Chapter Three

Nothin' On You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hayi and Yunhyeong returned to the classroom first, thinking that Hanbin would already be back but his seat was empty.

“Does he always act like this?” Hayi pointed. 

Yunhyeong glanced sideways at her. “Nah, he isn’t violent. It’s because those two refused to stop fighting so Hanbin stepped in.” 

Just then, their Literature teacher strode in and sent everyone back to their seats. Jinhwan and Bobby came after sending the injured boys to the medical room.

“Where is Hanbin?” Hayi mouthed.

“No idea.” Bobby shrugged his shoulders and faced the front.

By sunset, Hayi was finally dismissed. She let out a sigh of relief as Yunhyeong and Bobby came over to her table. 

Are you alright?” Yunhyeong expressed concern.

Hayi closed the book and sighed. “Huh? Yeah, I didn’t know English would be so difficult.”

Bobby chuckled. “You’ll be fine. You just need some time to adjust.” He passed by her and picked up the black backpack from the floor.

“You found Hanbin? Where is he?” She asked.

Bobby shook his head. “We’re going to put his bag into his locker. He'll pick up tomorrow."

Hayi was slightly distraught. "Oh."

“Are you going home?” Yunhyeong asked.

 “Yup.” Hayi said goodbye to the boys and took a bus home.

When Hayi arrived at her house half an hour later, she was surprised to see her father in the kitchen. “I thought you’re working tonight?”

Her father looked up. “I’m going back after dinner. Ahjumma has something on tonight so I let her leave first.”

Hayi opened the refrigerator door and took out the pitcher. “I see that’s why you’re wearing an apron tonight.” She chuckled.

“There isn’t much choice, I can’t let my daughter go hungry. I know what happens next when she is hungry.” Her father mocked.

Hayi gave him a stoic expression. “Appa…” She sat at the counter and watched her father chop up the ingredients.

“How was your first day school?" He asked.

Hayi swallowed a mouthful of water. "It was quite exciting compared to Busan.”

“Exciting?” Her father shot her a wry look. "If you can’t cope, you’ve to let me know and we’ll return Busan.”

Hayi’s jaws dropped in horror. “That wasn’t what I mean.”

“Well, we moved back so that I could accept the job offer at the University Hospital.” Her father said.

“No, you can’t give up your job because of me.” She knew how hard her father worked in the Busan hospital and finally his surgical skills got recognized.

Her father grew solemn. “I worry that you can’t handle the life here.”

“Appa,” Hayi looked pointedly at him. “I was born and grew up in Seoul, of course I can handle the stress.” She stated.

Her father gave her a look and sighed. “So did you make any friends?"

Hayi nodded. "I even bumped into an old classmate."

“Really?” Her father arched his eyebrow.

“Yep, you still remembered Bab-?” Hayi paused. Her smile disappeared at the thought of Hanbin.

"Something’s wrong?" He asked, noting the change in his daughter's mood. "Sweetheart?” He tried again.

Hayi stopped trailing the rim of her cup and glanced up. “Yea, what are we having tonight?”

Her father eyed after his daughter strangely. It was only her first day of school and she already seemed so distressed. “Omelette rice.” He took two eggs from the basket and broke them in a bowl.

"Hmm..." Hayi smacked her lips.

“Oh no, we ran out of ketchup.” Her father remarked. He stopped whisking the eggs and removed his apron.

“I can go.” Hayi volunteered.

“You sure?” Her father asked.

“Yeah.” Hayi grabbed her wallet, keys and walked towards the door. “Do you need anything else?”

“Just ketchup. Be careful.” Her father said and the stove.

“I’ll be back soon.” Hayi closed the door behind her.

 

++++++++++

 

Ten minutes later, Hayi was at the convenience store. She found the brand that they always use and went to pay at the counter.

As Hayi made her way to the door, she noticed a young man sitting by the window. She thought that the person looked familiar even though he had his hoodie covering half of his face. Hayi approached him and tapped his shoulder.

The person lifted his head, wide-eyed. "Ha-yi?" He sputtered and bits of noodles flew out of his mouth.

Hayi scrunched her face in revolt. "Ugh! Take this.”

“Sorry.” Hanbin quickly grabbed the paper napkins and cleaned up the spill. “What are you doing here?”

"I came to get something.” Hayi replied, showing him the shopping bag. “Where did you disappear to the whole afternoon?”

“I went home.” Hanbin replied.   

“What?” Hayi stared at him in disbelief. “Do you know how worried I was?” She slapped his arm and Hanbin jerked at the pain.

“Ow!”

Alarmed, Hayi saw his scraped elbow and remembered that he hurt himself in the afternoon. She checked his wound worriedly.

"I'm fine." Hanbin mumbled and shifted his arm away from her.

“Did you apply medicine?” Hayi asked.

Hanbin shook his head.

Hayi shot him an incredulous look. “How is the wound going to heal without medicine? Wait here.”

“It’ll heal by its own, hey Hayi!” Hanbin called after Hayi, who had scurried to the back of the store.

Hanbin jerked his head upwards when he heard a soft thud on the table. He darted his eyes to the pile of medical items as Hayi walked over to the counter to borrow a pair of scissors from the staff.

“Really… it’s no big deal…” Hanbin started.

 “Stay still.” Hayi yanked him down.

Hanbin clamped his mouth tight at her commanding voice. Hayi leaned forward and rolled up his sleeve. “It’s small abrasion.”

Hanbin’s expression softened as he watched her dab the cotton pad gently on his wound. “Uh, I’m sorry for this afternoon. I didn’t mean to snap at you.”

Hayi glanced at him before shrugging her shoulders. “I accept your apology.” She said coolly.

Hanbin stared at her in bafflement.

“Yunhyeong told me what happened. You were trying to stop the boys from fighting.” Hayi revealed.

Hanbin suddenly grimaced at the sensation.

“It hurts?” Hayi withdrew her hand quickly and cast him a worry look.

Hanbin forced a smile. “No. Did the guys mention anything?”

Hayi shook her head and took anot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter