nine

Affair

We were busy dancing when she suddenly pulled me closer. I was surprised.. no, I was shocked! She was hugging me in front of all these people! I was stunned and I couldn’t even move. It was like something magical was happening and I was too scared that if I move, all these will come to an end.

 

All of a sudden, me heartbeat was racing inside my chest. There were even goddamned butterflies inside my stomach! Damn these stupid butterflies and since when did I become so poetic?!

 

I could feel her heart beating against mine. For the first time in my life, I was speechless. My eyes were still wide open while i’m hugging her. I was savouring every moment because I knew this might be the last. She was Kang Seulgi after all. No one knows what she’s about to do next.

 

“She’s gone,” she whispered low and then released me from the hug.

 

I still can’t move. She hugged me!

 

“Are you okay?” she asked me when she noticed I didn’t move. I tried to make a move but all I managed to do was a nod.

 

“Let’s sit,” she said and then guided me back to our place.

 

When we arrived, Wendy winked at me. She was looking at the both of us when we were dancing in the middle. This !

 

“Irene, are you okay?” Seulgi asked me again. “You’re shaking.”

 

Oh, goddamnit! I am really looking like a high school girl who’s shaking whenever she look at her crush.

 

She stood up and said,

 

“I’ll get you something to drink,” she said. Just after she left, Wendy went near me.

 

Seriously, can I have a day without a Wendy by my side? Ever since she blocked me in the hallway, she looked like a koala and she loves to cling to me. God, she was everywhere!

 

“I saw what you did there,” she said.

 

“I did nothing, Wendy. Stay away from me.” My heart is still beating so fast and I can’t handle her teasing for now.

 

But she did the otherwise, of course. I’m not surprised. She was stubborn. Really, really stubborn.

 

“You really like Seulgi, huh. You’re blushing like crazy, Irene. That is so cute.” And then she wiggled her eyebrow.

 

Why is she acting cute when she knows that she’s cute?! She’s so evil!

 

I gritted my teeth. “Just shut up, Wendy. Talk to your date or whatever. Give me my peace of mind.”

 

I looked over to her date. What was her name again? Chungha? Whatever. Wendy winked at her and she blushed. Oh God am I also like that when it comes to Seulgi? Oh God take me.

 

“I’ll play with her all night long so I’ll bother you now,” she said.

 

“Yuck! Why are you telling me those?!”

 

She chuckled and said, “Because you reaction are priceless. I like it. It’s cute.”

 

I glared at her and she just laughed at me. Annoying !

 

I hit her with my purse and so she stopped teasing me. She was talking to her date and now her attention is all on that girl. That’s great then.

 

Overall, the ball was pretty fine. I knew some people even though their faces were hidden behind their masks. Funny how people just can’t hide who they really are.

 

“Why do you always have to look utterly bored?” asked by Wendy again. It hasn’t been five minutes when Wendy destroyed my peace of mind again!

 

And Seulgi? She was asked by his father to accompany her to meet with some business partners.

 

I adjusted to my seat. I already removed my mask because I was eating. I glanced at Seulgi who was shaking the hand of an old woman.

 

Wendy shook her head. “You’re like a puppy in love with my sister. That’s bad, Irene.”

 

I raised a brow.

 

“You know, love isn’t all rainbows and unicorn. For us, love is all about and hypocrisy.”

 

I stayed mum. I can’t understand them both. They are both deep. Even Wendy, she is always carefree but if you would just take time to listen to her, she’s more than what she looks like. There’s more to the surface than what was shown.

 

“I’d rather be Seulgi’s puppy than to be yours.” She chuckled after hearing what I just said.

 

I walked out and looked for a place to stay. There were too many people in the lobby. I decided to go to the back of the hotel and I saw a manmade lagoon. It was breath-taking. Just exactly what I needed.

 

I removed my shoes and held it instead. The grass against my feet felt so good.

 

I was out in the open, feeling the calmness of the night and the wind was busy brushing against my skin when I saw a silhouette standing just a few meters from me. I couldn’t deny who it was. That red gown, that blonde hair, and that perfect face.

 

“Joy,” I whispered to myself as I was approaching closer.

 

She was smoking when I saw her and she was crying. Her face was a picture of a broken woman.

 

“A-are you okay?” I asked her hesitantly and she turned to face me. She was crying real hard!

 

I fished for my tissue paper in my purse and gave it to her immediately. She accepted it and said thanks. Goodness, Irene. You must hate her, not befriend her!

 

“You’re okay now?” I asked her. She tried to stifle a smile but she obviously wasn’t okay.

 

She was just standing while her tears were continuously pouring down. She’s so broken

 

“Care to talk?”

 

Okay tonight was the night when I officially lost my mind.

 

“You’re a friend of Seulgi, right?” she asked out of the blue. I don’t know what to answer. Are we friends? Do friends kiss each other… almost? For me, we’re not friends. I didn’t like to be friends.

 

So I opted to remain silent. It was the best damn thing I could offer to her.

 

“How’s she been while I was away?” she asked. I couldn’t answer. It’s only been a month since I knew her but during those times, she’s always sad. I don’t like to admit it but I knew she still loves Joy. Five year was almost a lifetime. It can’t be erased by a simple goodbye.

 

“She’s… fine.”

 

So I chose to lie.

 

She smiled a bitter smile. She still loves Seulgi. Why did I suddenly feel bad?

 

“She’s fine without me…. great,” she said as she wiped another batch of tears.

 

I want to stand up and leave. I don’t like this kind of situation. I don’t want to be in the middle of the both of them.

 

“Hey,” she said. “What’s your name again?”

 

I smiled, even I don’t want to.

 

“Irene. Bae Irene.”

 

She offered her hands. “Park Sooyoung. Joy is fine.”

 

I stood up and said my goodbye. She was nice and everything but I can’t be her friend. I don’t want to complicate things.

 

When I came back, I saw Seulgi approach me. Her face was a bit worried.

 

“Where did you go?” she asked.

 

“O-outside.” I was stuttering like a little girl.

 

She nodded and held me by the arm. She’s so gentle. If this was Wendy, she would put her arms on my waist.

 

When we sat down, she stared at me. “Are you sure you’re fine?”

 

I nodded. I don’t want to tell her that I just had a conversation with her ex. That’s insanity version 2.0

 

She stared at me with scrutinizing eyes. “Irene, I don’t like it when someone’s lying to me.”

 

I suddenly became nervous and so I said, “Okay fine, I don’t feel well.” She rolled her eyes at me. Typical of her!

 

Seulgi left me for a while because she’ll bid a goodbye to her father. And look, the Wendy Son is here again! Ugh!

 

“You’re going home? Already?”

 

“Mind your own business.”

 

“But you’re my business.”

 

“Shut up, .”

 

She raised her brow. “Call me ert once again, Irene. I’ll show you how erted I can get.”

 

My face fell into frown and her smirk grew wider. “I’ll make you scream so loud that we’ll wake your neighbours up.”

 

I suddenly blushed after hearing what she just said. Damn this !

 

“Shut up!”

 

She chuckled. “Such a .”

 

“Stay away from me!” I screamed at her and I saw Seulgi is coming near us.

 

“What’s wrong?” asked Seulgi.

 

“Nothing, nothing.” I just said. I stood up and watch them talk. It’s just so powerful seeing them both.

 

We were waiting in the entrance for the valet when Seulgi spoke,

 

“Irene?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Do you like my sister?”

 

“What?! No!” I said.

 

She was facing me and nodded.

 

“Okay.”