chapter iv

Our Story (우리의 이야기)


“Where’s Mom?” Yonghwa asked his Dad, with his trembling voice. Shinhye was at his back.
Yonghwa’s Dad is on the floor, with some clothes of the woman scattered. His face was all red and anybody can tell that he has someone he used to be in arms – that’s gone now. His dried tears were written on his cheeks.

“Back with him,” the aged man told.
“Back?” Shinhye asked. “Maybe the appropriate word is gone with him, right?”


Yonghwa took a glance at her and smiled. “No, the word back is just perfect.” He helped his Dad to get up and let him sit on the couch. “Shinhye, can you please get some water?” He almost begged.


“I was supposedly going to do that,” she awkwardly smiled.

“Who is she?”


“Friend,” Yonghwa answered.


“Hmm, friend.”


“Dad, we all expect this to happen that Mom’s going to leave us.” He said. “It just that, even we know this will happen, nothing beats that real moment.” A very deep sigh was heard from him. “Let’s get over it!”


“You’re hurting my son,” his Dad cried. “I am so sorry, for letting your Mom slipped from my tight embrace.”


“That’s not your fault, nor Mom or-


“As you said, let’s just get over it.”


“I’m here Dad and don’t forget that I am your son,” he smiled.  

“Here’s the drink,” Shinhye gave the glass of water to Yonghwa’s Dad. “I never planned to eavedropped but I just did.” She smiled awkwardly. “And I don’t hell understand you two are talking about.”

Yonghwa’s Dad laughs, “of course, and I bet you wouldn’t understand it overnight.” He tapped Yonghwa’s back. “Your friend knows a lot from you already. I thought it is just Minhyuk that knows it all.“

Shinhye pouted like a kid. “Then I guess I will stay overnight today, so I’ll understand it from the beginning.“ 

“And why?“ Yonghwa is happy that now, there is someone like Shinhye who try to understand his behavior and his life. He met so much people in his life - but all of them backs out the time his thoughts are going to be said. “You know, you don‘t have to.“ 

“What if she wants to stay still tonight?“ His Dad abruptly said.

"I bet she wouldn't." Yonghwa chuckled. "You can go home now, Shinhye." He tapped her head.

"Send me home then." 

Yonghwa’s Dad giggled. "Thank you Shinhye, my son would be so down today if you wouldn't be here mocking him." 

"I am not mocking any of the two of you. But if that's better understanding than me caring for a family that I just knew today, then I'll accept it." She bowed as a sign of saying goodbye. "Yonghwa’s Dad - if ever you need me or you want something to be fun with. Call me. Don't even hesitate. Okay?" She bragged like a little daughter on his own Dad. 

"I will." He smiled.

***

"So what really happened?" Shinhye insisted.

"Nothing." 

"What a brat. Just spill it out." She shouted. 

"Why are you shouting? People might freak out in here. It's already midnight." He tried to shushed her. 

"Then spill it out." 

"My Mom left us." 

"Then?"

"Then we are all alone.

"So?" She tonely said. 

"What do you mean 'so'?" 

"So, what you are and your Dad doing now? Let go?" She stopped walking.

"What's the sense of letting go if we aren't even holding her in the first place?" He sadly smiled. "What a bull I am saying, right?" 

"I just realized the real Jung Yonghwa as of exactly 12am of September 24." She smiled. "You're not that bad after all. You simple became that bad because of the things you experience. I guess you're way better than Park Shinhye." 

"Why do you say so?" 

"Make yourself realize it." She winked. "Here's my place. FYI - I live alone.
Family's not here in the country." She tapped his shoulder. 

"Then can I sleep tonight here? If that's the case--

He stopped by Shinhye sudden embrace in front of him. She tapped her back two times. "I know you wouldn't do such thing even we are sleeping in the same bed." She assuredly said, without any fear or hesitations. "I told you, I know you now." Then she giggle like a kid. "Somehow, I am happy that you let me know your problems. It's not because I just want to help but because I know you want someone to lean on." She tapped his back again.  

"You are so unbelievable,  Park Shinhye." That's all he can say, because everything was said by her and understood by her. The feeling of him being out of words simple means he's
contented and happy. "It's so hard to say this but thanks." He smiled.

"If it's hard then don't say it. Don't push yourself too much. Everything is a process." She finally let go of the warm embrace from the birth of autumnal season. "See you tomorrow. And I know your Dad and you can do it."

Yonghwa nodded. "We will." 

"Good." 
 

***

"Why are you so early?" Lee Jungshin teased Yuri. 

Yuri pretended that she heard nothing
and tried to read her notes. 

"Why Shinhye not here yet?" He asked again.

"Why are you finding her? You like her?" Yuri shouted. "If you like her, then don't talk to me. We are friends and I don't want ruin it!"

"You are so cute Yoooori.." Jungshin teased.

"Stop that nonsense."

"The Yoooori part? But that's the most exciting part of my tease drama." He laughs. 

"Knock it off Lee Jungshin." A girly but strong voice came from nowhere. 

"I know that voice." He said

"Of course, because if not I am going to escalate this to Yonghwa." She replied.

"Jieun!" Jungshin blurted."You seriously went in this university?!" He ruffled her hair. "You are so amazing." 

"I think you honestly want to say that I am stupid." She pouted. 

"Ehem, " Yuri cleared her not so itchy throat just to make herself notice. 

"Oh, right." Jungshin said. "This is my new toy - Yoooori and her friend Shinhye. And she just arrived."

"TOY????!" Yuri exclaimed.
"Stop acting like a child Yuri." Shinhye bored said. 

"Nice to meet you guys." Jieun smiled. "I'm out here, Jungshin. I'm just going to get my boys - Yong and Hyuk." She waved goodbye. 

"Amazingly stupid, Lee Jieun." Jungshin smirked. "Do you know that everything Jieun wants, Jieun gets." He said to Shinhye.

"Do I care?" Shinhye sighed and left the room.