Tangled Roots

Smile For Me

“Ah, hello, Joonmyun. I hope our meeting is not an inconvenience to you.” I stood up and graciously shook Joonmyun’s hand, before motioning for him to take a seat. 

“It’s okay, so, what seems to be the issue?”

“Yixing. You. Jongdae. What’s happening?” I sternly began.

“Honestly, I don’t know. Jongdae won’t tell me anything.”

“Well... Yixing told me everything.” Joonmyun’s face drained of its color and he froze solid. He tried to speak and I could see the eagerness in his eyes to know the truth. “It’s not your fault. It’s between Jongdae and Yixing. They have a really stupid rivalry going on. They both love you.”

“B-but I...” 

“After much thought, it seems your only solution is to distance yourself from both of them until they get the hell over it.”

“But I can’t.”

“Why not?”

“I love Jongdae,” Joonmyun’s eyes met mine. I could see the true emotion behind his words and I didn’t know how to convince him otherwise, but I had to try.

“Joonmyun,” I let out a sigh. “I know that I’m a total stranger and it’s really improper of me to suggest this to you, but you really need to listen to me before someone gets seriously hurt. Who says that this is going to be the last fight? I know you want Yixing to be happy. I know you want to be happy with Jongdae. I know you want everyone to be happy, so please just take my words into consideration. I’m only looking out for you.”

“What did Yixing tell you?” his eyes were down. I could tell he was actually thinking it over.

“He told me about your friendship, his friendship with Jongdae, what happened when he was sick, and how the fight started.” He looked up at me again; this time his eyes were searching for an answer. “I know you don’t want to hear this, but Jongdae... isn’t the man you think he is. Sure, he loves you and all. He really cares for you, but he had to hurt someone in the process. He had to hurt your dear friend, Yixing, just to get to you. I know you might not believe me, but I can tell when Yixing is lying or exaggerating and he wasn’t when he told me all of this.” Joonmyun looked back down and his shoulders dropped. His eyes followed the wood pattern on the table as his lips moved with a some inaudible words.

He looked back up to me after a few seconds with tears in his eyes, “I don’t want to lose Yixing. I don’t want to lose Jongdae. I don’t want to lose myself. What the hell am I supposed to do?” He began to scratch a part of his arm that had blisters and peeling skin. I placed my hand on his and had it rest on the table.

“How about you stay with me for a couple of days? Tell Jongdae you’ll be with a good friend. I’ll tell Yixing I’ll be working on a group project. They won’t disturb you. You’ll have time to think. I’ll be here just in case you need someone to talk to. You’re going to be okay, Joonmyun. Love is hard, but it’s all worth it in the end.” He relaxed and nodded at my suggestion. “You have number saved, correct?” 

“I do,” he smiled softly.

“You can come over tomorrow if you’d like. My dorm is in building C, 7th floor, Room 16. It’s a doubles dorm, but I live alone. My roommate took a semester off.”

“Who’s your roommate?”

“He’s a music major, Park Chanyeol. I don’t know if you have heard of him. He’s quite popular in some of the clubs.”

“Oh, Park Chanyeol. I’ve heard that name before, but... I can’t remember where I heard it. Ah, now it’s going to bother me until I remember. I’ll let you know when I think of it.” His smile seemed a lot better.

You’re going to be okay, Joonmyun.