Chapter Ten

Nothin' On You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A knock on the door made Hayi stopped drying her hair and glanced back. “Can I come in to check on my precious daughter?”

“Come in.”

Her father belatedly opened the door and stuck his head in. “Hey.” He gave a small smile while holding up a backpack and shopping bag.

Hayi flushed and stepped away from her cosmetic table. “Thanks.” She received the items from him and dropped them on the floor.

“I thought to have a chat with you before going back to the hospital.”

Hayi sent him a wry look after glancing at the clock. “Now?”

He nodded. “I’ve to check up on one of the patients.”

“Alright…” Hayi said contrarily. She knew what is going to come out of his mouth next.

Her father came in and sat on her bed while Hayi went to apply her skincare products. “How are you feeling?”

Hayi paused and peered through her mirror. “Appa, can we don’t talk about it?” She sighed.

Her father was adamant. “It’s partly my fault for your unruly behaviour at the restaurant. I should have told you that your mother’s joining us for the dinner.” He said. 

“Yeah, you should.” Hayi said without thinking.

Her father crossed his arms and gave her a dismal look. “Really? If I’ve told you beforehand, you won’t find excuse to miss the dinner?” 

Hayi stiffened. “No.”

Her father raised his eyebrow. “Hmm?”

“Maybe I will,” Hayi admitted.

Her father broke into a smile. “I know you like the back of my hand, sweetheart.”

Hayi made a face. “What’s your point?” 

He gently broached the subject. “Your mother and I had a long chat over dinner...” 

“Uh huh,” Hayi said distractedly while dabbing some moisturizer cream onto her face.

“… I’m thinking of inviting your mother to our housewarming party.” Her father announced.

Hayi snapped up with her eyes rounded. “What? Why?”

“She happens to be free on the day, so why not?” He shrugged.

Many thoughts ran through her mind and Hayi just blurted the first question that popped up. “Appa, do you think she wants a reconciliation?”

“Huh?” Her father seemed startled.

“Would you want to be with her again?” Hayi inquired.

Her father started laughing on her bed. “Wow, dear. You watched too much dramas.”

Hayi narrowed her eyes. “Appa, I’m serious.”

“I’ve never considered it before.” He said candidly.

Hayi pursed her lips and studied the man’s stoic expression. Obviously he still has feelings for her mother.

“Why am I not surprised?” Hayi sighed.   

Her father looked up and sent her a puzzled frown. “Not surprised about what?”

“Nothing,” she said.

Her father scratched his head. “By the way, what did your mother buy for you?” he asked.  

Hayi blinked and looked wildly around her room. The black paper bag was missing from the pile that her father brought her.

“You didn’t throw away the gift, did you?” He asked in a suspicious tone.

Hayi grimaced. “Of course not. I just haven’t opened the present yet.” She unexpectedly yawned and cupped . “I want to sleep now, appa.”  

Her father stopped at the door and looked back. “So about the housewarming party?”

“Invite her.” Hayi said quickly.

He beamed. “I’ll go ahead and invite her.”

“Yeah...” Hayi climbed into her bed and pulled the blanket over her head.

“Goodnight princess.”

“Nights,” Hayi mumbled. Her father was about to leave the room when she suddenly called out. “Appa, be careful while driving and don’t work too late.” She expressed concernedly.

“I know,” he smiled and turned off the lights.

 

++++++++++

 

Few days later, Hayi sat in one of the toilet cubicles when she heard voices outside. A few female juniors sashayed in to fix their makeup. One of them puckered her lips after applying the lip-gloss and turned to her friend. "Hey, I bought the magazine that has Junhoe and Chanwoo’s photo-shoot!”

“I didn’t know it’s launched today.”

“It’s Monday,” the first girl stated dryly.

Hayi perked up her ears and listened. Are they talking about the boys that I know? 

“Is it the one that Junhoe posed with a box of cereals?” A female questioned.

Her friend squeaked. “Ah, I want to see!”  

“Okay, lend you later.” She replied and continued to powder her face.

 “Oh, have you seen a girl hanging out with iKON recently?”

“Really?” Her friend said as she patted the foundation evenly on her face. “Didn’t you see the group photo circulating around the student portal?”

“Yeah, there’s a photo. Let me find it… I heard that she only transferred last week.”

One of them gasped. “Huh? One week?”

“Here…”

The two girls crowded around their friend.  

“Damn! Why is she so lucky? She must have saved a country in her last life to make friends with so many hot guys at one time.”

“Yeah, she seemed close with them, especially Hanbin oppa.”

“No way.”

“Boo… I’ll hate to see her with Yunhyeong oppa.”

“Oh yeah, you like Yunhyeong oppa.” She cackled. 

Hayi heard a snort. “Hey… If you see closely, the transfer girl looks like pufferfish.”  

“Pufferfish? I didn’t think of that.”

“Hahaha!”  

Hayi shifted angrily on her toilet seat as the washroom was filled with their giggles. She pulled and ripped off some toilet roll. By the time she rushed out of the toilet, the girls had disappeared.

“Don’t let me bump into you girls.” Hayi ranted.

From afar, Yunhyeong saw Hayi walking down the corridor and doubled up his speed.

Hayi spun around when someone tapped her shoulder. “It’s you,” she gave a cheerless look.

“Whoa, are you so unhappy to see me? I called you several times, didn’t you hear me?” Yunhyeong frowned.

“Did you? I was thinking about something.” Hayi mumbled and glanced at the boy behind him. “Hello, Jinhyeong.”

He gave her a brisk nod and tapped the older male’s shoulder. “Hyung, I forgot something in the classroom.”

“Okay, come find us at the library.” Yunhyeong said.

“Yea.” The boy said and dashed off.

“He still doesn’t like me huh?” Hayi commented with a frown.

“Huh? Oh, give him some time. He’s shy with girls.” Yunhyeong said and accompanied Hayi to the library.

“Oh Yunhyeong, do I look like pufferfish?” She asked randomly.

Yunhyeong looked baffled. “Pufferfish?”  

Hayi made a sullen face. “You also think I’m fat and ugly?”

“Why would I think that you’re fat and ugly?”

“You just did,” Hayi claimed and walked away.

Yunhyeong hurried after her. “Did someone call you a pufferfish?” he asked.

Hayi held her head high up and continued to walk on.

“Who called you pufferfish? Tell me, I’ll go after them.” Yunhyeong stated.

Hayi came to an abrupt stop. “Don’t do that! They’re your fangirls.” She hissed.

Yunhyeong stared blankly at her. “Fangirls?”

“I was in the toilet when a couple of girls came in and talked about you guys, and I happened to be in their conversation.” Hayi explained. “Do I really look

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter