Chapter Eleven

Nothin' On You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next morning, Hanbin arrived early at the bus stop.

“Didn’t she say she’s going school?” Hanbin muttered.

As he checked his phone, a silver car pulled up and stopped by the kerb side. The passenger window winded down and Hayi popped her head out, waving happily at him.

"Yo, Hanbin!”

"Hayi?" Hanbin frowned and approached the vehicle.

“Come in, my dad's sending us to school today." She announced with a smile.

"Huh?"

“Hurry! We’re late.” Hayi griped.

“Okay…” Hanbin hurried and climbed into the backseat of the vehicle. "Eh good morning, ahjussi." He greeted. Her father nodded as he peered through his rear mirror.

“Appa, he’s Hanbin and, this is my father.” Hayi introduced.

"Were you the one, who sent Hayi home yesterday?” Her father asked.

"Yes sir." Hanbin replied formally.

“I heard the two of you were from the same middle school?" He asked again as he steered the vehicle.

"Yes sir."

Hayi burst out laughing and her father shot her a glare.

“Uh you can drop the ‘sir’, Hanbin.” He stated.

"Yes si-” Hanbin paused.

Hayi covered to stop herself from giggling. Hanbin reached out and jabbed her shoulder from the side. “Hey, stop laughing…” he hissed.

"Why do the two of you sound so awkward?" She chortled.

“Do we?” Her father tilted his head slightly towards Hanbin.

“No si-, I mean ahjussi.” He stuttered.

Her father chortled in reply. “Don’t worry.”

“Appa, are you really going to wear that tie?” Hayi suddenly asked.

Her father glanced down at his red dotted tie. “Why not? It’s a present from you.” He replied.

“They don’t match.” Hayi pointed out with a frown.

“Who cares? I don’t mind.” Her father shrugged.

“I’m sure you’ve other ties in your office."

“No. This is my favourite tie.” Her father stated stubbornly.

“Appa!” Hayi shrieked.

Her father flinched at her outcry. “Okay… I’ll change later. Stop screaming in my car, girl.” Hayi scowled as she envisioned what colour tie suits his blue shirt.

Behind, Hanbin silently observed their banter with interest.

“Appa, change to a navy tie.” Hayi stated.

“Okay, did you invite him this Sunday?” He whispered.

Hayi shook her head.

“I just know…” Her father clicked his tongue in disapproval. “Hanbin, are you free this Sunday evening?”

“Eh?” Hanbin looked up curiously.

“I’d like to invite you to our housewarming party this Sunday,” he said.

“You don’t have to answer him, Hanbin.”  Hayi interrupted.

“Hayi, please don’t be rude.” Her father remarked.

“It’s fine… Ahjussi, I’m used to it.” Hanbin laughed.

Hayi tilted her head to the back. “What are you used to?” She reached to pinch his arm.

Hanbin quickly raised his hand to block her attack. “Is it this Sunday? I should be free.” He asked.

Her father beamed. “Great, I’ll see you this Sunday. Could you extend the invitation to your other classmates as well? This lazy girl probably won’t do anything.”

Hayi shot him a look. “Hey… How could you call me lazy? I was going to invite them today.” She cried in defense.

They soon arrived at school and alighted from the car.

“Thank you for the ride, ahjussi.” Hanbin said.

“No problem. Thank you for sending my girl back yesterday.” Her father smiled warmly .

 “Yes, ahjussi.”

“Bye…” Hayi waved.

“Don’t forget to invite your friends.” Her father emphasized.

“Yea…” Hayi called out. They watched her father drive away before entering the school. “Uh you can ignore him.” She said.

"Don't worry, I'm really free on that day." Hanbin replied.

“How are you? Feeling better?"

Hayi nodded. “Much better.”

“What happened to you yesterday?”

"Gastric."

Hanbin eyed her strangely. "But you ate alot last night."

Hayi stopped and turned to him in dismay. “Alright, it’s cause of my menses?"

Hanbin went scarlet in his face. “Oh okay.”

"Are you blushing? This is why I didn't want to say anything." Hayi retorted.

"No..." He tried to act naturally.

"Anyway thank you for sending me home." Hayi said appreciatively.

"No problem, breakfast's on you." Hanbin chortled and started to list down the food that he wants.

Hayi widened her eyes. "What? You cheapskate! It’s only breakfast.” She complained.  

"Just get your wallet ready." He grinned.

Hayi pouted as they made their way to the canteen.

School started with history lesson and it was time for class presentations. Their teacher had every group representative to pick a lot and thanks to Bobby’s unlucky hand, they were the first team to present.

"I told you not to let me pick the lot." Bobby said as he crumpled the piece of paper in his hand. 

“Never mind, just do your best.” Jinhwan clapped their backs and returned to his seat after setting up their PowerPoint.

Hayi scanned the room for her group members. “Hello…” She paused, rubbing her cold and sweaty palms. Jinhwan caught her gaze and mouthed ‘fighting’. Yunhyeong gave her an encouraging wink and pumped his fist in air. Hanbin smiled at her confidently from his seat.

"Uh-" Hayi halted again. The audience could tell that she was having a stage fright.

Bobby suddenly leaned towards her from behind. “Relax, just do as we rehearsed before. You’ll be fine.” He whispered.

Hayi nodded and kept her script in her pocket. That’s nothing to be afraid, just be myself. She took a breath and started their presentation.

Bobby took over after she ended her part. He was the better speaker. Several times he engaged the audience with his quick witticism.

"Well done, Hayi and Bobby." The teacher complimented the presenters again after giving his feedback.

"You guys seemed to have a lot of fun at the Memorial Park." He added, pointing at the slideshow.

"Of course." Bobby said cheekily.

The teacher shook his head. "Alright, who's next?" The next group of speakers came forward as Hayi and Bobby walked back to their seats. She was relieved that the presentation was finally over.

“Well done.” Hanbin praised.

Hayi returned his high five. “Yeah.” She said gleefully.

 

++++++++++

 

“Hayi, do you have anything later on?” Hayi looked up and saw Jimin beaming before her. 

"No, why?"

"My club girls organized a group dating and we’re short of one member. Would you be keen to join us?” Jimin asked after the last lesson ended for the day.

Hayi burst into laughter. "Group dating?”

“Don’t laugh please.” Jimin gave a pointed look.

Hayi closed wistfully. “Sorry it’s just funny.”

"It's not." Jimin pouted and scrunched her nose. "I heard that the guys attending today are super hot." Hayi raised her eyebrow. "There's even a national representative.” The class vice-president said excitedly.

"In what?" Hayi marvelled.

"No idea, Seolhyun didn’t say." Jimin tugged her arm coyly.

Hayi looked suspiciously at her.

"Come on, join us." Jimin insisted.

"Uh okay... Where is it?" Hayi asked.  

Jimin squealed happily. "It's just nearby. HI! cafe, have you been there?"

Hayi nodded. It is the place where they did their project last weekend.

"Ready? Let's go." Jimin said.

"Bye Yunhyeong." She waved at the guy, who was still packing his bag.

"Have a great evening." Yunhyeong replied.

Hayi grinned. "You too, have fun in the gym."

Yunhyeong winked back.  

"Where are you going in a hurry?" Hanbin asked as he stepped

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter