chapter i

Our Story (우리의 이야기)

2005 Orientation for Freshmen

 

New faces, new smiles, new people.

 

Everything for her is new.

She liked it – a lot. Being a high school student was long gone and having a chance to take another step for a higher stair will lead to change.

 

For her, change isn’t earn midnight.

Change – is like a miracle.

Miracle is love.

 

And love makes every change for the best.

 

 

 

 

 

“Excuse me,” a tall freshman asked her, “is this seat next to you available?”

She nodded. “You can sit.”

“Thank you.”

 

“Shin!” A girl shouted.

She raised her hand, indicating that she acknowledge the girl’s call.

“That’s my sit!” The girl replied.

“The guy was early about a minute before you to arrive.” She scratched her left ear, as the guy beside her remained silent. “But,” she stopped and smiled at the guy in front of her. “If you are a true gentleman, you will give your sit to my friend.”

“Shin!” The girl called with embarrassment.

The guy said, “I was going to do that, anyway.” Then he stood up.

 

“I’m so sorry about my friend, she’s a bit – you know, kind of weird.” Her friend said.

“Yuri, if you are going to say bad about me, please don’t let me hear it.” Shin giggled. “And for the fact, I am really a weirdo.”

“Nice to meet you, Yuri and Shin?” The guy smiled.

“Your eyes nearly disappeared when you smiled.” Shinhye said.

“Park Shinhye, stop with that attitude. It’s the first day of college and you are throwing that attitude.” Yuri hissed.

 

She sighed a little obvious, “revealing my nasty attitude won’t hurt anybody–

“I’m sorry to bother your transparent mind but you are really cute,” he said, while stopping her from saying what’s on her mind. “By the way, I am Minhyuk. Kang Minhyuk.” He extended his hand.

“Nice to meet you, I’m Yuri.” Yuri shook his hand. “Park Shinhye, would you mind to greet our new friend?”

“Huh?” Shinhye sarcastically replied. “What’s the use of saying MY name when you already spilled it?”

“Nice to meet you, Shinhye.” Instead of shaking hands, Minhyuk purposely ruffled Shin’s hair. “Thanks for the sit.” He smiled. “Yuri, you can sit here now. It’s too boring here.”

 

“Thanks Minhyuk, see you around!” Yuri replied. She waved her hand until she was sure that Minhyuk was gone.

“Yuri, stop being so friendly with boys. I promise I wouldn’t be with you when you whine because of a darn heartache.” Shinhye  - like a mother scolded Yuri.

Yuri pouted, “Then you should be more friendly with boys. Stop torturing them as if boys are like kids that you bully.”

“I am.”

“You are not.”

“I am.”

Yuri sighed. “Ok! I won’t argue.”

Shinhye smiled. “Thanks.”

“But I think everything will change today.” Yuri smirked.

***

 

“Kang Minhyuk, where have you’ve been?” Jung Yonghwa’s face was irritated. He inserted his hand on the pocket with cigars.

“Jung Yonghwa, you said you wouldn’t take cigarettes now. You are such a liar.” Minhyuk pulled the pack and throw. “Stop with this nonsense, bro.”

“That cost a lot.” Yonghwa said.

“Your medication will cause a lot if you don’t stop it.”

Yonghwa bursted in laugh, “damn Minhyuk, I am going to light it.”

“Don’t make me a fool, Yonghwa.”

“I am serious. See?” He made sure that no lighter was in his both pockets. “I am serious, Minhyuk. Believe me.”

“I stay with what you said, Yonghwa.” He knocked his head. “I’m going now, see you tomorrow.”

“Haha! So you will meet Yejin now?” Yonghwa smiled like a hasty man. “Don’t make her so tired.” He winked.

“, I am not like you.” Minhyuk eyed Yonghwa.

“Ok, I get it. We are the best buddies – you are the angel and I’m the demon.” Yonghwa took a small step. “Going now.”

“Where are you going?!” Minhyuk shouted.

“Going to meet my Yejin too!” He joked. “As if I have!” That’s how he is – always the antagonist of the story. Jung Yonghwa – always the bad influence – always the person who would take all the blame, since he’s the bad one.

 

And he liked it – a lot.

 

***

 

“What’s the flavor did that small lady ordered?” Yonghwa asked the barista. He was so bored – he said to Minhyuk that he’ll meet his Yejin too but the hell – he doesn’t have good relationship. He has girls – but even one of them never entered his heart. If ever he has one, sometimes he doubt himself if he had one.

“Dark mocha frappe, Sir.”

“OK, I will order that too,” he sighed. “Since I don’t know the coffees.”

 

“Dark mocha frappe for Miss Shinhye!” The other barista said.

 

“So the small lady’s name is Shinhye.” Yonghwa whispered.

“Sir, I don’t think she is small.” The barista smiled.

‘Shinhye!” Yonghwa called out.

 

Shinhye roamed.

 

Yonghwa raised her hand. “Hello,”

“And who are you?”

Yonghwa get her drink and took a sip.

“What the hell did you just do? For heaven’s sake, I don’t even know you!”

 

“Good choice, Shinhye.” He said while sipping her drink.

“What?”

 

“Dark mocha frappe for Sir Yonghwa!” The barista said.

“Go get that drink. It’s the same.”

 

“Are you a bully?” Shinhye raised her left eyebrow. “I don’t buy. Try me, Yonghwa. I think you are underestimating me.” She gets her own drink in the hands of Yonghwa. “This is mine, you get your drink on the counter.”

“Seriously?” Yonghwa blurted.

“I think it’s more yummier.” Shinhye stuck her tongue out.

 

“Shinhye!” A man’s voice called her name.

“God.” She blurted.

 

Yonghwa was a bit fascinated with Shinhye. Girls really hate sharing straws – technically salivas with people they don’t even know. Her girls don’t like that, maybe except with kissing. “Why? Who’s that freak? Your boyfriend?”

“Dream on.” She said irritatedly.

 

Yonghwa found her hand and cling his to her. “I guess you want me to do it? I can act a very good show.” He winked.

“You are in the right situation of holding my hand.” Shinhye felt relieved. “FYI, I don’t know him – he’s basically a stalker.”

 

Yonghwa let go of his hand. “What the hell? A stalker??” He eyed Shinhye’s stalker. “Stay here and just drink this dark mocha frappes. Wait for me.”

“Where are you going?”
 

He replied with a smirk.

 

 

 

 

 

Thank you everybody for the warm welcome :)