Chapter 11

Pretend to be Nice

“So he really took you out to eat?” gawked Jang-mi, “and he PAID?!?”

 

It was Sunday afternoon and the girls were sitting on the swings in a local park, killing time. Yisun giggled as she remembered the previous day she had spent with Yoongi. It had ended up not being so bad after all.

 

“Yeah” nodded Yisun, “he was really happy I’d given him the tickets so he took me out as thanks” omitting the part about Yoongi’s performance in front of his friends.

 

“It was just fast-food though” she added quickly, seeing as Jang-mi was opening to speak again.

 

“Well still…” frowned Jang-mi, “He ain’t the type to actually thank people when they do something nice…”

 

“How do you know?” suddenly asked Yisun.

 

“Huh? Well…” stuttered Jang-mi.

 

“He’s not that bad actually. People just think he’s like that but when you get to know him…” started Yisun.

 

“Oh, right, and you know him so well…” interrupted Jang-mi, rolling her eyes.

 

Yisun made a face. Jang-mi looked at her stifling a chuckle.

 

“Are you sure you’re not starting to have a crush on him?” she asked her best friend, with a large grin.

 

“WHAAAT?!?!!!” exclaimed Yisun, bolting off of her swing in shock, “Yoongi?! Are you insane!?!”

 

Jang-mi was now in tears with laughter. “Oh come on, Sunnie… I was just teasing…”

 

“Yeah well…” frowned Yisun, sitting back down, not finding anything else to say. “He’s not even my type anyways.”

 

“Oh? And what is your type?” asked Jang-mi, still in a teasing mood.

 

“Well, first off, someone who doesn’t skip class constantly…” started Yisun, implying that since Yoongi would never be able to fulfill this simple criteria, it was also useless to list the rest.

 

“Aww… but you gotta admit he’s kinda cute though…” went on Jang-mi, grinning at Yisun teasingly.

 

“If you like that kind of thing…” replied Yisun dismissingly.

 

“That kind of thing?” asked Jang-mi, finding it highly amusing and wanting her friend to elaborate.

 

“Can we talk about something else besides Yoongi?” asked Yisun, getting a little irritated, “or are you the one crushing on him?”

 

“Oh yes, you found me out, he’s my one and only” she retorted sarcastically before they both burst into laughter.

 

 

***

 

 

After the tests, and since he’d gotten such a good score, Yoongi had convinced Yisun to go on a short “break” and cancel their tutoring sessions for a few days. Since she had some work to catch up on anyways, she agreed. She hadn’t seen him all week, and that’s why she was rather surprised by his sudden intrusion at her table at the cafeteria on Friday.

 

“Where’s your Siamese Twin?”

 

Yisun looked up from her lunch to see him suddenly standing across the table from her. She paused, chopsticks halfway to , and very intelligently replied “huh?”

 

“That girl you’re always with”, he said, starting to play with the apple on her lunch tray, “I don’t think I’ve ever seen you go anywhere without her.” He flipped the apple in his hand several times.

 

“Will you stop that?!” she scolded, grabbing the apple away from him. “You mean Jang-mi? She’s sick. Why?”

 

“hmm…” he said, his attention on something at the back of the room, “oh, that’s too bad…” Yisun stared at him like he was from outer-space, but before she could even say anything, he just mumbled “well, I gotta go. See ya!” and wandered off, hands in his pockets. And she just sat there, open-mouthed, like what-the--just-happened confused.

 

Later, well after the last class had ended, he showed up randomly again as she was putting her shoes on at her locker.

 

“What is this, do you miss me or something?” Yisun asked, trying to crack a joke, and then just realizing how horrible it sounded halfway through saying it. At least Yoongi gave her the benefit of pretending to not having heard her, as he coughed and cleared his throat loudly.

 

“You ok? You didn’t catch a cold too, did you?” she asked, in concern. “You’re always wandering around with no jacket…”

 

“Oh no, I’m fine… I just… something went in the wrong way, you know…” and before she could say anything else, he something in her face and said “here.”

 

She examined the pieces of paper he was handing her and realized they were tickets of some kind, but she was still clueless. “What’s this?”

 

“They’re tickets for a basketball game.” He said, scratching the back of his head and not looking at her.

 

“Ok...” She said, confused, “…why?”

 

“My old sunbae’s team is playing”

 

“Ok, so why are you asking me?”

 

He looked up at her, but then looked back down again, fishing his phone out of his pocket and frowning at it. When he looked up again she was still staring at him.

 

 “Well, I know it might not really be your thing, but I got an extra ticket, and none of the boys can come… I guess I’ll just find someone else to give it to if you don’t wanna…

 

Yisun looked down at the tickets again, “It’s this Sunday.”

 

“Yeah” he said, having exhausted his list of pre-planned arguments, “it’s cool if you already have plans…”

 

“I don’t have plans” she told him quickly. “and I guess I could go… I mean… Why not?” she looked up, flashing him a small smile.

 

“Cool. Then meet me at the school gates at noon on Sunday.” He said, grabbing the tickets from her hand and shoving them back into his shirt pocket.

 

“Ok.”

 

She was done putting her shoes and scarf on, and though the conversation was obviously over, they just stood there facing one another, waiting for the other to speak.

 

“Well…” they both said at the same time, and stopped.

 

“I guess I’ll see you then” she said, heading towards the door.

 

He waved her off and just stood in the deserted entranceway watching her go. She didn’t turn around. She’d said yes though, which was good. So why did he just feel as if someone had punched him in the stomach? Shrugging it off, he walked back into the school.

 

***

 

The following Sunday, Yisun showed up at school bright and early. It felt weird to be there on a Sunday, but even so, the school wasn’t completely quiet since she could hear the baseball team doing practice runs out in the field. She wondered why Yoongi had wanted to meet her there. But just as she did, a non-descript grey sedan pulled up to the curb and honked. The window came down and she saw Yoongi’s face craned over the passenger seat. “get in!”

 

She sat down and closed the door behind her “you have a car?”

 

“It’s my dad’s. He’s letting me borrow it for the day” he said, pulling away from the curb.

 

“Oh” was all she could say.

 

“It’s in Incheon”

 

“What?”

 

“The game, it’s in Incheon.” He said, turning down the music that was playing, “it’s kinda far so it’s better to drive. Sorry I didn’t mention it before. Do you mind?”

 

“Oh, no it’s fine.” She said, waving her hands at him, “day trip!” and she did that smile thing that somehow made him uncomfortable again. So he just nodded and turned up the volume, and off they went.

 

About an hour later, they pulled up in the parking lot of Incheon National University and floundered around for a bit trying to find the gym.

 

“This place is so big!” exclaimed Yisun, as they walked around the campus grounds.

 

“Yeah, and so many people here even though it’s Sunday” added Yoongi, staring at a map one of the guards had given him.

 

“I guess school life never really stops when you’re in college…”

 

He looked at her and smirked “sounds like you can’t wait to get here, eh?”

 

“Don’t laugh!” she pouted. He started walking again and she followed him. “Don’t you ever think about where you wanna go to university?”

 

“Nope”.

 

“Do you want to go?”

 

“I guess I’ll have to.”

 

“Well it’s only one year away”

 

“So?”

 

She sighed. Obviously she wasn’t going to get much out of him on the topic of higher education. A few minutes later, they finally reached the gym and joined an already large crowd of people in the bleachers.

 

“Wow, this is huge” she exclaimed as they took their seats, “I thought it was gonna be just like a normal gym!”

 

He laughed, and it was a really high, free sound. His face opening up like she hadn’t seen it before, “No way. University level basketball is pretty serious stuff around here. And their team is pretty good.” He explained.

 

Yisun nodded. She didn’t know much about basketball, but she listened as he tried to explain the rules and the teams to her. Halfway through his explanations, the game started and he started cheering. Every once in a while he would pause to explain something to her, and pretty soon she found herself enjoying the game just as much as he was. It was pretty hard not to, considering how infectious his enthusiasm was. This was a completely different Yoongi. He smiled and jumped and hooted with delight when the team he supported scored a point, and looked as gleeful as a little kid when he turned back at her asking “did you see that?!”

 

In no time at all, the game was over and they were walking back to their car. It was still only about 5pm so he asked her if she wanted to go somewhere else. Since they were near the coast, she asked if he’d drive them up to somewherre she could see the ocean, so he took them to a little viewpoint where they could walk on the beach.

 

“Wow, so pretty!!” she exclaimed, looking at the waves rolling in and out. Yoongi nodded and just walked besides her.

 

They walked in silence for a while, wind whipping at their hair and skin, til she asked suddenly, “Why did you quit?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Basketball. It’s obvious you still love it. Why did you quit?”

 

Yoongi just shrugged. Then something behind them seem to catch his attention. “Oh hey look!”

 

 She turned to see him pointing at a little kiosk in the distance, and then he took off, shouting “wait up” and motioning for her to stay put. She waited in silent confusion until he trotted back up holding two little packs of paper containing steaming hotteok. He gave her one of the buns and bumped his with hers in a little “cheers” motion before biting into it. “umgf! Good!” with an expression of delight. She laughed at him and tried a bite. It was really good. Then they started walking in companionable silence again.

 

“My hyung cheated” he said suddenly.

 

“What?”

 

“In middle school. You asked why I quit”

 

“Oh, yes, but what…” she started, leaving her sentence open.

 

“He cheated and got caught.”

 

He was silent again so she waited for him to carry on.

 

“And he blamed it on me.”

 

Yisun turned around, surprised. Yoongi had stopped walking and was staring at the ground.

 

“This hyung. I really respected him, you know?” he looked up at her, briefly, “we all did. Heck, we all worshiped the ground he walked on. When he pinned it on me, nobody would believe me when I said it wasn’t true.”

 

 

“Oh…” whispered Yisun

 

“I got kicked off the team. Then I got into a fight with him and got suspended. After that, I just…”.

 

“Yoongi I’m sorry.” She put a hand on his shoulder.

 

“Ehh… well it’s no big deal” he said, flashing her the fake, sarcastic smile she knew so well.

 

Her hand fell. No matter what he said, she could see that it was a big deal. For the first time, he had opened up to her about something he really cared about. It was a huge deal. But she couldn’t say that; not when I-am-a-sullen-badass-Yoongi had made a reappearance after all this time.

 

“Well, why don’t you start again?” she asked instead.

 

“At school? No way. Besides it’s halfway through the year already”

 

“What about for fun?”

 

“I play with my bros sometimes.” He said, crumpling his napkin into a ball and tossing it like was a basketball into a nearby trashcan “though they ” he laughed.

 

“Well what about at the community center or something? I’m sure there are some non-professional teams you could join, with people who enjoy playing as much as you do”

 

He gave her a look like he was trying to figure out what made her tick and then just shrugged again. She sighed loudly, and threw her hands up in the air, which made him laugh. He playfully ruffled her hair exclaiming “this kid!” and kept laughing. She stuck her tongue at him, but then started laughing too.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Oh, look! I uploaded another chapter today! eheh, you guys are lucky! ^_-
I really like this Chapter cuz you get to find out a little bit about what makes Suga tick, (and why he's such an :p)

Please leave me more comments and upvotes! 
I love you!