Chapter Fourteen

Nothin' On You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"What are you doing here?" Jinhwan cast a furtive glance at Hayi, who wordlessly pointed at the girl across him. He tilted his head and saw Jimin staring at him angrily.

"I told her to join us. Do you have any issue?" She snarled.

"No. Welcome." Jinhwan cleared his throat loudly.

“Come, sit next to me.” Chaejin added.

Hayi sat down awkwardly beside him and glanced around the classroom. Everyone could tell that there was some tension between the two class leaders.  

Jinhwan folded his arms and looked at them. “Miss Song wants us to come up with some activities while we are at the elderly home. What do you all suggest?”

“We could do a play?” Chaejin quipped.

“That’ll be too meddlesome.” Jinhwan said harshly.

Chaejin closed his mouth and slumped in his chair. Jimin laid a hand around the dejected boy’s shoulder and shot Jinhwan a glare.

Jinhwan recoiled with his eyes flaming.

“He meant that we don’t have enough time to plan and rehearse for the play.” Jimin explained, while squeezing his arm.

Jinhwan strutted forward and purposely pried her hand away. “Hey, don’t harass our classmate so openly.” He said quietly.  

Jimin stared at him in shock. “What?”

Chaejin grimaced. “Guys…”

“Hold on.” Jimin wagged her finger as she stood up and glared at the class president. “What’s the meaning of that, Kim Jinhwan?”

“Nothing.” Jinhwan scoffed and turned to the whiteboard.  

Hayi almost choked in her laughter as she watched the pair. “How about we sing for the old folks?” She suggested brightly.

“Sing?” Jimin glanced at her.

Hayi nodded.

“Great idea. My grandparents like trot.” Yerin clapped her hands.

“Let’s do that then.” Jimin seconded.

“We could perform some old songs.” Jinhwan said slowly.

“Dance!” Chaejin suggested.

“We don’t have enough members.” Baekho interjected.

“We can always get the others to participate.” Yerin countered.

Their heads turned as they heard a ball bouncing from the common corridor and someone entered the classroom.

“Hey, Teddy bear.” Bobby waved.

Hayi rolled her eyes.

“Bobby!” Jimin exclaimed.

“You’re here at the right time.” Jinhwan grinned.

Bobby came to a stop and picked up his basketball from the floor, looking puzzled. “What?”

“This Saturday, are you volunteering at the elderly home?” Jinhwan asked casually.

Bobby nodded. “After my practice.”

“Awesome, we found ourselves some backup dancers.” Jinhwan beamed widely.

++++++++++

Saturday morning came and Hayi arrived early at the elderly home with Hanbin.

“Why am I also one of the dancers?” He grumbled loudly.  

Hayi glanced back at him and shrugged her shoulders. “Ask Bobby and Jinhwan.” She nudged the boy in front of him.

“What?” Bobby played dumb while flashing a wide grin.

Hanbin snorted and followed the female director as she gave them a quick orientation of the place and assigned everyone to their tasks.

“See you all later.” Hayi waved and headed out of the room. She had been assigned to change the bedsheets with Jinhwan.

Within the first hour, they completed the tasks they were given.

“You look like you’ve some questions for me.” Hayi said with a knowing smile as she changed the last pillow.

Jinhwan tilted his head and passed a quick glance at her. “Uh?”

“Come on, I was supposed to partner with Yunhyeong if you didn’t intervene. I heard you telling the director.” Hayi smirked as Jinhwan’s face twisted in shock. She tossed the pillow onto bed and moved closer to him. “You want to ask me something about Jimin?”

Jinhwan retreated a few steps and his face went pale. “How did you know?”

Hayi chortled and smacked his arm. “You’re so easy to read!”

Jinhwan narrowed his eyes. “That doesn’t sound like a compliment.”

Hayi suddenly pointed behind. “Oh, Jimin!”

Jinhwan snapped his head to the back, only to find the corridor empty. He turned back, with his face turning livid. “Hey Lee Hayi!”  

Hayi’s smile quickly faded. “She really passed by earlier.” She insisted.

“Yea right.” He scowled as he threw his pile of dirty bed linens into the basket. 

Hayi nudged him. “I’m serious, ask me any question, I’ll answer you.” She promised.

Jinhwan stared at her before asking. “What did you know?”  

Hayi broke into a sly smile. “You confessed to her in the middle of the streets, didn’t you?”

“Yeah.” Jinhwan said flatly.  

Hayi snickered loudly. She secretly enjoyed watching the uptight Jinhwan.

“Don’t laugh. She doesn’t like me anyway.” Jinhwan warned.

Hayi recomposed herself and stared at him.

“What? Did she say anything?” Jinhwan asked.  

Hayi shook her head. “She didn’t say much but she was quite defensive when she talks about you.”

Jinhwan raised his eyebrow.

Hayi laid a finger on her chin thoughtfully. “I think she likes you.”

“Really?” Jinhwan felt exuberant.

Hayi shrugged. “Well, it’s only my analysis, I may be wrong.”

Jinhwan paused and looked at her for a second. “She likes me!” He gasped.

Hayi glanced at him and chuckled to herself. “Give her some time to accept you.”

Jinhwan beamed dreamily.

“Excuse me?”

They looked behind and saw Jimin strode towards them in the corridor. Jinhwan put down his basket of laundry and met up with her.

“Chaejin is looking for you.” She said.

“Now?” Jinhwan asked.

“Yeah, we’re having some technical difficulty with the music. Are you coming?” Jimin cast another look at him before walking away.

“Wait, Jimin.” Jinhwan yelled after her and turned to Hayi hurriedly. “Can you find your way? The laundry room is the last room.”

She nodded.

“I’ll bring her there, Jinhwan.” A granny came forward and offered help.

“Thank you, halmoni.” Hayi beamed and Jinhwan left promptly after an apology.

“How are you doing? Should I find someone to help you?” The granny looked at her.

Hayi stopped to catch her breath and wiped the sweat off her forehead. She was actually pretty impressed that she managed to drag the heavy basket all by herself.

“It’s alright, the room’s-- Halmoni!” Hayi suddenly raised her voice as she watched the old lady approach the unsuspecting boy.

Hanbin was wiping the windows with a rag when he felt a hard slap against his backside. He jumped and looked back. An elderly lady stared at him with a cheeky grin on her face. “Hi!”

Did I just get molested? Hanbin swallowed hard and covered his rear defensively.

The granny spun around and showed a thumb up to her young companion, who was struggling not to laugh. “His backside is firm. Very good!” She snickered.

Hayi could not take the comment finally and burst out laughing.

Hanbin’s face darkened quickly. “Yah! Lee Hayi! Did you tell her to do that?” he snapped.  

Hayi chortled. “Halmoni, you should squeeze his arm muscles if you want him to help me. You got it wrong!”

Nodding, the granny squeezed his biceps brashly. “Ooh… Okay, sweetheart. He’s the one.” She chuckled. 

“Yes, halmoni.” Hayi crooned.

Hanbin frowned at their inside joke. “What I’m the one?” he hissed, demanding an explanation from the girl.

“Go help the young lady carry the dirty linen to  the laundry room. ” The granny ordered and patted his lightly. “He’s so cute.”

Embarrassed, Hanbin dumped the rag into the bucket and walked over to help Hayi. She was still laughing at him and he cast her a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter