19th December

25 Days of December

"What's going on?" Wonshik asked.

He'd just arrived home to find the door of the apartment open with Hongbin standing inside still wearing his coat and talking to a shivering Hakyeon who was just in a t-shirt. The apartment felt like an icebox.

"Our heating's broken." Hongbin explained.

"The whole building?"

"No, just us. I spoke to the landlord and he said he can't get anyone to look at it until tomorrow, maybe not until the day after," Hongbin answered with slumped shoulders.

"I was just saying you can stay with me and Taekwoon for the night," Hakyeon offered. "There's no way you can stay in here. We've got the sofa bed you can share."

"Thanks," Wonshik mumbled, staring dazedly around at the apartment. Things could have been worse. It could have been flooded or burnt down. But he'd spoken too soon.

"What's going on?" a quiet voice asked from the doorway and Wonshik looked over his shoulder at Taekwoon. His heart fluttered as he remembered holding his hand the night before but then the chill in the air sank into his bones when he caught sight of Jaehwan's head bobbing about at his shoulder as he peeked inside.

Great. Just perfect.

Hakyeon explained the situation as Wonshik and Hongbin went to their rooms to change out of their work clothes before they piled into the other apartment.

Taekwoon introduced Jaehwan to Hongbin – Hakyeon having already met him – and Wonshik tried his very best not to scowl when the two immediately hit it off. Whose side was Hongbin on?

Out of all the nights for Jaehwan to visit, why did it have to be the one where he'd been given a golden opportunity? He could have built upon the move he'd made the night before and gotten cosy with Taekwoon on the sofa again, maybe even plucked up the courage to kiss him goodnight – if Hakyeon and Hongbin had been kind enough to give them a moment alone.

Instead, he was sat on the sofa with his knees to his chest, chin resting sullenly on his palm, with Taekwoon miles away on the other side of the room, all of his attention being consumed by Jaehwan.

It just wasn't fair.