Chapter 13

Pretend to be Nice

 

Even though Yisun kinda knew that Jang-mi was right and she has developed some kind of unwanted attraction towards Yoongi, she decided to just shove it down in the back of her mind and ignore it. She did not need distractions right now; especially not in the form of a rude, obnoxious, anti-social, yet occasionally y, disaster-of-a-teenage-boy.

 

Well, that’s what her mind was saying anyways. It was easier said than done to ignore the poundings of her heart when she had to see him every day being unknowingly so darn irresistible. Every time she saw him smirk, shrug, or rub his lips, she’d start swooning inwardly. Heck, even seeing him light up a cigarette would give her goose bumps – and she hated his smoking.

 

 

“I wish I could be a cigarette…..” she said wistfully to Jang-mi a few days later, as they were sitting on the school steps after lunch.

 

Jang-mi followed her friend’s gaze, which inevitably led to their favorite school misfit, sitting at the other end of the yard, smoking. “You are one sad, pathetic, human being, Han Yisun…”  

 

“You’re right…” Yisun sighed, “How did this become my life??” she added, dramatically.

 

“You should just confess to him…” said her friend, like it was no big deal.

 

“nononononononononono!!!!” Yisun’s reaction was so intense and sudden, and she even stood up. “No. no way. Bad idea”

 

“Why not? For all you know he likes you too.”

 

“HA!” Yisun laughed bitterly.

 

“But you guys have had like two dates already.” retorted Jang-mi, giving her a pointed look.

 

“Those weren’t dates,” she argued, “and one of them was…” she trailed off because she’d never told Jang-mi about that disastrous first encounter with his friends that one time. Yisun sighed. She couldn’t tell her friend that it was futile to pursue these feelings, and that Yoongi would never like her because he was embarrassed of her. And that she was even more embarrassed of herself for liking him regardless.

 

“…they just… weren’t dates.”

 

Jang-mi rolled her eyes.

 

“Look, it’s fine. I’m totally fine just being his… sorta… friend.” added Yisun, dejectedly.

 

“Obviously you are not fine when you are daydreaming about being his cigarette, eh?” she added in a deadpan voice, raising an eyebrow at her friend.

 

Yisun smiled sheepishly.

 

 “Well, ask him out again then” Jang-mi suggested.

 

“What, why?”

 

Jang-mi just shook her head like “god you are so dumb…”

 

 

***

 

 

“Wanna go see another movie with me?”

 

Yoongi looked up at her. He’d been working on a review quiz she’d just given him and she’d started daydreaming, waiting for him to finish it. When he looked up at her asking “what?” she realized that she had actually spoken aloud and immediately felt like crawling under the table.

 

“Aaaaahhh…. Hum… Hum… my dad gave me tickets to another premiere. It’s tomorrow.” She said, her eyes wide with anxiousness, and wishing the ground would just sink in and swallow her.

 

“Oh really?” he asked, with perked up, interested, “What for?”

 

Silent Harbor”* (fake title) she answered, not sure how to react since this was definitely not the reaction she’d expected.

 

“That horror flick?”

 

“Hmm…”

 

“Yeah, ok.” he replied, shrugging.

 

She just stared at him, “Ok?” she repeated, in shocked confusion.

 

“That’s what I said.” He knocked on her head with his fist and laughed. She only replied with a nervous laugh of her own.

 

He looked back down at his paper, “didn’t picture you for a horror fan though” he smirked.

 

“Why not?” she retorted; the question startling her out of her embarrassment.

 

“dunno, seems like you’d be all *kyaaaah!!* at the sight of blood” and as he said so, he pulled his arms into his chest in what he probably thought was an accurate imitation of girly terror.

 

She burst out laughing “no way!!”

 

“So what time is it at?” he asked, still chuckling.

 

“7:30”

 

“Got it. I’ll be there.” He nodded, before returning his attention to his paper and writing a few more things down.

 

“…and done! How’d I do?” he sat, grinning at her.

 

 

***

 

This time around, they managed to meet up without a hitch, and once they were inside the theater, Yoongi even bought popcorn for the both of them. They sat down, chatting and laughing, and it didn’t seem to occur to them that, yeah, to the outside observer, this looked a whole lot like a date.

 

They both enjoyed the movie – nobody screamed – and they even laughed at some parts. Yoongi was surprised that their tastes and senses of humor actually turned out to be pretty similar. When the movie ended, they walked out of the theater together and that’s when it got slightly awkward.

 

“Well, thanks again for the tickets, that was a good one,” said Yoongi, breath steaming in the cold, standing outside in front of the cinema complex. He was actually wearing a jacket, for once, a black Nike puffer thing, though he still wore it open, with a matching black beanie on his head. Yisun was, as always, wearing her old orange jacket, with a huge beige scarf and mittens.

 

“And thanks for the popcorn” she smiled, tilting her head.

 

And then they were both silent for a while not knowing what else to say.

 

“So… I guess I’ll see you on Monday?” he said, breaking the tension.

 

“Oh, yeah” she smiled, trying to hide her disappointment.

 

“I’d… walk you back to the station, but my friend’s asked me to drop by his party and it’s near here so…” he added, pointing behind him.

 

“Oh, don’t worry, it’s fine!” she exclaimed, maybe a little too cheerfully. There was a slight pause before she added “well… bye then!” and gave him a little wave before starting to walk off.

 

“’bye”

 

He stood there for a little while watching her walk away. She didn’t turn back around. He shook his head and fished his phone out of his pocket to see if he had new messages, but he didn’t even get the chance to look when he felt an arm slip around his shoulder and a familiar voice ask, “hey kid, had a nice date?”

 

He turned to see 3 familiar faces chuckling at him. The one with his arm around his shoulder was bleached-blonde, in a black and red sports jacket. He wore it with a grey hoodie underneath, which was now pulled up over his head, presumably to shield him from the cold. He was taller than everybody and also kind of their leader. They called him “Rap Monster” as a joke, because he loved rapping randomly and had a tendency to flip his sh*t at the drop of a hat. The second boy was Jimin, and he didn’t have a nickname; probably because his face was too cute and innocent for some kind of gang-name to stick him. Even though he was the same age as everyone else, his chubby cheeks and constant smile gave him an air of cuteness that didn’t really match the aura of their group. Same as before, he wore a khaki bomber jacket, except this time he also had a bandana tied up around his ears. The last one, a skinny black-haired boy who also wore a hoodie under his black leather jacket, was called J-Hope. He was pretty unassuming at first glance but, unless he was smiling, he definitely looked like someone you didn’t wanna mess with.

 

“Shut the up” spat Yoongi, shrugging out of his friend’s embrace as they kept chuckling.

 

“You should’ve introduced us to your girl, bro. So rude…” said J-Hope while the other two laughed.

 

“She’s not my girlfriend”

 

“Whatever you say, man” chuckled the skinny boy.

 

“Aaah, but didn’t we already meet her?” said the one with the bandana, “like, that orange jacket, it’s kinda … memorable…” and then he couldn’t finish cuz he was laughing too much.

 

“Yeah, yeah, yeah… make fun all you want. But the only reason I’m hanging out with that girl is because she’s tutoring me in English. That’s it” he punctuated his last sentence with wild arm gestures.

 

“Tutoring?” laughed J-Hope, and at the same time Rap Monster said, “You should bang her.”

 

“What?!” Yoongi’s face scrunched up in horror, which caused the other two to crack up again.

 

“Nerds are hot” added blondie, matter-of-factly. Then burst out laughing.

 

“You are out of your mind” replied Yoongi, shaking his head.

 

“Naah, it’s true,” added Jimin, “I heard somewhere they’re all secret s. You know, since they can’t get any” he finished with a giggle.

 

“’course you heard somewhere, not like you’d know” RapMon smacked him in the gut.

 

“Yah! off!” replied the first kid, “I have tons of !”

 

“Sure you do…” replied J-Hope, cracking up.

 

“pshh…!”

 

And even Yoongi laughed.

 

“So you coming to V’s party?” the leader asked him.

 

“Yeah, you?” he asked, and the blonde one nodded.

 

“Cool. You can tell him about your new girlfriend when we get there.” he teased.

 

“SHE’S NOT MY GIRLFRIEND!!” he fumed and the others laughed.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Hi guys! 
So, today is the last day of my vacation and my work starts again tomorrow T_T which means that I won't have so much free time to write, but I will try to update as often as I can! In the meantime, I hope you enjoy this chapter, and vote and comment and all that jazz!! ^_-

Oh and for those who are frustrated with the pace of Yisun and Yoongi's relationship, I'm really sorry, but they are really not done being idiots, haha... and this story is meant to be super fluffy, so... XP


take care!