Chapter Six

Nothin' On You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The answering machine was blinking when Hanbin reached home. He chucked his bag at the sofa and walked over to press the button.

Beep.

A familiar cheery voice resonated through the four walls and his heart wriggled with joy. "I'm surprised that you aren't home at this time."

"Oppa..."

His heart melted at the sweet angelic voice.

He could hear his mother uttering in the background. “Hanbyul, ask oppa when is he coming back?”

"When are you coming back?" Hanbyul squeaked and paused. Hanbin tilted up his head slightly before the girl spoke again. "Omma, why isn't oppa answering?"

His mother gave a childish laugh while Hanbin chuckled at the five year old's naivety.

"That's because we’re leaving a message in oppa’s answering machine, silly." His mother explained.

"Ooo... then when can I see oppa?" Hanbyul asked her mother.

“You’ve to ask him, dear.”

"Oppa, when are you coming home? I really miss you! Omma misses you too!"

His heart tugged at her girly voice.

"Hanbin, you heard your sister. Why not come home for dinner, I'll cook your favourite dishes." He presumed that his mother took the phone from Hanbyul.

"Yea! Yea!" He heard gleeful cries from his sister.

“So come home, okay. Say bye bye to oppa, Hanbyul.”

“Bye bye!” Hanbyul ended the call by smooching loudly at the other end of the line. 

“Bye bye.” Hanbin said stiffly. He walked over to his study table and his laptop.

Hanbin entered his password and the screen blinked to life. The desktop wallpaper was a photo of him and his family taken two years ago when they attended his middle school graduation. His beautiful mother smiled endearingly and he was holding the adorable Hanbyul in his arms with a triumphant grin on his face. Hanbin softened and found himself engrossed in those blissful memories.

Hanbin snapped his head up as he heard his mobile phone ring.

“Did you receive our message?”

“Yea, why didn’t you call me directly?” He complained lightly.

“That way I could spot check on you.” His mother joked.   

Hanbin made a face. “What can I do for you, Madam Kwon?”

“So can you come home this Friday?” She asked hopefully.

“Omma… I’ve something on.” He said quickly. 

His mother sighed. “Why am I not surprised?”

Hanbin grimaced, hearing the disappointment in her voice.

“Is it because of your father?”

Hanbin opened and closed his mouth. “Omma…”

His mother was smart; she noticed that his visits were often done when his father was not home but she never questioned him. 

Without any notice, the door burst open and an extremely pissed looking teenager marched into the lavish office.

“Hanbin?” The man stopped signing his documents and frowned. He was surprised to see his son; he hardly visits his workplace, let alone showing up with his school uniform. He glanced at his young female secretary, who had dashed in upon witnessing the boy’s outburst. 

“Sorry, President Kim! I had tried to stop him.” She apologized.

Hanbin ignored her complaint and folded his arms impatiently. He was staring pointedly at the man.   

His father noticed the boy’s odd behaviour. “It’s okay, leave us.” He said to his secretary.

“Yes, President.” She bowed and closed the door behind her.

His father closed the document file and looked up at his oldest child. “What is it?”

Hanbin stubbornly stood with his arms crossed although his father gestured him to sit down. “I’m not going to do the interview.”

“What do you mean? The reporters are coming to our house tomorrow.” He stated.

“I’m not going to lie to the public at how perfect our family is when it is not!” Hanbin retorted.

“What are you talking about?” He asked incredulously.

Hanbin clenched his fist tightly. “You’ve a woman outside.”

The old man looked up in shock. “How did you--”

“Find out?” Hanbin answered on behalf of his father. “The woman showed up at our doorstep today.”

“Soojin?” He widened his eyes.

Hanbin grunted. “Damn…” 

“Listen to me, son. I can explain.” The man stood up and took a step forward.

Hanbin swung his hand rudely away. “Explain what? That her being pregnant is a mistake?” He said sardonically.

His father blinked. “Pregnant? Impossible. I told her to abort the baby."

Hanbin cut him off with a horrified look. “You what?" Now he knew why the woman broke down halfway earlier and demanded that only his mother could help her now. 

"It was the best for both sides.” He rebuked.

Hanbin was appalled by his father’s cruelty. "That's a life that we're talking about!" He roared.

The man grimaced and said nothing. His main concern now is neither the baby nor Soojin. “Does your mother know?”

Hanbin glanced at his father’s anxious face and slowly shook his head. “No.”

His father let out a sigh of relief. “Don’t let her know, Hanbin. Believe me, it was a mistake between me and Soojin. I really love your mother.”

“If you really love omma, you wouldn’t have betrayed her.” His voice was filled with hatred and fury. “I lost my respect--” Before he could finish, his father raised his fist and slapped his face so hard that the boy stumbled backward.

Hanbin blinked at the stinging pain and wiped the blood on his lip.

His father was stricken when he realized the ring he wore, cut the corner of Hanbin’s lips. What he did was a reflex, he never liked anyone to disagree him. 

“Hanbin...”

The teenager continued to laugh sarcastically. “I guess we’re done.” He left without saying goodbye.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter