A Game of Croquet

Block B in Wonderland

Jaehyo removed his arm from Sora’s grasp. “It’s been fun my dear, but I’m needed in the library”

Sora pouted “What for?”

“I have to find a particular book that’s only in the Queen’s library. Don’t worry you’ll be fine”

“Alright”

Jaehyo waved “Goodbye my dear, see you in a little while”

Sora looked around at all the people in the courtyard but couldn’t see the hatter anywhere. What do I do now? Then she spotted the buffet table. Might as well get something to eat.

The buffet table was filled with the strangest treats. There were snails, quail eggs, and oysters covering the table. I suddenly lost my appetite  

“Sora! There you are! The croquet game is about to start.” Ukwon called. He grabbed Sora’s arm “Everyone is ready to start” and he pulled her through the crowd past some of the hedges.

On the other side of the hedge there was a large green field covered with wickets and stakes.

“Where’s the Queen?” Sora asked.

“She should be coming, there is no way she’d miss a game” Ukwon claimed.

P.O stepped out in the middle of the crowd. “I now present our fair lady, the Queen of Hearts”

Everyone clapped and the queen stepped out onto the scene. She bowed “Pleased to meet you”

Wait a second…

The Queen had long black hair pulled up in a bun with a gold crown on her head. She wore an expensive red dress covered in hearts and she held a flamingo instead of a croquet mallet.

She looks like…

Ukwon waved a hand in Sora’s face “Yoohoo, Sora, what’s the matter?”

“She looks like my sister”

Ukwon looked at the Queen “I guess she just has one of those familiar faces”

Janet? Must not be, but she looks so much like her

P.O cleared his throat “Has everyone picked their teams?”

Ukwon grabbed Sora “Yep!”

The Queen lightly tapped P.O “P.O my dearest, would you like to be on my team?” her voice was light and soft, nothing like Janet’s.

“Why of course my lady”

“Alright then, let’s begin” The Queen took her first swing and scored four wickets. She straightened her back and looked satisfied.

aliceart2_D_20100304204231.jpg

The surrounding crowd clapped their hands and shouted things like “Brilliant as always my lady!”

Ukwon took off his suit jacket and handed it to Sora “Let’s do this thing” He took a swing and scored two wickets.

“Very good Ukwon” the Queen applauded.

Ukwon blushed.

P.O scored two wickets and hit a stake. “P.O, darling you never disappoint!” the Queen cheered.

Then it was Sora’s turn and nerves infiltrated her body. She looked at the flamingo in her hands. Sorry Mr.Famingo Then she hit the ball. It went through a total of four wickets and hit a stake.

Ukwon cheered “Woot woot! You go Sora!”

The Queen smiled “You are quite good” she walked over the ball and prepared her swing “but not good enough” When she hit it, it made five wickets.

The crowd cheered again. 

Ukwon patted Sora’s back “Don’t fret, I got this” He went and scored three wickets.

Then it was up to P.O he needed to score three wickets and hit one stake to win the game. He took a deep breath and took his shot. Unfortunately for him he only hit two wickets.

“That’s alright P.O” The Queen assured him.

Sora was next; she went and scored four wickets leaving them tied.

The Queen laughed “This has been a fun game but I’m afraid I’m going to win again this year” She was ready for her winning shot when she lost her balance and hit the ball. It bounced off a stake but didn’t have enough force to go through the last wicket.

The crowd gasped and the Queen laughed. “My nerves got the best of me I guess”

Ukwon woke up from his daze. “Did she just miss?”

Sora stood in front of him and grabbed his shoulders “Ukwon, this is the moment you have been waiting for. You can finally beat the Queen and win the prize!”

Ukwon shook his head “I can’t”

“Yes you can, I believe in you!” and she gave him a quick peck on the cheek.

Ukwon blushed bright red. “I can do this!”

He walked over to ball and hit it.

The crowd silenced. The ball went in two wickets and hit a stake.

The Queen clapped and the audience started clapping as well.

Sora squealed “You did it Ukwon!”

“I did, didn’t I? I think I deserve another kiss” He held out his cheek and Sora flicked his forehead.  “Hey!”

The Queen stepped forward “My Champions! You deserve this prize” and she handed them a small chest.

Ukwon took the chest and bowed “Thank you”

“Open it” Sora whispered “I’m dying to know what it is and I’m sure everyone else is too”

He looked around at everyone’s eager eyes. “Alright then” he slowly opened the box with Sora peering over his shoulder. Inside contained a bottle with a drink me tag.

It’s the shrinking stuff from before...

“It’s called Pishsalverlol, It makes you grow smaller when you drink it, must not drink too much though” The Queen smiled “Use it well”

Ukwon bowed and thanked the Queen.

“Now everyone shall we go back and enjoy the party?” The Queen yelled.

The crowd cheered and followed her to the ballroom.

“So what are you going to do with it?” Sora asked Ukwon.

“Don’t know, why would anyone need to be smaller?” Ukwon closed the chest and walked towards the ballroom. “Aren’t you coming?”

Sora nodded and followed him.