Rocks at the Bottom of the Pond

Smile For Me

Minseok massaged my back and hummed softly while I rested my head on the table. It was stressful. All of this drama was just stressful. I didn’t know Jongdae would be so spiteful. Minseok leaned back and sat beside me, “Yixing, what happened?”

“I already told you,” I mumbled into the table. “I snapped and I hit--”

“That’s not what I meant, Yixing,” he sighed as he lifted me up by my shoulders and had me lean against him. “How did this happen all come to be?”

I let out a sigh. It’s better to tell him now. “It started when Jongdae and I were high school. We went to the same school as Joonmyun. I knew Joonmyun first, but well an unhealthy competition started. It lead to us arguing over him. He would make fun of me and embarrass me in front of Joonmyun. He would tell me that he asked Joonmyun to school events and tell me that Joonmyun wasn’t interested in going with me. When we hung out as three, he would make me basically be the pack-mule. He tricked me, somehow, into thinking that Joonmyun would never want me. I realized he was toxic to me after we graduated and I spent the summer with Joonmyun, since Jongdae went to study in China for a few months. I helped Joonmyun become the president of the language club and we had a great time, then Jongdae came back. He was different. He was nicer to me. He and I became close again, but little did I know he was just going to steal Joonmyun away. And that’s it.”

“I-I’m sorry, Yixing. I’m sorry you had to go through all of that,” Minseok ran his hand down my back. “I wish I could have been there for you.”


“Yixing! Come inside for lunch!”

“Yes, Mama!” I ran inside eagerly.

“What are you doing out there, son?” My mother smiled as she patted my head and handed me a bowl of noodles and dumplings.

“I was dancing for everyone, Mama!” I smiled widely.

“You were? To what song?” she giggled as she pinched my cheek.

“Wang Leehom’s Impossible to Miss You,” I nodded as I began to consume the delicious meal.

My mother watched me attentively and smiled widely, “My baby. Ah, you know Mama will always love you. No matter what happens.” I looked up at her and tilted my head as I swallowed my food. “I’ll always be right here.” She tickled my tummy and I squirmed as I tried get away. “Oh, also here!” She blew on my neck causing me to laugh uncontrollably. “I should stop before you get a tummy ache.” She withdrew her hands and smiled at me, then moved my hair out of my face. “My precious baby boy, Mama is going to start work soon, so she can’t see you as much.” I pouted and took in another mouthful of food. “Your PoPo will be watching you.”

“Popo! I love Popo! Will she be here everyday after school?” I jumped around in my seat, then clapped in delight as my mother nodded.

“I wish I could be here for you, Yixing,” my mother frowned as she hugged me. “You know your father works really hard for you too. I’ll work just as hard.”

I wrapped my arms around her tightly. “I will always love you and Baba. I know you work extra hard just give me yummy food and cool toys! I love you so much!” I felt my mother’s body tremble as she began to cry. “Are you okay, Mama?”

“A-Ah... yeah... I am okay, Yixing,” she tried to hold back her tears. “You’re going to make someone super happy when you’re older. I know it.”


Minseok’s hand played with my hair as he hummed a soft lullaby. “Was it hard moving here, Yixing?”

I shook my head, “It wasn’t hard, but there were mean kids. I learned to deal with them and their bad attitudes. They called me mean names and threw things at me. Joonmyun saved me from the bad guys.”


“Stupid Chinese kid!”

“Go back where you came from!” A rock scratched my cheek.

“Dumb commie!”

“Get off our land! You are poison to it!” A few more rocks hit me and I just stood there, taking it all. My ears began to ring from all the screaming and my skin began to bruise and bleed from the rocks. I felt the guilt and shame of being something I had no control over pour down on me like a waterfall of painful rocks.

“Hey! What do you think you’re doing?” The rocks stopped and I peeked up to see a frail, pale young boy with a whistle and the peacekeeper vest on.

“...” one of the bullies muttered and they all dispersed quickly.

“Are you okay?” I felt two gentle hands land on my shoulders and I looked up at the concerned boy. A nod was all I could respond with. “I’ll get you to the nurse’s office. What happened?”

I am Chinese... that’s what happened unfortunately.