chapter xii

Our Story (우리의 이야기)

“Sorry,” Minhyuk sincerely said to Shinhye while they are on their way to cafeteria. “I’ve been a jerk a while ago.”

Shinhye stopped from walking. “That’s fine, at least I can see they real Kang Minhyuk.” She smiled. “I am hungry, let’s walk faster.”

“I just don’t want you thinking that I am playing.” Minhyuk sighed. “I just want to tell you I am serious.”

“Hey,” she laughs. “Don’t you know that everybody is serious here? They simply just hide it.”

“I know. I know, Shinhye.”

 

“Woo, I can see Mojo..” She pointed at some direction. “I can see his ugly face from here.”

Minhyuk tapped her head. “You’re good.”

Shinhye eyed him. What this person trying to say? She replied a sigh perfectly complimented the shaking of her head.

 

“Going to eat guys?” Yonghwa caught his breath while he after saying.

“Yep.” Shinhye replied. Nothing else but a cold tone, normal tone. Once again, she is confused. Just yesterday, she was going all in for him but at one moment – everything was washed away. That one sacrifice that Jieun made is making her to think twice.

“Why Blossom so moody today? Because you are hungry?” Yonghwa teased. He is firm about winning Shinhye. There is such no thinking twice about this. Never. “Let’s go,” Yonghwa clung on her arm.

She responded quickly. “What on earth?” She knocked on Yonghwa’s head.

 

Minhyuk made a little sound. “Don’t forget that I am here. And I am hungry now.”

“Let’s go!” Yonghwa punched a bit on Minhyuk’s chest.

 

Shinhye smiled. These two boys are seriously kiddos. She thought in her mind.

 

***

 

“What is that in your finger?” Shinhye shouted at Yuri. “Don’t answer me ‘it is a ring’ because I am going to cut your hair.”

“It is a ring!” Yuri laughed while playing with her finger.

“If I ask you what it means I am asking a why, Yuri.” Shinhye replied, being a nosy sister-slash-bestfriend-mom again. “Are you collecting rings and will going to have a ring stand on the streets? Since high school the guys you dated gave you senseless rings but nothing succeeded. And now you are doing it again!”

“Hmf, what an old maid.” Yuri pouted cutely. “I know we have a promise that we will never get a ring unless we are in a church with a priest. But c’mon I already broke that rule for a thousand times now.” Yuri, trying to encourage Shinhye. “Jungshin and I reach our two hundred days already. It means we are already dating for nearly seven months!”

Shinhye sighed. So it has been that long? It has been that long when my feelings are bouncing back and forth already. “But still,” she said helplessly.

“Come on, Park Shinhye. What are you doing with your life? I know you are getting the highest scores but are you even happy with what’s happening?”

“What do you mean?”

Yuri sighed. “I am not going to ask you because I am sure that you like Jung Yonghwa.”

“What?” Shinhye defensively asked.

“Once again, I am not going to ask you if you like because I am sure that Minhyuk likes you.” Yuri said. “Life is simple, Shin – dump Minhyuk, date Yonghwa.” She bit her lip.

Shinhye looked seriously on Yuri. This girl in front of her is her best friend. She knows everything about her. She knows if I am scared, in love or angry. And now Yuri is hitting her emergency light. “That wasn’t simple.” She shook her head.

“It is.”

“It is not.” Choices wasn’t that simple, Yuri. You don’t understand, choices are not implied on mine. There are so much things and people underneath. There’s Jieun, Minhyuk, Yonghwa and me (the greatest enemy). “You don’t understand.”

“Because of Jieun? Because of the so called sacrifice she made? That’s completely .” Yuri, now being the nosy sister-slash-bestfriend-mom now. “Don’t you realized that it is not your fault? How’s her decision impacts you? Because it feels like you are snatching what hers?”

“Yuri,” Shinhye nearly cried.

“I am telling you. YOU ARE NOT. Did Yonghwa ever cared about Jieun’s decision? No right? It is Jieun’s decision. The time Yonghwa will say he cares about Jieun – I will stop bugging you.”

“What about M—

“Minhyuk?” Jieun answered. “Don’t you know what he knows that you like Yonghwa? That ended the story.”

Shinhye smirked. “Why it feels everything you say is as easy as one-two-three?”

“Because it is. I have been noticing all the things you are doing.”

“Seven months?” Shinhye laughs.

 

“But I understand you Shinhye. Why are you so conscious and not stretching your comfort zone. But I think now is the right time that you need to go back how you used to be when we are kids.” Yuri tears up, thinking how lovely and sweet Shinhye back then.

“That was an old story.”

“I know.” Yuri held her bestfriend’s hand. “And now it is your own story, make it the dream you wanted.”

“That’s the biggest challenge on every person living – making dreams into reality.” Shinhye smiled but her eyes are getting redder. “I don’t want to get back how I used to be after that, Yuri. So I made myself the strongest I can be. And you are the only one who knows this.”

“You can tell Yonghwa. He didn’t hesitate when you asked him what happen to his parents.” Yuri calmly said.

“I don’t want people recognizing me for pity.” Shinhye said.

“You are not. As you said, you are the strongest. Just let people understand you, not just you understanding them.” Yuri let Shinhye stand up. “Let’s go eat some ice cream.”

 

“Blossom!”

“Jung Yonghwa, you are doing the same scenario for quite some time now. I think I am going to memorize it by now.” Yuri sighed.

“Really?” Yonghwa asked like a kid. “Do I need to change it?”

Shinhye laughs and rolled her eyes.

“Shinhye wants some ice cream, Yonghwa. Go, treat her for a change.” Yuri winked at Shinhye. “Because I need to meet Jungshin.” She showed off her ring.

“Hey, Yuri!” Shinhye eyed her.

 

“Let’s go, I will treat you.” Yonghwa nearly stutter.

Shinhye looked at him and smiled beautifully. “I want mango flavored ice cream.”