eight

Affair

 

 

It took me seconds to process what she said. Pregnancy scare? With Seulgi’s best friend nonetheless?!

 

“What the ?” I asked her with my mouth still hanging wide open. I don’t believe this! Can’t Seulgi’s life be anymore cinematic? Oh my god! What the hell was wrong with her that people who are close to her kept on messing things up for her?

 

“Yeah. She has some serious trust issue.” She said.

 

I pity for Seulgi. She’s too broken. I now understand why she’s being cold it’s because she’s hurt a lot. I though she will be forever like that. I was not aware about her backstory which was very tragic, by the way. How often in your life can you encounter someone like her?

 

And now, I can’t get Joy’s point. Why did she comeback? And if she wanted, really, to get back with Seulgi, why now? She had all those years. Three ing years. She was gone for three long years and now she wanted to bounce back to the scene like nothing happened?

 

What a .

 

“I still don’t know, Wendy.” I said.

 

She suddenly came near to her iphone, I can only see her lips and neck and her not-so-obvious adam’s apple. She was speaking so slow, fudge. What the hell?! Did she already mastered the art of seducing? If I was another girl, I might rip off my shirt right now. But no I know Wendy so well.

 

Her lips were moving ily.

 

“Please, Irene?”

 

I resigned. Wendy’s importunate and I didn’t have the luxury to talk to her and turn her down the whole day.

 

“Okay okay.” I said.

 

She winked at me, filthily. Her ert mode is on again.

 

“Thanks, Irene! You’re the best!” She said and then winked another time and then ended the call.

 

What the hell did I get myself into?

 

I was about to stand from my bed when my phone vibrates. It was a text from Wendy. That woman had all the time to spare.

 

From: unregistered number

There’s a ball tonight. Masquerade. You know the drill. Pick you up around 7pm.

 

Is she not aware that I’m studying in a most luxury school and I need to study? Seriously!?

 

I was fuming, really fuming. I get out from my room and saw Rose and Krystal looking at me. They both raised their eyebrows.

 

“What’s up?” asked Krystal and then she got another piece of grapes and then swallow it whole. Tsk.

 

I sat on the bean bag and reach for the bag of chips. I’m so stressed.

 

“I might ditch your party…” I said. Suddenly Krys stopped. She was really looking forward to the party so I was pretty sure she’s disappointed.

 

“I have a valid reason Jung! Don’t shoot deadly glares, okay?” I said before she fight me.

 

I told them about Wendy’s invitation and all the other stuff excluding the one about pregnancy scare. They’re both my almost sister but that’s not my story to divulge. I respect Seulgi’s privacy.

 

They were both sad, specially Krystal cause she knows that, that was Wendy and Seulgi's party. Why am I even invited? I forgot to asked!

 

“Wait, why is there a party?” I asked them.

 

Rose went back to whatever she was doing and I think Krystal will the one who’ll answer it.

 

“It’s some sort of welcome back party for their older sister. It was a mess back then for Kang’s because Tiffany Kang ran away. I have no idea about that. As far as I know, it’s a welcome party.”

 

So.. it’s a family affair? What the.. why am I even invited?! Wendy’s so desperate!

 

After a while, they both left me. Since I’m not going to their whatsoever spa, I’ll find my dress in here. I don’t even have any idea what will I wear.

 

I rummaged my stuff and yet I don’t find anything. I hate Wendy for this!

 

I was about to give up when I saw that ball gown..

 

“Oh, what the hell.” I said before getting it. Why would I feel sad? He’s in the past and I was in the present.

 

I stared at it one more time. It was still in the same shade of midnight blue princess cut. It was still elegant.. but it bring some bad memories.

 

I wore it and I smiled to myself. Yes, Irene. You’re pretty. I hope your ex will regret what he have done to you.

 

I was busy in front of the vanity mirror when someone rang the bell. I looked at myself one last time and then get my mask.

 

I slowly walk in to the door. I calmed myself down. The time really flies fast. It was like yesterday we were talking about Seulgi leaving Krystal.. but look at me now. I’m going to their family party. I felt like a really hypocrite. A really, really low hyprocite.

 

“Wow.”

 

That was the first word that Wendy said when looking at me. She was busy checking me out but damn it, I can’t control but to check her out too.

 

She was a walking icon!

 

Oh, my goodness! If her girls were here I swear they’ll bend their knees. She looks so y in that suit! Yes, she’s wearing one and it really suits her! Oh my god she looks so y than my ex back then.

 

“Satisfied?” I said to her while hiding my admiration to her face. She’s gorgeous and she knows it. She doesn’t need reinforcement from me.

 

She grinned. Damn. So y.

 

“You polished good.” She said and then winked. “Seulgi will love it.”

 

I blushed at the thought. Will Seulgi ever notice me? What if she really does what she said that she’ll not ever talk to me? I wasn’t expecting much from her but I hope she’ll talk to me tonight.

 

Love is never about the what ifs. It’s about placing your bet and actually fighting for it even if you know you’re on the losing side.

 

“You know what, Irene, if you’re gonna showcase that midriff of yours, I can stay here and on you all night long.” She said while looking at my cleavage. My goodness!

 

“ert!” I said. Her eyebrow arched.

 

“Was it my fault that your s are saying hello on my face? I think no.” She said to me.

 

I think I’m gonna explode in here from embarrassment.

 

I covered my s with my arm.

 

“One more comment, I will not go with you!” I warned her. She chuckled then look at me.

 

“Oh, Irene. You’re such a tease but when I tease you, you don’t like it.”

 

“Shut up. Let’s go.” I said and we walked to the lift. She was holding me by the arm.

 

“So, is Joy coming too?” I asked the important question.

 

She leaned in and crossed her arms.

 

She nodded at me. ”She’s friends with Tiffany. Can’t do anything about that.”

 

She’s actually friends with their sister and she’s invited? What kind of sister is Tiffany? She even doesn’t think that Seulgi don’t want to see Joy! What kind of family is this?

 

We reached the ground floor and a fancy limo was awaiting us.

 

“Before you.” Wendy said and then opened the door for me. I went inside. We are already going and my hands were getting colder as minutes passed by. Damn it. This is the first time I got nervous when going into a party.

 

I didn’t even realize, we were in front of the hotel now. Okay, Irene. Calm down. That’s just a party. Nothing you’ve never experienced before.

 

Wendy’s holding me by her arm. People everywhere. There were even medias that were taking photo of us when we got in here. We posed for them. I was slightly nervous because my parents might know about this. But then, I remember we were wearing mask so it’s okay. They didn’t know that I’m close to the Kang’s and this Son beside me. And I didn’t think they would mind. As long as my friend’s rich, they’re good.

 

The party was already starting when we got in. Actually, they’re serving some foods.

 

Wendy kissed me on the cheek and then she left me suddenly. Damn that woman! But she actually didn’t leave me. When she came back she’s with Seulgi.

 

Even though there’s a mask on it, I know that is Seulgi. The way she stands, I know that was her. That thin and alluring lips, that y eyes, just everything about her shouted danger. Let’s say Wendy’s a playgirl but I know that Seulgi’s more dangerous. She was something.. and so much more.

 

Even though she’s not speaking, you’re falling? We barely spoke anything since we met and yet she already held a special place in my heart.

 

“Seulgi, take care of this girl. I’ll take care of your problem.” Wendy said and then she placed my hands on Seulgi’s hand. She’s too obvious!

 

I was staring at the floor. I can’t look her in the eyes. All of a sudden, I was back to being a shy high school girl in front of her crush.

 

I can feel her hands lifting up my chin. Little by little her face were slowly coming near at me. My heart’s beating so fast too.

 

Inside, I was waiting for the kiss.

 

The kiss that never happened.

 

Her lips landed on the side of my lips.

 

She was chuckling all to herself, much to my dismay.

 

“Easy there, Snow White. How sure are you that I’m your prince charming?” She said and then guided me towards our table.

 

Why was she so cryptic?!