11th December

25 Days of December

When Hongbin and Wonshik realised they were out of milk after dinner, they employed the usual decider of rock paper scissors to determine the unfortunate who would have to brave the weather for a trip to the off-licence. Wonshik's cry of defeat was fuel for Hongbin's grin.

The younger reached for a mince pie from the container on the counter as Wonshik left and he wrinkled his nose - at his loss but also at the enthusiasm with which Hongbin devoured the dessert.

He hadn't enjoyed the one he'd eaten the night before and he didn't know why he couldn't have just said that he didn't like them in the first place. Then again, that would have meant not seeing the relieved smile that had tugged at the corners of Taekwoon's mouth.

The icy rush of air that met him when he opened the door to the building took his breath away and his body was racked with shivers. The steps leading down to the pavement glistened in the light of the streetlamp overhead and he clung onto the railing as he went, wary of the ice beneath a meagre sprinkling of grit.

He'd been so focused on his feet that he didn't notice Taekwoon coming down the path towards him until he reached the bottom, which was just as well because it probably would have resulted in an embarrassing tumble.

The older man had a bag from the off-licence dangling from a gloved hand and Wonshik felt his heart sink at the lost opportunity to accompany him. They came to a halt in front of each other.

"We've run out of milk," Wonshik explained and Taekwoon held up his bag.

"Snacks."

"Did you lose at rock paper scissors too?"

"Hakyeon cheated."

Wonshik wasn't surprised.

"I don't really mind. I like nights like this," Taekwoon said with a delicate smile to match his delicate voice.

Wonshik could see that he was shivering slightly.

"You should probably get insid–" he moved aside to allow Taekwoon space to pass, but his foot skidded on a patch of ice and he would have fallen if Taekwoon hadn't been so quick to grab his elbow. Wonshik clutched onto him, life flashing before his eyes, and stayed that way until he realised they were practically embracing. He hurried to let go.

"Thanks," he said, sheepishly. "I'll see you later." He wanted to get away as fast as possible so he could drown in his embarrassment without an audience.

"I can come–"

"I'll be fine."

Taekwoon pursed his lips but didn't argue. "Be careful!" he called after him, voice firmer than Wonshik had ever heard it before.

He didn't need telling twice.