Operation Pushing Limits

Writing A Secret (Unfinished)

 

Wendy felt her hands trembling as she operated the coffee machine.

 

Geez, why did Seul have to get this complicated gadget? She whined internally. There isn’t even an instructions booklet to go with it. She absolutely can’t figure out the nook and crannies in this machine…

 

She peered down a hole at the side of the machine. Do I pour the coffee beans down this opening? Fiddling with devices was never her speciality…

 

Half an hour passed and she was still stuck with the machine, adamant to having her daily caffeine dose. Seulgi strode into the kitchen with a towel over her damp hair.

 

“Morning Wendy ah.”

 

“You.” Wendy gestured towards the machine, “I need my coffee. Now.”

 

Seulgi raised an eyebrow, “Well, if it isn’t the bossy Seungwan waking up the wrong side of bed today.”

 

“Sorry. I just really don’t do well figuring out such… stuffs.” She heaved a defeated sigh.

 

Seulgi chuckled, “Press this button here. Pour your beans here. Turn this knob here. Presto. Your magic coffee.” She handed a cup of freshly made coffee to the grateful Canadian.

 

“Thanks Seul, you almighty Abracadabra.” Wendy giggled, taking the cup.

 

“Don’t mention it. Just cheer up, you silly dork.” Seulgi smiled and headed back to her room to get ready.

 

Wendy seated herself into a high chair, sipping her coffee while calmly checking her phone for new updates when…

 

“IRENE UNNIE!!!”

 

She almost spilled her coffee at the sudden intrusion of the group’s maknae, “Yah Park Sooyoung!”

 

Joy blinked, “Oh it’s you. I was looking for Irene unnie.” As quickly as she came, she had vanished out the kitchen door before Wendy could retort.

 

“Aish…”Wendy sighed and decided to move herself to the living room, where the couch would be more comfy.

 

“Wendy unnie!! Irene unnie said for you to get ready as-”


 

SPLASH.


 

Intense silence followed… Both girls had their mouths opened.


 

“Omo!” Seulgi had came and saw the mess on the floor. It wasn’t that big of a mess because the greater mess was on…

 

“Oh my god, I’m sorry!” Wendy rushed to grab a cloth to dab at the maknae’s tee shirt.

 

Joy sighed and accepted the cloth without any complains, “Thank goodness this is just my sleeping tee…”

 

“Still… Sorry.” Wendy pouted while helping clean off Joy.

 

“It’s fine. I’m gonna go change.”


 

Joy was strangely calm, which made both Wendy and Seulgi quite nervous. They couldn’t put a finger to what ticks the giant baby off.


 

***


 

That day, Wendy found herself apologizing to Joy for the second time…

 

They were both in Joy’s room.

 

“I’m really really sorry!!” The older girl had her palms together and head bowed.

 

Joy sighed heavily, “Did you know how hungry I was, unnie?”

 

Wendy nodded.

 

“Thanks to you, I didn’t have time to have my breakfast.”

 

Wendy looked away, face red.

 

“Because of you, I didn’t get anything during lunch hour too.”

 

“S-Sorry Sooyoung ah…”

 

“You said you would bring lunch to me, so I waited in my school for you. I waited all the way till lunch was over.”

 

Wendy fell into guilty silence.

 

“It’s fine if you weren’t going to bring me my promised lunch but you could have at least text.” Joy continued, frowning.

 

Wendy bit her lip, “You must have been really really… hungry.” She fell silent again when Joy glared.

 

“I was hungry to death, unnie!”

 

“S-Sorry… I’ll bring you lunch tomorrow instead...”

 

The maknae scoffed, “No thanks. I can get my own meals.” She flopped down onto her bed, stabbed in her ear pieces and closed her eyes.

 

Seeing as she was being ignored by the fuming maknae, Wendy decided to retreat back into her own room. As she lay in her bed, thoughts began to fill up her mind…



 

Today...

 

I made Joy really angry, didn’t I...?



 

***



 

“Seungwannie! Let’s take a photo together! Come on!” Irene had her arms around Joy, beckoning for the Canadian to join them.

 

Wendy looks at their leader who seemed extra cheerful today, turning to look at Joy only made her swallow in nervousness. Ever since that incident, Wendy has been really cautious with their maknae. After all, this is their first falling out.

 

As soon as she reached them, Irene gleefully passed a camera to her, “Take a snapshot of us!”

 

“Okay.” She raised the camera and wanted to snap a photo of them when…

 

“Unnie, lower it more. I want my full body in.” Joy stated.

 

“O-Okay…”


 

Apparently, when fate decides to make a fool out of you, it doesn’t matter where you are or when…

 

Seulgi had jumped out with the intention of blocking Irene and Joy in the shot. However…


 

“Wahhh!!” Wendy screamed and everyone stared in horror at the camera that went… flying in mid air…


 

CRASH.


 

“Oh my god, Irene unnie I’m so sorry!!”

 

Irene made a face, “Actually that isn’t my camera…” She turned to look at Joy.

 

Joy had bent down to pick up the broken camera. Wendy was stunned, as if her soul had left her body.

 

“N-N… Not y-your… camera….” She stammered.

 

Joy stood up with the pieces of her camera in her hands, calmly walking to a dustbin and dumping the remains in.

 

Seulgi approached her first, “Sorry Sooyoung ah… I shouldn’t have tried to prank you guys.”

 

Joy smiled, “It’s not your fault, Seul unnie. Besides, I can always get a new one.” and left the three of them rooted to the ground there.


 

Wendy with the heaviest heart.

 

Not Seulgi’s fault… Then…

 

It’s my fault, isn’t it?

 

Oh gosh…



 

***



 

“Hiding under your blanket isn’t going to improve the situation, Seungwan ah…” Irene pulled at the covers.

 

Wendy clung onto them, “Go away unnie…”

 

“You’ve been acting really weird today.” Irene was still holding on.

 

“It’s not working…” Wendy sighed, “Or is it going too well now?”

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“My plan to try push Joy’s limits.”

 

Irene was taken aback, “Huh?”

 

“I had to see if Joy doesn’t like me… Today I kept doing horrible things to her to see if she really doesn’t like me.”

 

“What?!”

 

“And I realized it’s true. She doesn’t like me one bit…” Wendy muttered, “I must have done something to her before that made her dislike me so much.”

 

Irene frowned, “What the hell are you talking about?”

 

Wendy sighed, her eyes reflecting her own sadness to Irene, “Don’t you get it?”

 

“Why would Joy dislike you?” Irene softly asked, “You’re great. Always cheerful. Always fun to be with. It’s just lately I think you’ve been having this pitiful puppy dog look on your face…”

 

Wendy laughed despite the sadness she felt, “She’s been avoiding me a lot.”

 

“Really?” Irene tilted her head, “Well, I’ll have to see for myself or I won’t believe it.”

 

“Unnie…” Wendy whined, “I’m a detestable being.”

 

Irene laughed, “You’re not. You’re my strength when I’m feeling down, Seungwan ah. Don’t degrade yourself unnecessarily. Besides, it could be that Joy’s stressed with her exams and juggling work at the same time.”

 

“Oh… true…” Wendy thought about the younger’s extra hectic schedules and felt even more guilty, “I’ve been a horrible unnie…”

 

Irene flicked a finger at her forehead, “Not too late to make up for it.”

 

“Ow…”

 

“But dinner first.” She successfully yanked the covers off in one go.

 

“YAH UNNIEEEEE!!” Wendy screamed and grabbed the covers back.

 

Irene’s face turned a crimson red and her eyes blazed...

 

“SON SEUNGWAN!!!!”

 

 

 

A roar from the depths of hell...

 




“PUT ON SOME FREAKING CLOTHES YOU IDIOTTT!!!”