun, even though she didn’t wanna hang up, “goodnight”

 

“Goodnight…”

“Oh and Yisun?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

There was a pause on the other end.

 

“Goodnight”.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Oooh, you guys are lucky! 2 chapters in less than 24 hours! eheh. 
But i really like writing this kinda gooey stuff XP so i guess it comes more easily.

enjoy!