Chapter Nineteen

Nothin' On You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hanbin felt a sharp jab as he put on his track shoes after gym class. He tipped his shoe over and a small, sharp thumbtack fell onto the ground. Flabbergasted, he glanced down and saw his white sock soak in blood.

Due to his nerdy and shy character, Hanbin has always been the least popular kid in class and he has very few friends. He does not mind the fact much as he likes to be by himself and is not an attention seeker.

But whoever placed the thumbtack in his shoe, have to pay for their misdeed. What wrong has he done to be treated like this? He thought.

Even though the pain is getting onto him, Hanbin refused to cry. He knew that crying will only give the bully greater satisfaction and an excuse to harass him in the future.

“Blood!”

Hanbin perked up his head and saw a girl with big and round eyes lit with fear as she darted to his side.

He stared blankly at her face as he could not recall her name.

“Are you okay?”  

Stricken, she pulled his sock off and examined the wound on his foot. The blood did not stop and she took her handkerchief from her pocket. He watched her in fascination as she worked her way to bandage his foot. She expertly tied a knot and faced Hanbin.

“Who did this?” She knitted her eyebrows together.

Hanbin did not reply.

Frustrated, she stood up and glared at their other classmates. “Who did this to him?” She asked loudly.

Some stared back at the girl.

Few ignored what she said.

One of them even passed a snide remark. “Why do you even care, Hayi?”

So her name is Hayi? Hanbin watched her stomp towards the boy.

“Did you do this?” Hayi demanded.

He swallowed his saliva nervously. “It isn’t me!”

"I’m going to inform the teacher!” She continued. 

Who would admit the truth if you asked so openly? He scanned the faces around the room and someone caught his attention. The boy sitting at the last column fidgeted nervously and kept glancing out of the window.

Hanbin rolled his fist into a ball tightly and a growl escaped his mouth.

Apparently she also noticed the person.

Hanbin watched her approach the chubby boy and wagged her finger. “Is it you, Minhoon?”

The boy raised his hands in a panic. “Don’t talk nonsense. I didn’t do anything.”

 “No. I saw you sneak around the shoe cabinet earlier.” A girl spoke up.

Minhoon shot her a menacing look. “Shut up.” He hissed.

Hayi was shocked momentarily by his foul language. “Come with me. I’m going to report you to the teacher!” She dragged him out of his seat.

“Go away!” Minhoon snapped.

Hayi was adamant and tried to make him budge.

“I told you to stop!” Minhoon flared and lifted his hand at Hayi. 

Hanbin barely held his anger and pulled Hayi behind him. She blinked in surprise as he glanced over his shoulder with a concerned look before facing Minhoon directly.

“If you have something against me, come after me. Don’t bully a girl.” He lashed menacingly at the boy.

“Are you okay?”

Hayi nodded slowly.

Minhoon’s eyes flared. “What did you say?”

Everyone gasped as they watched Minhoon take on Hanbin by his collar and lift him from the ground. Minhoon plays Judo for the school.

“Put me down.” Hanbin ordered.

Minhoon cackled cynically. “Are you sure?”   

“No.” Hayi uttered under her breath, afraid to witness what comes next.

“Watch out!” Somebody shrieked.

After a poignant pause, Hayi heard somebody whisper and slowly opened her eyes. She was surprised to see Minhoon yelping in pain as Hanbin twisted his arm.

“Let me go!”

Everyone started looking with great interest.

“Wow! Hanbin…” 

“Ouch! Let go of me!” Minhoon cried desperately at Hanbin’s strength.

Hayi leaned forward and tapped gently on Hanbin’s shoulder. “Stop it, he’s hurting.”

Hanbin’s expression softened as he glanced at her. “You deserve it.” He growled and released his grip on the boy.

Minhoon gave one last estranged look before dashing out of the room.

++++++++++

“School detention?” Yunhyeong gawked as he sat on the table and chatted with Hayi and Hanbin.

Hayi slumped her head onto the desk and nodded glumly. “Yeah…”

“Every day of this week.” Hanbin added mockingly.

Hayi looked up and snarled at him. “It’s all your fault. If you could have just left me alone, I won’t get into trouble with the form teacher.”

Hanbin shrugged. “My bad.”

Hayi gritted her teeth with her arms folded. “That’s a sincere apology from you.” She said snidely.   

Yunhyeong laughed loudly at their bantering. “So where did you two go yesterday?”

“Ice skat-”

“Hey, I volunteered to serve detention with you.” Hanbin interrupted.

Hayi rolled her eyes.  “Serve you right. You were late for school.”

“Well, we’re going to be in detention class after school today. Yeah!”

Hayi scrunched her face. “Get lost!”

Hanbin chuckled and nudged her arm gingerly. “Oh come on, don’t get mad.”  

Hayi immediately stood up and shouted across the half empty classroom. “Hey Jinhwan, can I change seats for today?”

“Why?” Jinhwan stopped talking to one of their classmates and frowned.

Bobby looked back at her eagerly. “Hayi wants to sit with me? I can arrange!”

Hayi grimaced and made a disgusted face. “Never ming, it’s okay!”

“Aw...” Bobby sulked.

Hayi ignored him and sat back in her seat with a deep sigh.  

Hanbin laughed and ran his fingers through his hair smugly. “Guess you’re still going to stick with me.”

 “Well, whatever.” Hayi threw him a dirty look before turning to Yunhyeong. “Hey, want to go to the canteen?”

“Sure, I can get a drink.”

Hayi took her purse from her bag while Yunhyeong got up from the desk and tapped her shoulder. “You’re not going to ask Hanbin?”

“Why should I? He’s busy with his book.” She moved her eyes to Hanbin and pointed out.

Hanbin returned a smile to her and raised his book. “Right, I’m busy.”

“Should I get anything for you?” Yunhyeong asked.

Hanbin shook his head and flipped another page of his book nonchalantly.

“We’ll be right back.” Yunhyeong waved. 

Suddenly a feel of loneliness crept upon him as he watched Hayi leave the classroom with his friend from the corner of his eyes.

“Yes?” Hanbin said without looking at his friend.

Jinhwan had come over and sat in Hayi’s seat. “So when are you going to tell her?”

Hanbin put down his book and stared blankly at him. “Tell who what?”

Jinhwan observed his expression before letting out a false laugh. “Stop pretending. I know you like Hayi.”

Hanbin gasped. That statement had caught by surprise.

“You don’t like her?” Jinhwan asked softly.

Hanbin pursed his lips in silence.

“So you don’t deny that you don’t like her.” Jinhwan grinned, giving a knowing look.

He frowned. “I’m not going to answer your question.”

“Yeah… It’s obvious that you like Hayi.” Jinhwan chortled.

Hanbin raised his hands in defence and turned around at him. “Wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter