18th December

25 Days of December

Once again knowing that Wonshik would be finishing work not long after he did, Taekwoon ventured to the coffee shop with the excuse of wanting a hot drink. He didn't even wait for Wonshik to finish asking him if he wanted to go home together, immediately nodding in confirmation.

When Wonshik's shift finished, he brought out their drinks and Taekwoon waited as he got ready.

"Where's your scarf?" Wonshik asked as he zipped up his coat.

"I think someone stole it," Taekwoon glumly replied, tugging on his collar. "What are you doing?" he squeaked a moment later when Wonshik started to wrap his scarf around Taekwoon's neck.

"My coat zips up high so I don't need it," he explained.

"But we're only going down the road," Taekwoon tried to argue, attempting to still Wonshik's hands.

Wonshik was having none of it. "We are. So I'll be okay."

"But—"

Wonshik shushed him and he stopped trying to argue, not sure what he'd even been going to say. The smell of Wonshik's aftershave was swirling around him, absorbed in the fabric of his scarf, and he found himself dazed.

"There. Now let's go," Wonshik said, handing Taekwoon his drink and then leading the way outside. Taekwoon's knees were weak as he followed.

They sipped their drinks as they walked and Taekwoon kept swapping the hand he was holding it in whenever the empty one started to get cold. Until Wonshik reached out and grabbed it.

Taekwoon jerked in shock, arm stiff and fingers unresponsive.

Wonshik was staring resolutely ahead, expression blank, making Taekwoon wonder if he was just imagining it. But when he looked down, Wonshik's hand was indeed in his and Taekwoon was holding him in return, though he had no memory of doing so.

Their hands remained clasped for the rest of the short journey home and Taekwoon found himself wishing that they weren't wearing gloves, wanting to feel the younger's warmth.

Wonshik kept hold of his hand as they entered their apartment building, even as they stood in the lift. Not that Taekwoon made a move to let go either.

When they reached their doors, Taekwoon thought the time had come for their usual awkward linger. Instead, Wonshik released his hand and put his key in his lock without even looking back at him.

"Goodnight," Wonshik said and then the door shut in Taekwoon's face, leaving him in the hallway with Wonshik's scarf still looped about his neck, feeling positively baffled.