Yunho's Interlude: Based on C0-PAN10N

This is Utopia

A/N: This is where the initial idea for their world comes from. I wrote this as a freshman in high school and got a 98/98. The setting is not exactly the same as in the fic, but it has many of the same ideas like the Jung family library. C0-PAN10N is read as "Co-panion" like companion, but spelled C-zero-P-A-N-one-zero-N. This oneshot happens about four or five years before the fic takes place. 
________________________________________________________________________

“Since when did I become your maid?” The female rose from the box that workers had hurriedly packed her into and stepped out staring face to face with her ‘master’. The young man stepped back, wary of her functions. He knew what she could do; an android designed to aid in the everyday life of the common people. At least, he still considered himself as a common person, but in this day and age he associated with the higher class.

The robotic woman raised an arm. Did she process the command to hit him? He flinched when her cold fingers brushed against his cheek. She had no feeling, no warmth. Her plastic specially made skin did not have the feeling of life coming from it. “I –My name is Yunho. Your programming makes you follow my every command!” The woman slowly turned her head to get a better look at her surroundings, her arm dropping to her side without control.

“Master? Such words do not match the vocabulary in my circuitry. My function does not share likeness with toys Mr. Yunho, my use pertains to companionship. I will make you happy, not a sandwich. Servitude can not link to my operating use.” Her electronic eyes dilated and zeroed in on the couch the next room over. “Yunho, get out of my way.” She shoved the man against the wall with extraordinary strength and marched to the loveseat.

Yunho tried to catch his breath that just been knocked out of him before following in suite. He sat opposite her in a single lounge chair and examined the android carefully. He had been duped. She didn’t remind Yunho of any of the things he had read and learned from books or android promotions. “Why did I have to get an old version?” His father, a working businessman, had sent Yunho an android as an assistant for finding a wife. He didn’t think he’d get one with so many glitches.

The android raised a finger and released a laser onto his chest. Yunho jumped, but realized the light couldn’t hurt him. “Mr. Yunho, I am one of the newest models on the market! My brand name, C0-PAN10N version <3, refers to my use, if you didn’t catch that. Our designs have us being companions to our selected owners. Built with the most developed emotions, C0-PAN10Ns have sold as far back as the last fifty years. In these times of hardship, we qualify for receiving income for appropriate jobs. But maids can not relate to us Mr. Yunho.”

He had sat down again, calmer but still irritated. “Please, just call me Yunho.” The android's head shifted vertically, showing her understanding. “Look, my father mixed up the shipment. You can’t be what I’m supposed to have. I don’t want a companion.”
“A C0-PAN10N.”

“Whatever. I need to live my life normally and just wait for the right person. I don’t need you forced onto me. If you want to stay here then you can’t act like a stalker ex-girlfriend.”

“But Yunho, I already love you.” Yunho did not believe that a machine could process what love really meant. He scoffed, ignoring the whirring of the droid. He didn’t buying it. Her love? It would always mean programmed ideals. The person that opened the box got picked the person she loved. It didn’t meet any logic. Of course it had come from fifty years earlier. She called herself the newest model, but a person smart enough to try and upgrade the products didn’t exist.

“If you don’t follow what I say, I will send you outside to get picked up and turned into scrap metal.” The android pouted before bowing her head lightly in compliance.

“Yes sir. But do I have to call you master?” Yunho rolled his head around in thought.

“I’d like that, but what I’d like more is for you to make that sandwich I asked for five minutes ago. I open the box, I ask for a sandwich; you get out and make it. That is how we do things here at the Jung’s.” The android shifted her body parts and stood. Satisfyingly for Yunho, she located herself in the kitchen and proceeded to make the requested meal.

The Jung family ran very formally during the last millennia. The men would educate themselves from the private library that grew since history started recording. For most their lifetime became their history, but the Jung’s had books from the time that some countries still existed. They had learned that the times had greatly changed from the past there used to be. People had received education properly in schools and the job standards reached higher peaks. Resources had come plentiful and used wastefully. And most importantly, three meals got eaten by everyone, everyday.

Taking that into consideration, the Jung family kept their tradition to being as much like their ancestors as physically possible. They had an education, good jobs- great by the day’s opinion. The family couldn’t be as lavish with their spending, but they did spoil themselves here and there. They also had three balanced servings of chow a day, with some snacks in between. That led to Mr. Jung sending his son an android that took the place as his personal servant. Yunho had every intention of talking to him about that later.

The android came back in with a sandwich that looked very unappealing. The bread was soggy from overuse of some liquid. The ingredients inside? Rotten cheese and tomatoes Yunho was sure hadn’t been in his storage. “I don’t even think we carry this anymore. Why is this so bad?” Yunho took one bite before spitting it back out in repulsion. “I thought you could cook!” The android shook her head mechanically in denial.

“The C0-PAN10N has software programmed to make each droid act clumsy and have zero cooking skills. Our creators thought it would be cute. We do not have the same functions as the earlier versions. Master, I said ‘maid’ didn’t match my recommended uses.”

* * *

He waved his arm out; the buzzing giving him an early morning migraine. Waking up to the nagging of an android took its place among things he had to get used to. As much as he had expectantly waited for a helping hand, the C0-PAN10N created disasters with a touch from her animatronics. She couldn’t make meals. She couldn’t wash laundry. She couldn’t clean the house. She couldn’t do anything but act like Yunho meant everything to her. “Go away.”

The machine pulled a face. She was trying to present herself as cute, but her frame left her with a jutted out jaw and a distorted expression. “But Yunho, you schedule says you have an appointment with a woman that could be your wife. As displeased as I emerge, master would throw me out if I kept you from the one.” Yunho sighed and hauled himself out of bed. He could not handle this fight again. His servant, maid as he preferred to call her, did not know how much she irritated him.

He shuffled to his lavatory and started to make himself presentable. “When time do I have to meet her?” He stared at his reflection in the back of the android. He used her metallic plating covering her power source as a mirror to comb his hair.

“She will arrive here approximately one and a half hours from now.” Yunho grinned and shook his head joyfully.

“That is the perfect amount of time for breakfast!” He walked around the android and locked eyes with her. “Stay out of the kitchen if you don’t want to end up like my toaster, broken and at the dump.”

Just as she was programmed to do, she stood directly outside Yunho’s kitchen door. As Yunho ate his omelet with hunger, she patiently waited for whatever assistance he would need. Some program in her, however; told her to stop Yunho from eating the precious resource. “Master Yunho, how are you able to enjoy such a delicacy?” Any morsel of food labeled edible got considered a delicacy.

Yunho looked up from his plate, mouth full of egg, trying to answer the android's question. The android showed no reaction other than a tilt of her head in confusion. Her auditory sensors did not have the proper dictionary to translate his jumbled words. Yunho rolled his eyes and swallowed the yellow. “I have the money, I’ll eat, and I’ll eat the good things. I’ll have none of that processed crap that gets everyone sick."

“So Master is very rich?” Yunho drank some juice to clear his throat more.

“You could say that, but…” Yunho had not given her a name. “Uh, if you studied your history you would know that I work a normal job and get a decent pay.” He did not know if she deserved a name. She could not relate to the special feeling humans got by having a name, something that belonged to them. She did not have real emotions.

“My history? I will take the initiative to go through the Jung inventory as time progresses. My main calculations now indicate that your meeting will interfere with your working from home,” Yunho placed his dish into the sanitizing rack, letting the product do its job and function.

“It’ll e fine. At least I don’t have to visit her. The air outside could kill cockroaches. As soon as I get married I’m moving into a place with fewer radioactive wastes in the air we breathe. Years of war left the entire planet unfit for living.

“Master! My body will corrode in the air! I will also get detained at the safe pass station!” Since Androids became discontinued they often got taken back for safety issues at the tunnel used for travel.

Yunho showed no compassion. “Father said he bought a replacement droid and just needed to send it to fix his mix up. I’d have no regret with getting a new one.” Yunho almost believed that her pained expression showed meaning until he remembered she only had the emotions of a machine. He ignored her slowly receding lips. Her frown didn’t really mean she disliked his decision.

* * *

Yunho had not seen another living human in years. He did not even step out of his own home. The current world had too many people begging for his charity or praising him for having such luck. Yunho did not understand how luck made him stand out so much. The people made numerous attempts at his good fortune. The savage women scared Yunho. They all lost their dwindling self-control and took chaotic steps to winning his heart. Yunho had his father screen through the candidates to give him peace of mind.

The woman in front of him came across pleasant. She did not flirt with him without reservation nor did she try to appear just as able as he retained. Her face had hints of beauty in it. The C0-PAN10N did not like her though. When the females met at the threshold she slammed the door, but she opened it again as her conflicting orders urged her to present herself as a good host. Yunho could hear her growling at his guest, but he was content with knowing the sound was only her gears turning.

From his sitting room Yunho beckoned for the woman to sit with him. She glared at the android and made herself at home. Yunho raised an eyebrow and coughed. The intruder did not understand what she had done wrong. The android spoke up with her full knowledge. “It is customary to introduce oneself first when meeting someone new in their home. You come off very rude Miss. Please make the proper greeting with the great Yunho Jung.” The woman shot her eyes open when she got told off by the android. She hadn’t expected the machine to act so superior.

“Ah, yes, my friends call me Jessica, nice to meet you. Sorry, but your hunk of metal frightened me and I lost my nerves for a second.” Yunho glowered to the said metal. She blinked her glass eyes and turned her head away embarrassed. Yunho didn’t even want to comprehend how an android got embarrassed. “Mr. Yunho, my throat dried quickly from my momentary time in that toxic air. Can you get me some water?”

Yunho looked at the droid before concluding that she would be useless with the task. There had been so many attempts on Yunho’s part to teach her manners and housework, one of his many failures with the android. “I’ll get it in a jiffy.” Jessica smiled as he left the room then quickly turned her attention to the android.

Her smile returned to her previous fierceness. Her head snapped from side to side as she cursed at the android. “So you live with Yunho? Do you beg for him to follow your needs? Has he given you a name? What have you two done together?” She received no response from the machine. “Arrg! The androids had a recall because of things like this! Nobody but the master could get along with them! Well you listen to me, when Yunho and I get married you will turned into a new pair of heels and I will forbid him of getting another. I will not allow him to waste his fortune on stupid androids! He works enough with computers; I don’t need anymore unneeded technology!”

The android did not enjoy the tone used against her. “Master Yunho has informed me that he does not have a fortune that vastly compares to historical incomes.” Jessica scoffed. “Also, Yunho does not want a selfish bride for those reasons. I will get him to reconsider your possible marriage. As for my name, Yunho does not call me anything, but my back says C0-PAN10N <3.”

Jessica stood up ready to pounce the android. “You little –.”

C0-PAN10N pushed her back onto the couch with extra strength hiding her jealousy. Jessica screamed when her body hit the soft cushions. “Please remain seated and wait for Yunho to bring you the valuable clean water.” Jessica puffed her hair out of her eyes with disgust.

Having heard the scream, Yunho came into the room urgently. “What made me so frightened girls? Did someone get hurt?” He looked over to Jessica because she was the only one that could get injured then he glanced back at the androids since she would have been the culprit. Jessica took advantage of the situation slyly.

“Yunho, this android had bodily harmed me! I think she holds jealousy for our relationship.” Yunho sighed. That did match the android's personality. He had no doubts of the attacks his android allegedly did.

The android's jaw lost strength and dropped. “Master Yunho, the truth can not be found in the Miss’s statement! My jealousy does not reach the same levels of that lying woman, but I suppose my push hurt Miss Jessica. However, that woman has been acting exactly the way you do not like.”

“Like you know what I want a girl to act like. You can’t do anything correctly yourself.” Acid started to leak from the androids eyes. Then it came to Yunho that it wasn’t acid, those were tears.

“Master, I will always willingly accept your lifestyle. Jessica thinks of you as a money bag!” She was crying harder. Jessica stared incredulously at the weeping android. She could not take in the sight in front of her. “Is Yunho going to throw me out because I have been a bad companion?” Yunho had already assessed what the real happenings between the two. He had a hunch that Jessica did not actually hand out free cookies like she came across as and he knew the right decision.

Putting his fingers to his chin, he calmly let out his statement. “No, I will not be throwing you out. Jessica?” The girl on the couch perked up. “Please kindly get out of my house.” Jessica gasped when she heard that she had just gotten flat out rejected. She had completely ruined her chance of an easy life.

“You are choosing a nameless android over me? What kind of a man are you?” Yunho grinned and hugged the android. She did not feel as cold as he expected her to sense.

“I am a man with a heart. And as a heartfelt man, I will give this girl a wonderful name. You can take your leave now Miss Jessica.” He waved his arm towards the door indicating she needed to take her exit. Jessica shrieked again and stormed out of the room, leaving the two alone.

“Does Yunho really have a name for me? What is it?” Yunho couldn’t wipe his smile off his face.

“I don’t know yet, but I have a long time to think it up. You’ll always wait on me, from now to the end of my time.”