chapter xix

Our Story (우리의 이야기)

Tonight has been the worst nightmare, up in the sky he can see those stars but the pain his having is like the sun trying to break out at dawn. It is warm, to the point that it burns.

 He is aching, both of them are aching. He wanted to blame someone, he wanted to shout. But he knew that nothing will happen. 

Because Shinhye has already decided. 

 

From the very first time that he knew her, all good for a reason things happened. He knew his a typical bad guy who's trying to hide his hurt heart. But Shinhye stood up, and lift him from the pain. And now, he is aching because of her. "The irony of life." He sighed. "Damn!" As he shouts, his fist landed on the concrete wall of his room. His tears are rolling like there's no tomorrow. His teary eyes search for his phone, he needed to talk to her. Now. He dialed but no one is picking up. "Pick it up. Please."

 

Nobody. 

 

No one reached out to the other line. 

No one.

 

She wanted to answer Yonghwa's call. She wanted to just say "I am sorry" but she knows if pick this up - all of the courage she earned for this day will melt down. She loves Yonghwa. She cares for this person. 

 

But loving and taking good care isn't enough for him to grow. 

 

This moment, their hearts are not yet enough to complete their lives. Shinhye wants to see him and herself to grow. 

 

In this time, she knows this is the best option.

This is the best for them.

 

 

"Nobody to lean on." She sighed. 

 

 

I am going to miss you.

 

Those words are the last piece of memory she have given to him. She will going to miss him, really bad. "Be a man, Jung Yonghwa." Then she buried her face on her pillow. 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                  ***

 

 

 

Graduation ball. 

This is the very last night of them being together. The last night where what they have known their everything ends and a new book will come alive. 

 

"Where's Shinhye?" Minhyuk asked Yuri. "I haven't seen her today." 

 

Yuri just smiled. "Kang Minhyuk, did you not know my friend's manner?" 

 

Minhyuk stopped. "She's not going?"

 

 She responded a nod. 

 

 "But," he said in despair.

 

 "Yonghwa is waiting?" Yuri calmly asked.

 

 

"Yes."

 

 

Yuri bit her lip. "I'm sorry to say but - if you don't want to see your friend to be hurt. Tell him Shinhye's not going here."

 

 

Minhyuk dialed Shinhye's number but Yuri stopped him. "That will not do."

 

 

"Damn!" Minhyuk shouted. "Will she ever change?!"

 

 

"Minhyuk, you should know by now how she thinks and acts." Yuri explained. "Let's just wish all the best in the coming years. If ever there's going to be more of their story." She smiled and left Minhyuk hanging.

  

 

I am going to miss you.

 

 

Yonghwa smirked. So this is it? This is the end of it? 

 

"Unfair." You didn't even see me here, when I have already said I have a surprise for you. The funny thing was I am the one who's been surprised. His left hand had a little box. He's been saving up this night to give the ring to her. 

 

 

He has been imagining something wonderful for this night. He has been murmuring silly nothings. But he ended up joking himself around - still believing that Shinhye will appear and save the day. 

  

"Jung Yonghwa, let's just go home and drink." Minhyuk dragged Jungshin and Jonghyun. 

 

 

"Give me an hour more. Until that I will give up." Yonghwa weakly said. "Just one hour more."

 

 

Jungshin tapped his head. "Man, even if you wait a day more she will not rescue you. Yuri just -" 

 

 

"Just let me do this. Please." Yonghwa cried.

 

Jonghyun stopped Minhyuk and Jungshin. "Come on guys. We have to trust Yonghwa. He knows what he us doing." He smiled at Yonghwa. "Don't ever forget we are just here. You know the reason why she has done this. I know it hurts now but I'm pretty sure this will give you good credit in the future." He tapped his back.

 

 

 

"Thanks." Yonghwa put a little smile. Then he put the ring box on his tux.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

Our story.

From the time when I accidentally meets you and realized what I have been lacking until you.

From the time when I am complete over my head then realized you are the only true.

 

Up to the point when your feelings matter more than mine.

Up to the that extent when your happiness is also my happiness.

 

 

Until that moment your principles are my principles too.

Until that time when I only see you. 

But that time when I only want to see you, myself was like a bubble that popped and became lost.

 

 

Our story.

Ended like a poem that nobody has heard.

Ended like flowers dried up in summer.

 

 

 

That's our story goes.

Cherished yet still longing.