Chapter Sixteen

Nothin' On You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hayi ran to the door and smiled at the visitors. “Hi guys!”

Jinhwan put down his heavy plastic bags and stared at her in disbelief. “Goodness, you guys live just across each other!”

“Uh yeah.” Hanbin said dryly. “Why do you sound like Bobby?”

Jinhwan scrunched his face. “Oh man, did I really sound like him?”

Everyone burst into laughter.

“Yes you did, that annoying voice.” Jimin pointed out bluntly and Jinhwan made a face at her.

“Speaking the truth.” She shrugged her shoulders and looked away.

Hayi looked at the group. “Oh, where is Bobby?”

“No idea.” Yunhyeong glanced at Hanbin, who looked up with a hand stuffed in his pocket. “I’ll call him.” He said stiffly.   

Hayi glanced at him in surprise. “Really?”

“Later.” Hanbin smirked.

Hayi scowled in reply.

Jimin stepped forward to prevent an argument from happening. “Hey Hayi. This is from all of us, happy housewarming to you!” She handed her a petite-sized potted plant. “Do you like it?”

“This is cute.” Hayi remarked.   

Yunhyeong chuckled and cleared his throat. “Ladies, sorry to interrupt your conversation, but can we go in?”

“Of course! Come in.” Hayi brought them into her house. 

“Your house is big.” Jinhwan marvelled.

“How many of you live here?” Jimin asked.

“Just my dad and I.” Hayi answered.

Hanbin swept his gaze across the spacious living room and saw photos of Hayi taken with her father. Is her family broken like his? 

“Are we too early?” Yunhyeong asked, noting the empty living room.

“You get to start the party first.” Hayi grinned back.

“Oh Hanbin, you’ve come.” A voice came from the back.

Hanbin turned and smiled at him. “Hello Ahjussi.”

Hayi wrapped her arm around her father’s. “This is my dad, and Dad these are my classmates.” She pointed and introduced her friends one by one.

It took her father some time to memorize all their names. “Did I get all your names correctly?” He asked.

“Yes sir.” Yunhyeong nodded.

“No, don’t call me sir.” Her father reminded with a gentle smile.  

“Yeah.” Hanbin nudged his friend.

“Appa, they bought us a housewarming gift.” Hayi pointed at the potted plant.

“Thanks for coming and the lovely gift.”  Hayi’s father smiled.

Jinhwan sniffed the air and interrupted. “Hmm, is something burning?”

Hayi scrunched her nose and frowned. “Appa… Did you leave something on?”

The man’s smile faded as he sniffed the air. “Yikes, my roast pork!” He jumped and disappeared into the kitchen.

“I think we can play-” Hayi winced as they heard a loud crash from the kitchen. “Sorry I’ve to go and take a look. Do what all you want.” She said hurriedly and darted off.

“Are you okay?” Hayi asked as her father picked up the over tray from the floor and looked over his shoulder.

“I’m alright. Did I startle you?” He asked.

Hayi shook her head. “Do you need my help?”  

“I suppose we can scrap the charred parts?” Her father uttered and took a knife from the drawer.

“Are you sure?” Hayi eyed him sceptically.

He chuckled. “Nah, go join your friends outside.”   

“They’re old enough to entertain themselves.” Hayi replied.

“The two of you, please leave my kitchen.”

They turned and saw their elderly housekeeper standing at the kitchen doorway with a stern look.

“This is my house, ahjumma.” Her father reminded cheekily and Hayi chortled.

Halmoni scoffed. “Sukhoon, you can’t serve that to your guests.”

“Of course not, I was kidding.” Her father laughed.  

Halmoni took the charred meat from him and threw it into the dustbin.

Her father made a face. “Oh, the burnt part is the best.”

“That causes cancer, son. Trust you to be a doctor.” Halmoni said harshly as she donned her apron. 

“I was joking.” Her father raised his hands in defence.  

Halmoni took something out of the refrigerator. “I’ll whip up something before the guests come.”

“Sure, let me help you.” Her father offered.

“Get the rice for me.” She replied.

Hayi watched them get busy. “Are you sure you don’t need my help?”

Her father put a finger to his lip and shook his head. “Play a good host and bring some drinks for your friends.” 

“Right.” Hayi said under her breath. She walked to the refrigerator and took out a jug of lemonade.

“Good girl.” Her father remarked.   

Hayi rolled her eyes as she filled the mugs with the drink. “What time are your colleagues coming?”

“Apparently the hospital is quite busy today, so they may come late.” He replied.

“That’s bad.” Hayi said and returned to the living room with beverages. “Come and get your drinks, guys!”

“Help yourselves to the food and drinks, kids! Go outside and enjoy the sun.” Hayi’s father poked his head out of the kitchen.

Hayi noticed the remaining cup on the table. “Where is Hanbin?”

“He went out to call Bobby. Hayi, can we tour around your house?” Yunhyeong asked from the sofa.

“Yes sure.” Hayi placed the drink on the table and walked to the door when it suddenly opened and knocked her head.

Hanbin looked at her blankly. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah I’m fine…” Hayi rubbed her forehead ruefully and glanced at him. “What did Bobby say?”

“Yeah. He told me to tell you sorry about today.” Hanbin replied.

“So he’s not coming?” Hayi probed.

“He didn’t say.” Hanbin revealed slowly.

Hayi frowned. “Is he still angry with me?”

“Angry with you? Why would he be?” Hanbin raised an eyebrow. 

“I don’t know. Maybe I should give him a call later.” Hayi rambled.

“Nah, he’s alright. He’s busy doing something now.” Hanbin paused and pointed towards the door. “I think you have a guest outside.”

“Really?” Hayi raised an eyebrow and walk down the footpath with Hanbin following behind. Her face stiffened as soon as she saw the person.  

Hanbin smiled at the female visitor. “Hello, are you here for the housewarming?”

“Yeah,” she smiled.

He glanced at Hayi, whose soul seemed to have momentarily left her body and nudged her arm. “Hey Hayi.”

Hayi blinked at him and looked back at the visitor. “Oh yeah, come in.”

Hanbin beck

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter