Understanding Truths

Roommate Manor

A/N I know I haven't updated in a while but life has been a bit hectic lately what with college and work but I'm back with chapter seven finally. This chapter is dedicated to everyone that has subscribed and upvoted since the beginning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Jongdae, you're back in Seoul?" Xiumin asked, surprise written clearly on his face, "When did you get back here?"

"Two days ago." Jongdae replied, a bitter look on his face, "What about you, huh? Where have you been the past few years? You didn't even come to my high school graduation like you promised you would! You broke your promise and you're supposed to be my friend! I waited for two weeks for you to call or text o tell me why you didn't show up, but did you do any of that? No! You broke your promise for no good reason whatsoever and no matter what excuse you come up with, I don't want to hear it! I'm leaving, I've lost my appetite."

Ranting done, Chen turned and stormed out of the cafe leaving everyone frozen in shock until Heechul let out a scoff in annoyance, turning everyone's attention to him in confusion.

"Seriously, that kid has issues." Heechul remarked with a sigh, "Did he not see that his best friend is wearing leg braces and using crutches? Did he not hear the waiter, Kai, mention physical therapy?"

"Heechul hyung, he was blinded by anger because of what happened a few years ago. Although he is an idiot." Taemin commented in response to Heechul before turning to Xiumin, "Umm, Xiumin ssi. I'm just wondering, but how did you end up this way? If I'm not bothering you."

"Don't worry, you're not." Xiumin replied, "As for what happened...I was hit by a car a few years ago. It left me in pretty bad shape and the doctors weren't sure I would even wake up from the coma I ended up in."

"Did you really not show up at Chen's graduation with no explanation though?" Dongwoo asked, "Or was there a reason that he doesn't know about?"

Looking down, Xiumin let out a sad sigh before responding. "There was a reason I didn't show up. I wasn't there because it was not long after I had been hit by a car. I didn't even wake up until six months later. Plus even if I had woken up sooner, my phone was destroyed and I didn't have Jongdae's number so I wouldn't have been able to contact him anyway. After I woke up I had to stay in the hospital to recover so I didn't have a chance to contact his cousin for his number so that I could explain. Believe me, if I had been well enough to travel, I would have gotten on the next flight to China to see him. Unfortunately, I was only recently cleared to travel outside of the country. I couldn't even go to Jeju-do. I've spent the last few years wishing there was some way I could get word to Jongdae to let him know that I didn't miss his graduation on purpose."

Smiling softly, Luhan stood up and made his way to the other male, pulling him into a hug saying, "Don.t worry Baozi, we'll make sure to get Chen to talk it out with you and set things straight. After all, I know how it feels to suddenly lose contact with my best friend and not know what's going on. As it turns out, he ended up in a less than pleasant foster home, which led to him living in a hospital for a year and a half after losing his sight." At that Luhan looked over at Sehun, noticing that Karam had moved to sit next to the younger and translate for him, before adding, "Of course, unlike Chen I didn't end up becoming angry about it and decide that Sehun wasn't my best just because he was no longer talking to me. Instead I realized that something must have happened to prevent him from emailing me like we promised each other we would. I may have only known him for the two weeks that I was on a school trip, but that short amount of time led me to trust that he would never break a promise for no reason if he could help it."

When Luhan finished speaking, Xiumin couldn't help but smile, grateful for what the Chinese waiter had said to help him not feel so guilty about breaking his promise to Chen a few years earlier.

While this had all transpired, no one noticed that Baekhyun had pulled out his phone and called someone secretly. He had also put in ear buds so that no one would hear answered as he told the person to just listen and not say anything as he switched to speaker mode. Once Luhan and Xiumin had finished talking, Baekhyun turned his attention back to his phone saying, "Did you hear all of that? Now do you understand what happened and why he never showed up or called, because you acted like a complete jerk right before you stormed out of the cafe you moron. "

At Baekhyun's comment, everyone looked at him in confusion, not understanding who he was talking to. 

"Uh, Baek? Are you talking to yourself again?" Junsu asked in concern. 

"What? No!" Baekhyun exclaimed, glaring at his cousin, "I was talking to Chen. I secretly called him right before Xiumin ssi started explaining things and told him to just listen and not say anything. That way he would have no choice but to listen to the reason his best friend broke his promise. Now I'm just waiting for his response to my question. So, did you hear what Xiumin ssi said Chen? Will you come back to the cafe so you two can talk it out and catch up on what's happened in the past few years you've been apart?"

"...The fact that all of that happened doesn't excuse that he didn't make a big enough effort to contact me." Chen's voice responded from the phone, "I mean he could have just talked to his own cousin. After all, both our cousins are best friends. They even live and work together! "

"Jongdae! You don't understand." Xiumin said, desperation clear in his voice, "I have spent every day since I woke up in constant pain that even medicine can't do anything about. That pain makes it almost impossible to hold a single thought. It used to be controlled by an herbal remedy that Kai's cousin's best friend makes, but he moved back to China last year and the remedy ran out six months ago."

Once Xiumin finished speaking again, everyone looked at Kai who confirmed what the shorter male said about his cousin's best friend and the herbal remedy. A few seconds later Chen's voice came over the phone's speaker saying that he was willing to listen but only if Xiumin were to go to the manor everyone was staying at. That way if Chen wanted to, he would be able to lock himself in one of the many rooms. With that said, Chen hung up making Baekhyun glare at his phone while everyone else just let out a sigh at Chen's behavior. 

"Well that was interesting. Although we could just lock Chen hyung and Xiumin ssi in a room and not let them out until they make up." Taemin commented, earning surprised stares from the rest of the group, "What? That's what my appa did when my cousins were fighting about something stupid. My aunt uses it when the workers on the ranch are fighting too. Any who, Changmin hyung, can you show me around the area some  before we go back to the manor ? I want to see what's changed since I moved to America and catch up on what I've missed since we last talked. Please hyung? 

For the next few moments everyone waited to see how Changmin would respond when he sighed and said, "Fine...as long as I can prevent you from resorting to aegyo like you tend to do to get what you want."

Grinning, Taemin got up and dragged Changmin out of the cafe and down the street in the opposite direction of the cars. The next few minutes consisted of the two cousins exchanging stories about what had happened to them lately.  All of a sudden, the two heard the sound of screeching tires and someone calling "Look out!" The thing Taemin knew, he was being shoved to one side where he hit his head on the ground, causing him to briefly black out. A few moments later he regained consciousness and when he opened his eyes to look around in confusion, the first thing he saw made him go wide eyed in shock before he cried out.

"Changmin hyung!"

------------------------------------------------------------

A/N So I know its taken quite a while  for me to post this chapter and for that I apologize. I will be working on getting the next couple of chapters typed up as soon as I can since they are already written. I will not be posting anymore hints as to the identity of the mystery resident because there are some who've figured it out and guessed correctly but you can still look back through and guess if you would like.