Sweet Fruit in the Heat of the Season

Smile For Me

WARNING! There is a lot of swearing in this chapter. Read at your own risk!


“I give it to you,” I sang to myself while cutting some fruit. The skype video call sound rang loudly through my dorm. “Who is it?” I yelled as I spun over to my iPad and accepted the call. “What’s up, idiot?”

“That’s no way to talk to your best friend,” Chanyeol laughed at me.

I brought the iPad into the kitchen and continued cutting fruit. “How should I talk to you then? OH, CHANYEOL SENPAI, HOW I LOVE YOU SO! OH! SENPAI, NOTICE ME! PLEASE! MY HAVE FALLEN FOR YOU!” 

“Okay, ew,” he cringed at my horrible aegyo. “I swear if you ever do that again, I will take your and shove them down your throat. You damn ert.”

“Oh, tell me more, Daddy,” I egged him on.

“Yah! You’re so gross! Why am I even friends with you?” he fell out of the camera’s sight.

“Because I’m y,” I confidently grinned.

“You’re a little , that’s what you are,” he sat up again.

“Why, thank you, giant dump.”

“So, how are you and Joonmyun?” he grinned at me like a child.

“We are okay. We hit a small bump in the road. Joonmyun got a little overwhelmed from school and everything, so he asked for some space,” I shrugged.

“You’re taking that really well. Last time a girl asked for space from me, we ended up breaking up after three weeks. I guess each relationship is different,” he nodded.

“I trust Joonmyun and I know our relationship is strong. We can get through this,” I smiled.

“That’s good. Bro, you get in a fight?” his face got close to the screen as if he was trying to get a better look at my face.

“I did,” I mumbled in shame.

“What?! With who? Did you kick their ?”

“It’s complicated...”

“Bro, my best friend isn’t a little . It’s either you kicked their or you got your beat. Tell me so I can make fun of you--”

“I fought with Yixing!” I blurted out.

He froze. I tapped the screen to make sure my iPad didn’t freeze. “Was it about Joonmyun?”

“Yeah... I started it,” I sighed.

“Bro, why?” he shook his head at me.

“I don’t know. I just felt this reason to gloat that I was able to win Joonmyun’s heart, but it backfired... really bad.”

“I see. Your side took over your rational side. As long as you understand what you did was wrong, I guess.”

I shrugged at his response. “So... um... I have a question. If you knew someone that was sick or in pain, how do you ask them about it?” I looked down at my fruit salad that looked a little too colorful. It reminded me of when Joonmyun and I made m&m cookies for a club event. He was so happy and he had such a beautiful smile. His voice tickled my heart and I made me grin like an idiot.

“Is Joonmyun sick?” Chanyeol tilted his head slightly in confusion at my question.

“I mean he’s not sick sick, but I don’t know. Sometimes he just seems off. I want to know, but I don’t know how to ask him.”

“What does he do?” Chanyeol bit his cheek as he thought.

“He scratches himself a lot and he mumbles at times. He looks lost and hurt when he’s not interacting with people. He has these marks on his body from scratching, I guess. How do you talk to someone about that? Oh, hey, I noticed you mumble and scratch yourself like a crackhead going through withdrawal, what’s up?” I frowned as I tried to think of anything to say to my beloved.

Chanyeol thought for a little, “You could just bring it up, but not be a about it. I know that’ll be hard for you because you’re the biggest douchebag I know.”

“Shut the up.”

“Make me, . Anyways, next time he starts scratching... say, ‘Hey, do you have rash or something? Do you need some medicine? Are you okay?’ But approach him nicely. You know kind of like whispering in a library,” he suggested.

“That’s a good idea,” I nodded and began to eat my fruit.

“How long have you two little s been together?”

“About two months, why?”

“. You’ve been more committed to Joonmyun than that ing game I bought you, you useless ,” he angrily frowned.

“Hey! Hey! Hey!”

“Don’t hey me, bro. You wanted that game and I bought us two copies, so we could play together, but then you finally get some in your life and I mean nothing to you. I thought I was your y special daddy.”

“Chanyeol... you’re so... ing--”

“Irresistible. I know you want me, Jongdae,” Chanyeol snorted.

“Yeah, totally.”