Trees Need T

Smile For Me

My legs felt weak. I knew they were going to fall under me at any given moment. I could feel my entire body shutting down. My entire vision began to blur and my head began to pound. I landed onto something warm and everything became dark.


He was all mine. I won't have to fight with Yixing over him anymore. Joonmyun smiled at me with his beautiful genuine smile, then he froze up immediately, "Oh my god! Yixing! How could I forget?!" I felt something boiling in my stomach when I heard his name on Joonmyun's lips. Joonmyun panicked a little and I tightened my grip on his hand.

"He's fine," I mumbled angrily.

"B-But I left him... and... and he was sick... and he might get worse."

"Joonmyun, I said he's fine. If you really want to make sure he's okay, then call him. If he doesn't answer, he's asleep. If he does, then he will tell you if he needs something," I tried to control my temper. That damned Yixing... I swear if he answers, I'll lose it. Joonmyun's delicate hand trickled into his denim jean front pocket and he pulled out his smartphone. He dialed Yixing's number and placed the speaker to his ear. With each ring, my heart pounded harder and faster.

"Nǐ hǎo, wǒ xiànzài bùzài, rúguǒ yǒushì qǐng zài “dū” shēng hòu liúyán," Yixing's annoying cute voice made me sigh with relief.

Joonmyun shrugged as he slipped his phone back into his pocket, "I guess you were right, Jongdae. Well, what do you want to do right now?"

"We can go back to my place, if you don't mind," I smiled.


I felt a hand on my forehead and a small wet pat of a towel on my cheeks. "Aish, still hot." My eyes opened slowly. "Oh, you're awake. Are you okay? You didn't look to yell when I was walking by, then you fainted. You need to be careful out there. It can be really dangerous."

"I'm o-okay," I croaked.

"You have a high fever of 42 °C and you've been having sweats, but your body has also been shivering. Oh, I poured you some tea. You can drink some if you want right now. Do you need anything? To use the bathroom? Something to eat? Want to sleep some more?" The questions reminded me of Joonmyun, but they seemed more... genuine. 

"I'll drink... s-s-some t-tea," I reached for the warm tea and drank it carefully. The warm liquid massaged my throat and relieved the pain in my throat. I felt better already. "Wh-what food do you have?"

"Oh, I can make some soup or anything you want to eat, actually."

"Soup would be nice," I smiled with all my might. "Thank you for your help."

"It's my pleasure, Yixing. I'll prepare for that soup for you right now."

As I was left alone in the room, my phone began to vibrate. My eyes rested on the haunting and heart-breaking name, Myunnie. My finger heistated as my heart and mind argued over answering the call and ignoring it. The battle went on until the call went to voicemail. I turned my sorrowful eyes to rest on the window next to the couch I was resting on. The overgrown leaves rustled in the wind and my mind began to wander carelessly. The soup arrived at my side and I smiled at my new caretaker and the welcoming of the cold curing aroma. My mind was still wandering as I looked back out at the window, "Those trees need t."

"Yeah, but I kind of like it. The trees are protecting me and keeping me company." Protecting me. Keeping me company. Those words resignated in my lost mind and my broken heart because that's all we really want. Someone to protect us and to keep us company. Who was my someone? Where was my someone?