As Flowers Bloom

Smile For Me

I hurriedly ran out of the university dormitory towards the convienient store to retrieve some vitamins and juice for my ailing friend. As the small flower buds swept against my ankles with each step, I took a deep breath. It was only a few weeks until the big language conference and competition. The stress was building with each waking moment, but I knew we would do well. We all want first place, but second or third would do. Just as long as we work hard and have fun, well, that's all that matters to me. "I hope that Yixing gets--"

"Gets what?" Jongdae's arm draped around my small shoulders and he grazed his cheek against mine. "My Joonie! How are you today? Hmm? Are we going to go on our date now?"

"No... Sorry, I totally forgot about our date," my eyes dropped as I refuse to look at his childish smile. The unavoidable guilt drowned me because I knew how hard it was for Jongdae to ask me on a date and now I do this... ah, I'm such a bad pers--

"It's okay, Joonmyun-ah. We will go on our date later. Is there something wrong with Yixing?" Jongdae poked my cheek repeatedly, then he kissed my cheek. I felt red stain my cheekbones and, eventually, my entire face. He always knew how to catch me offguard completely. Why did he have to do that to me? What did I do to him?

"Oh, um... well, Yixing, he overworked himself and he got sick," I croaked awkwardly.

"Well, it sounds like he needs to sleep, so while he sleeps... we can go on our date!" Jongdae squished my cheeks, then removed his hands as he placed a quick kiss on my lips. 

"J-Jongdae!"

"Come on, let's go," he smiled adorably and grabbed my hand.

 

My head was throbbing as I looked around the dormitory walls for a cure. I wanted to throw my head off and finally get some rest. My body ached from the illness taking over my body and I was ready to fall apart completely. Where was Joonmyun with my orange juice and vitamins? Where was my health going? I need to study. I need to sleep. Where is Joonmyun? Is he okay? I should go find him. I slowly sat up and put on my jacket and shoes. I dragged my limp body outside and began to wander in search for my flower.

I heard his laughter.

My head turned and there my heart sank. My eyes dropped upon the sight of... something that was my worst nightmare. Jongdae's arm was wrapped tightly around Joonmyun. My heart stopped beating completely and I knew that was it.

Joonmyun liked someone.

And it wasn't me.

My flower wasn't mine.

It was Jongdae's.