chapter xviii

Our Story (우리의 이야기)

“Hi!” Yonghwa greeted Shinhye early in the morning. He waited for about an hour right in front of her house, having the fear that she might gone already.

“What’s so good in the morning? Your face seems happy.” Shinhye raised her left eyebrow.

Yonghwa held her hand tight. “Then why are you so conscious? Is there a problem?”

“Nope. I don’t.” Shinhye said safely. “Do we have one?”

“I bet no.” Then he swayed their hands acting cute in front of her. “Why are you so ill-mannered today?” He chuckled.

“Tch,  I am this bad, Yonghwa.” She defensively patted his hand. “I didn’t ask you to be here this early.”

Yonghwa placed his hand on Shinhye’s head. “Do I need permission if I badly want to see my girlfriend’s morning face?” Then he smiled so sweetly.

“You are so annoying.” She rolled her eyes.

Yonghwa was enjoying how Shinhye reacts on his acts. They are not both expert having somebody that’s really into seriousness.

 

“I don’t know, but just thinking of that hurts me. But one thing I know for sure – that I love myself enough to love her and make her in the safe place in the world in the end. I love myself enough that I am sure everything I love including her will follow to be happy.”

That moment, Yonghwa recalled what Jungshin has said last night. Do I need to say to Shinhye about the offer in Japan? But it is nonsense saying it coz I decided not to go. Do I? “Crap.” He blurted.

“What?!” Shinhye glared.

“No, it’s not you.” He smiled.

 

Shinhye stopped. She held Yonghwa’s hand, for the first time she wanted him to be calm. She knew the problem. She knew the things happening. “Tell me, do you have something to say?” She tried to smile.

“I love you..”

Shinhye was caught at those words.

“That’s what I wanted to say.” He smiled but eyes have meaning – something deep and warm. “All along.”

“We are graduating soon.” She mumbled. “What if I wanted to go somewhere really far? Will you let me go?” Shinhye saw his expression  - he was neither disappointed or sad.

“I don’t want to state the word ‘let go’ but I will send you off happily if that’s makes you happy. You have a very good future in front of you, Shinhye. More than anyone, I know that.” He smiled. The weird feeling now is that it is really okay to see Shinhye fly.

 

“What if you have the opportunity to do that? Will you go?” She asked.

“Leaving you here?”

“Maybe.”

“Then case closed. I will not go.” He smiled.

“Why?” Shinhye was confused, where is the bad mannered person Yonghwa? Maybe I just wanted to have that person that this one standing in front of her, saying words that making her uncomfortable.

“Because there’s nowhere I want to be if you are not there.” He slowly caged her in his broad shoulders. “I actually have a surprise.” Yonghwa giggled. “But you have to be patient until the graduation ball.”

“Surprise?” Shinhye patted his back.

“Hmm.”

“Will you not really go if that time happens?” Shinhye tears nearly breaking out. This person is too kind – too giving. And she doesn’t want that, because she doesn’t want to repeat what just happen to him and his Dad. He is not at fault when his parents separated, but he was the one who suffered – he was the one who is left behind.

“Don’t think about those crap. I will be right here. Always.” He caress her hair.

 

“Meet me at seven pm later. I will treat you to the best restaurant here.” Shinhye smiled.

“What a thoughtful woman I have.”

 

 

***

 

“He didn’t say anything to me.” She rested her head on Yuri’s shoulder. “I want to slowly make him understand but it seems that he has decided already.”

“Jungshin said that he has decided not to take it.” Yuri whispered. “I just hope you will break it off to him peacefully. Please don’t break his heart too much. Because I can’t that you are doing it.”

“Yuri, what do you want me to do? Letting him live like this? I want him to be the best he can be, without me. I want him to dream in his own. I don’t want us to be dependent to each other.”

“As expected from you, Park Shinhye.” Yuri tried to smile. “What will you do?”

“I will talk to him later.” Shinhye wiped her tears. “I don’t want him to be left behind anymore.”

“But you are leaving him.”

“I am not leaving him. He is leaving himself.” She held Yuri’s hand. “And I want to believe that this is a good reason.”

Yuri smiled. “Just lean on me when you feel like crying. You know I will support you on the things you want to believe in. And I think so too that this is the best option. Just don’t be so harsh on yourself.”

“I won’t. I promise.”

 

 

***

 

Yonghwa dressed so well for tonight. This is the first time that Shinhye invited him so a formal date. He really wanted to give her the ring but he promised himself to give it to graduation ball – which just two nights away.

“You look so handsome today, Jung Yonghwa.” Shinhye smiled.

Yonghwa unconsciously stood up, Shinhye is wearing a very beautiful blue dress. “You look so very elegant tonight. This is not the ball yet.”

“You’re so annoying.” She tapped his hand. “Let’s sit.”

“Yes, Blossom.” He winked.

“Kid.” She said in despair. “You never change.”

 

He giggled. “Why are we here? I believe it is not your birthday.”

“I just want to eat and see each other in good outfits.” She smiled. Maybe this will be the last dinner we will be having. Seeing you wearing handsome clothes making me want to see you grow more as a man. “Do you know what I want you to be?”

“To be your husband?” He laughed.

“NO!”

He pouted. “Okay, let’s be serious. I don’t know. Okay, what is your dream for me?”

Shinhye pointed at his hand. “I want this hand signing about the approvals of a company in the future. I want those eyes having the great sense of knowing what is the best yet those stars in your eyes will remain. Simply, I want you to be somebody that nobody has thought you will be – in a good way.

“That’s a pressure.”

“No it’s not. Because I know you can do it. You can do it alone.”

“Alone?” Right after he said that word, darkness begins to take place. Why didn’t he get it earlier? Shinhye knew the offer in Japan. He is damn sure. Shinhye laying all the cards and he must pick one. He must pick all alone. “Why just me alone? Can’t you be there?”

“I am not that selfish, Yonghwa. You know me enough.”

“Can you be selfish only for this time?” He wanted to cry in front of her. He want to beg.

“But if I will, this will make me regret everything.”

“Then you are leaving me? Alone? Like my Dad did to me? You saw that Shinhye, you saw how much I suffered. Then you are doing the same?!” He held her hand tight. “Please don’t.”

“Please don’t compare me with the feelings you have felt the last time someone left you behind. Because swear to God, I don’t want you to have that darkness again.” She smiled. “You are a good guy, and good guys fly away.” Shinhye stood up, but Yonghwa was faster and dragged her outside.

 

“Jung Yonghwa!”

“I love you.” He cried. “Was that not enough?”

“When our respective parents said those words, did they have a happy ending? Where are they now? Yonghwa, we know this cycle of life. We knew better than anyone else, so we should try to be more independent. We need to be more considerate. I know deep in you, you badly want to grab the opportunity. Even you have decided, I know there’s something else. We don’t need to jail ourselves just because we are afraid.”

“Can’t we just remain like this?”

“No we can’t.”

“Can’t I be with you?”

“You know my answer, Jung Yonghwa.” Shinhye kissed his left cheek.