Chapter 7

Pretend to be Nice

“’ssup.”

 

Yisun heard the voice and saw a small over-stuffed white envelope land smack in the middle of the textbook page she was reading. Looking up from her work, she saw Yoongi standing in front of her, looking outside the window as he blew warm air on his hands.

 

“Damn, it’s cold outside…” muttered the red-haired boy under his breath.

 

“Well of course it’s cold, it’s almost winter.” retorted Yisun, sarcastically, noticing that he was only wearing his school uniform, when he had obviously just come from outside. “Why were you out anyways? Class just ended…” she eyed him suspiciously.

 

“I don’t like Math class” answered Yoongi, understanding that Yisun did not really want to know where he’d been, but why he wasn’t in class.

 

Yisun frowned at him. Yoongi didn’t even notice as he was still staring out the window.

 

“Actually” added Yoongi, turning around, “it’s more Mr. Kim I can’t stand…”

 

“Yoongi, I thought you stopped ditching class!” exclaimed the teenage girl.

 

“Just English.” specified Yoongi.

 

“What about the rest? Aren’t you gonna fail if you don’t go?” inquired Yisun.

 

“Awh, geez, you and school…” groaned the boy, “I’m pretty good at Maths so I always manage to catch up anyways”

 

Yisun raised an eyebrow, disbelieving and unimpressed.

 

“Well, I don’t need your approval or anything so you can stop pretending to be my mom” Yoongi told her before she could say anything else, “aren’t you gonna open it?” he gestured to the envelope that Yisun was still holding in her hands.

 

“Oh, right” Yisun suddenly remembered the envelope, “what is it anyways?”

 

“Just open it” repeated Yoongi, grabbing a chair and turning it round to sit on it backwards.

 

“What’s that for?” asked Yisun after having opened the envelope, a puzzled look on her face; the envelope was full of more or less ragged bills.

 

“There’s 175,000won. You can count it” said Yoongi, waving his hand at her.

 

“Why are you giving me money? What is…” Yisun trailed off. A sudden thought had popped into her head. Wasn’t 175,000won the exact amount the school trip at the beginning of the year at been supposed to cost?

 

“… school trip…” she muttered.

 

“Yeah, I just remembered about that suddenly yesterday” shrugged Yoongi, “thanks for the loan” he added, smirking.

 

Yisun started glaring at him. “What, so if I’m tutoring you, I get special treatment but if I’m not it’s okay to bully me and steal my cash?!” she was really angry.

 

“Hey, I just gave it back, if you haven’t noticed. Don’t start yelling at me!” retorted Yoongi, getting fired up by reflex.

 

“This is probably stolen money too!” Yisun went on, waving the envelope in his face.

 

“Well I’ll take it back if you don’t want it!”

 

Yoongi made to grab the envelope but Yisun pulled back. He raised an eyebrow.

 

“So noble little Yisun doesn’t mind having stolen money?”

 

“Well, you stole mine first…” she retorted as an excuse.

 

“Pssshht… you’re no better than me” spat Yoongi; and before Yisun had time to retort anything, Yoongi had left the classroom.

 

Yisun sighed and sat back down, staring at the envelope.

 

***

 

“So he actually gave it back to you?!?”

 

Jang-mi was gawking at Yisun as they were walking on the school grounds during lunch break.

 

“Yeah, but it’s stolen money, Mi…” acknowledged Yisun.

 

“Who cares?! Have you ever heard of a tug giving back money he stole?? Besides, you don’t know for sure that it’s stolen.”

 

“What else could it be?” replied Yisun.

 

“You must really be doing something to the poor fella!” Jang-mi went on, chuckling.

 

“What do you mean?” asked Yisun, cluelessly.

 

Jang-mi shook her head and laughed silently. “Look,” she motioned to a tree not far off from them with a flick of her head, “why don’t you go apologize to him?”

 

Yisun turned around to see what Jang-mi was talking about and spotted Yoongi, sitting with his back against the large tree, smoking and checking his phone.

 

“Go on!” added Jang-mi, giving her a push in the back “y’ain’t gonna get your extra credits if he stops going!” she added, winking at Yisun before leaving her there.

 

Not knowing what else to do, Yisun walked in direction of Yoongi. He didn’t notice her coming up until she was right next to him. And even then, he didn’t acknowledge her presence and kept staring at his phone, scrolling endlessly.

 

“Hey…” she said, tentatively.

 

No answer.

 

“Aren’t you cold?” she asked, trying to make conversation, seeing as he was not wearing a jacket once again.

 

No answer.

 

“Look… I’m sorry about yesterday…” said Yisun, trying to fill the awkward silence.

 

Still he did not look at her.

 

“What do you want?” he finally spoke, but his voice was cold and standoff-ish.

 

“I told you, I came to apologize!” she told him with more confidence, before adding quietly, “I… I… thank you… for the money.”

 

Yoongi kept of ignoring her as he crumpled his cigarette on the ground. “What are you thanking me for? Isn’t it stolen money?” he added, getting up and wiping the back of his pants with his hands.

 

It was Yisun’s turn to be quiet. Yoongi made something that sounded like a small sarcastic laugh and walked right by her to leave. But as Yisun turned around to watch him go, she saw him raise his arm and give her a little wave from his hand as he was walking, along with his usual emotionless “see ya.”

 

She stood there for a while staring at him walk towards the school building, confused, as always, by his behavior. She would truly never be able to understand that guy.