Welcome to America

All I Want for Christmas is ... You?!

Eunhyuk’s P.O.V.

 

After endless hours, some of them filled with sleep, Hyukjae finally arrived at the Los Angeles airport.

 

Carefully moving his aching muscles, he grumbled some incomprehensibly words and got up to get his luggage after exiting the plane.

To his surprise, his old friend Cho Kyuhyun was nowhere to be seen.

 

That stupid little game-maniac. He must have forgotten about me while playing Star Craft again”, he mumbled, but Hyuk wasn’t in the mood to excite himself about the fact, that no one was there to welcome him.

He had other things to care about, so he decided to get a small snack to appease his stomach that was calling for something to eat.

 

He ended up in a silent corner of a small McDonald's restaurant, with a strawberry milk shake and a chicken burger. Not the most pleasant and healthy meal ever, but better than nothing and he loved everything with strawberries, so it wasn’t that bad after all.

Sipping at his milk shake, Eunhyuk looked around, watching people crossing by outside the window and wondering about his own, new habits.

 

Actually he never cared much about what others were doing, but since the beginning of his journey he seemed to find some serious interest in watching people, only to see the things he didn’t wanted to be reminded of.

Everywhere he looked, he saw lucky couples getting some Christmas presents, others were just talking to friends and laughing. They all seemed to be so happy, that he suddenly felt lonely.

Like one of his favorite adages from his past days said:

Have you ever felt alone in a crowded place…”

 

Why had it have to become his reality three days before Christmas?

 

And because he knew he wouldn’t get an answer to his question he focused on his drink again, slightly happy about the fact, that at least one of the good things in his life wasn’t disappearing: strawberries.

Those little, red fruits he loved, since he had been a little boy.

 

It was funny how old things were still the best at some point.

 

After finishing his meal, Hyuk got his cellphone out of his pocket and called his friend, asking if he forgot about him.

Waiting for a few minutes, at least that’s how it felt like, said person finally picked up his cellphone.

 

Yah, didn’t I tell you to let me play in peace!”, an annoyed voice sounded from the other end.

 

And didn’t I tell you to look at the caller-ID before you start shouting at your elders, because you are playing one of your stupid games again?”, Hyukjae shot back, rather unimpressed by the others behavior.

 

It was silent for a moment and he heard some noises at the other end of the line and then Kyuhyun asked in a more calm voice:

 

Is that you Eunhyuk?”

 

Snorting at how dumb his ingenious maknae could be sometimes, Hyuk he answered:

 

Who else would call you on a Tuesday morning to pick me up from the airport, only to realize the person in question, is stacked with his video games again. Especially when he was supposed to welcome me when I got out of that ing plane!”

 

Don’t tell me you were supposed to arrive today!”

 

No Sherlock, you really are a genius”, Hyukjae answered a bit annoyed that his friend forgot about him.

 

. Oh I am sorry. Just give me thirty minutes and I will come and pick you up, okay?”

 

You better hurry up Cho-ing-Kyuhyun, because I have been waiting for you for two hours!”

 

He heard the younger gulp and knew he got his point straight. If there was one thing Hyuk hated, it was waiting, no matter for who or for how long, people had to be punctual.

 

I will be there right away. And I am really sorry, Hyung.”

 

Yeah, yeah just get your moving already.”

 

With that he hung up and smiled a little bit. He knew his friend felt sorry for real, since he had addressed him with “Hyung”.

Kyuhyun never addressed anyone in a polite manner, except when he had to make it up to someone and was truly aware of his mistakes.

 

Even if he avoided acting like it, Kyu was a good guy with just too much free time and a too intelligent brain, that allowed him to be a lazy- at school and still get straight A’s.

Listening to some music, while he was waiting, he lost track of time until he heard his phone ringing again and after he picked up, a confused Kyuhyun asked:

 

Eunhyuk where are you?”

 

Taken aback by such a stupid question, Hyuk needed some time to figure out whether the younger was making a joke out of him or not.

 

Kyuhyun do you want to test my patience? Do you think it is funny to still make fun of me after you made me wait?”, he asked getting angry.

 

N-no Hyuk, but I looked around the whole airport for you, I even let them call out your name at the tourist information. So where are you? There is only this airport in Oakland and…”

 

Hyukjae finally reached the point where he was only confused.

 

Wait did you just say Oakland?”

 

Yes that’s what I said. Are you even listening to me?”

 

Tell me that’s a bad joke maknae, I'm really starting to get angry.”

 

Eunhyuk I am not joking around. I swear you can destroy all of my video games, if I am lying to you or joking around, but seriously… where are you?”

 

Accepting the fact, that Kyu seemed to be honest he answered:

 

I am at the airport of Los Angeles, so would you please be so kind telling me what’s up with Oakland?”

 

It was silent again, until he heard the maknae shout at him.

 

Yah you stupid monkey what are you doing in Los Angeles?!”

 

Watch your mouth you little brat! I didn’t do anything wrong and you are living in Los Angeles after all, so tell me what you are doing in Oakland.”

 

Now it was Kyuhyun that sighed.

 

Hyuk we moved to San Leandro like two months ago. I even send you an e-mail telling you about it. Did you really forget about it?”

 

And finally it hit him like a rock. The Cho’s had moved to San Leandro a few months ago, because Kyu was offered to be an honor-student at one of the colleges in Oakland.

 

, , .

 

This was all a freaking nightmare and he just had to wake up to realize everything was alright.

 

Hyuk are you still there?”

 

Erm.. yes… sorry about that. I will just take a taxi and get to Oakland. Don’t worry.”

 

Hyung, you sure you are okay?”, the younger asked with concern in his voice.

 

Yes don’t worry I am perfectly fine. See you later Kyu. Sorry I yelled at you earlier.”

 

Hyukjae hung up before his friend could reply to anything he said. He wanted to be alone right now.

 

How was it possible he forgot about such an important matter of fact?

Had the break-up with his ex-girlfriend affected him that much?

Or maybe he had some mental issues?

Letting out a sigh of frustration, he grabbed his luggage and went outside to get a taxi to San Leandro.

 

The day he had bought the tickets had been the day of his break up. His decision came sudden for everyone, but he just wanted to get out and leave everything behind.

And now there he was with the consequences of his blind acting. Instead of being in San Leandro he stood in front of the airport of Los Angeles.

So annoying.

He really needed to focus again.

 

After a cab stopped in front of him and he got his things into the trunk he told the driver his destination, who was quite surprised.

 

Please don’t get me wrong but you want me to take you to Oakland, San Leandro?”, the old but somehow friendly man asked.

 

That’s right, Sir. Is there anything wrong with it?”

 

Not at all young man, as long as you have a lot of money left to spend.”

 

Getting a slight headache Hyukjae said:

Don’t worry about that. Just please take me there.”

 

Just as you please. I hope you are up for a long ride.”

 

Not caring anymore, how much longer he had to stay somewhere, Hyuk looked outside the window, watching the snowflakes falling down to the ground.

At some point he must have dozed off, because when he regained his consciousness back, he heard that a snow storm was coming up over San Leandro in a few hours.

Just great, even the weather has to be ty today”, he mumbled and closed his eyes again to get some more sleep.

 

 

Flashback

 

Hyuk sighed heavily.

Finally after a long day he could go home and relax a little. Working part- time for his dad and studying at once could get pretty exhausting sometimes.

 

The traffic in the rush-hours was annoying as always, because you seemed to move in slow motion or to not move at all...

All the traffic lights were red and stressed people filled the streets in their cars or the side walks. And if this wouldn't have been enough, the blondes car needed some reparations and so he had to use the overcrowded subway to get home.

 

He could feel his painfully tensed muscles under the warm coat he was wearing to get some protection from the freezing cold outside. His scarf hiding half of his face, because he forgot his bonnet this morning.

 

Luckily it didn't took long to get home and after an hour he heard the key clicking in the door-lock and a smile spread over his face.

His long-loved girlfriend, Jieun, wanted to visit him today and he always felt better when he saw her.

Changing his shoes, Eunhyuk went up the stairs to his room to get some comfy clothes to wear.

After he went down to the kitchen to get some coffee, but stopped when he heard some weird noises.

 

It weren't noises but more of muffled voices actually. Seeing that the door was open he moved forward to see who it was but stepped back immediately.

 

What he just saw was more than a nightmare for a man in love and he felt his heart aching like it never did before. Even some teardrops were running down on his cheeks, while he tried to progress what was actually happening in front of his eyes.

 

In fact he couldn't see much... only the back of a guy and a wrist with a silver bracelet he had given his girlfriend as a present for their first anniversary.

And now they both were on the kitchen table and soundly enjoying themselves.

 

He ran back to his room, no longer caring if he made any sound and grabbed his coat while he called one of his friends to go on a drink with him. What he needed now was loud music and a crowded dance floor where he could loose his head and just feel the rhythm.

Dancing was his passion and exactly what he was up to now and so he didn't care about the calls of his soon-to-be ex-girlfriend and just followed his desire to forget. Even if it was just for a short period of time.

 

After 5 hours of dancing straight and some drinks later, Eunhyuk went back home hoping the other two would be gone.

Unfortunately the person he didn't want to see at all was already waiting for him in the door.

Why did his parents have to be out today?

 

What do you want here?”, he asked annoyed.

 

The girl only crossed her arms in front of her chest and said with an emotionless voice:

We need to talk.”

 

Being frustrated to no end, the blonde rubbed his eyes with two fingers to get rid of some anger and to compose himself.

After being humiliated like this he didn't want to give her the satisfaction of seeing how hurt he was. So he kept a poker face, hoping he would manage to hold it as long as needed.

 

Huh Jieun can't you see that I am not in the mood to talk to you right now? Go home.”

 

Give me 10 minutes and I will be gone.”

 

Thinking about it, Hyuk gave in. Better to get over with it now than later, when the wound was healing.

 

Fine”, he said avoiding the kitchen and taking a seat in one of the armchairs in the living room instead.

When Jieun came in he added:

 

You better make it short”, mentioning her to sit opposite to him so he could watch her every move an continued to speak after she did what he just told her to do.

 

I guess I don't have to explain to you that I don't want to see you anymore and that our relationship is over. I won't ask anything of you, if you do the same. We should be old enough to solve this matter like adults after all and not fighting like little children.”

 

When the dancer saw how the muscles of Jieun jaw tensed up, he somehow felt satisfied with his act and not giving her the image of being broken, but he had to hurry.

He could feel how his resolve was slipping and that it didn't take long for him to ask her for a second chance even though he wasn't at fault at all.

Eunhyuk had his pride as a man but he also was a man in love and the girl in front of him had been his first and only love for years now. So it was only natural he couldn't let go easily.

But he had to and with that he carried on.

 

I just want to know one thing. Tell me why?”

 

Suddenly a smug smile appeared on her face, showing off her true personality he hadn't seen because he had been blind or because she was a master in acting.

 

Haha do you really think I loved you? I loved your money Eunhyuk. I mean look at you, you aren't a beauty and you are just too boring. All settled and tamed at the age of 23. I really feel something like pity for you. But now I have Junsu. He is handsome, rich and well the whole opposite of you. Is that all then?”

 

With the last part of his remaining strength he said:

Yes that all. Good-bye Jieun.”

 

Bye Eunhyuk, it was nice as long as it lasted.”

 

And with that she was gone, leaving him and his broken heart behind.

 

Junsu...

 

It wasn't enough that she had cheated on him, but it of course had to be his best friend on top of that.

After the second shock this evening, the blonde went up to his room to book the next flight to America as soon as possible.

 

He had to get out of here.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone!

So this is the next Chapter... as always I hope you will like it and thank you for your support!

I hope you are all doing well and that you had a good weekend^^

See you around next time and feel free to tell me what you think about the update ;)

 

Regards Slade