First Spring

Smile For Me

"Est-ce que vous pouvez m'aider?"

"Est-ce que vous pouvez m'aider?"

"Est-ce que vous pouvez m'aider?"

"Okay... essker... voo... poo-vay may-day?" I sounded out as I wrote it down. "Can you help me?" That will definitely come in handy when I go to France.

The club president began passing out papers to the members, "Okay, FLC! We are going to our first conference and competition ever next month. I want you all to be in tip top shape." He is always so... on top of it all and his smile was really nice and mesmerizing. "Please meet up with your partner or group and prepare for the rest of the meeting. I will be here if you need help."

"Okay, Mr. President," we all chimed in near-perfect harmony. The room began to shuffle around as the club members moved to their desginated spots.

"Team Mandarin! Over here!" Jongdae called out to where he and I were sitting. This kid was adorable, yet so hyper active. The President came to sit with our group as he was kind of a member. Jongdae pulled out his handy flashcards and the two began throwing random Mandarin back and forth. I sat there quietly, listening to see if I need to correct them on anything. "Wǒ yào bǐ!" Jongdae smiled widely.

"Wǒ yào wèishēng miántiáo," the president replied. I froze. Did he just say... I--I don't honestly know how to respond to such a statement. 

"Ah, Mr. President," I chimed in quietly.

"Yes, Yixing?" he smiled his heart-stopping smile.

"Are you sure you need wèishēng miántiáo? Do you know what that is?" I awkwardly croaked.

"Yeah, I need stomach medicine," he spoke as if I was the dumb one.

"Oh, that's wèicháng yào. You said wèishēng miántiáo," I corrected.

"Darn! Well what's wèishēng miántiáo?" he questioned adorably.

"Tampons." The two Chinese learners froze as the word echoed in all small area. The President's face turned a dark red as he slowly placed his head on the table. The embarrassment had created this cloud of shame over him. I didn't know how to comfort him, especially after such a horrible mix up. I smiled softly and rubbed his back. "It-it's okay. It happens to everyone." He peeked up from his dark, ashamed aura as if to question my terrible comforting methods. I kicked Jongdae's shin and Jongdae jumped.

"Yeah! It happened to me! I-It's okay," Jongdae tried to play it cool.

"I-I guess if it's a common mistake... I shouldn't be upset," he sniffled a bit as if he was going to cry from the incident.

I rubbed his back gently and smiled down at him, "Chinese is difficult, so do not worry about it too much. If you need any help, you always have my phone number. I can always help!"

"Thank you, Yixing," he smiled. I couldn't help myself anymore, so I grabbed his face and kissed him with all my might.

 

I launched up and Joonmyun's gentle hand landed on my head. "Yixing, you need to rest. You still have a fever," he tried to force me down into my bed. I guess it was a dream... a really nice dream. I rested back in my bed and looked up at Joonmyun.

"This is why you shouldn't stay up studying a lot. You need to have between 6-8 hours of sleep a night and you should also make sure you eat healthy and have your vitamins, also you need to--"

"Joonmyun, I can't rest if you nag," I removed his hand from my forehead and held it gently. "H-How about you... get me some orange juice and some vitamins?" Joonmyun nodded. I sank into my pillow as I watch his small stature get up from the stool he had next to my dormitory bed. After knowing this wonderful man for six years, I still haven't mustered up the courage to express my feelings. Each day, my feelings grow stronger... especially when he smiles at me. I hope that this will be the first spring we can spend... together.