Six

Thoughts That Were

It had only been on week, but the days seemed to have dragged on endlessly. My mom did everything she could to support Jini and I. Since I was back at my mom’s house, Yongguk’s mom was right next door so she came and visited me every time she had the chance. 

 

Jini was slowly starting to miss Yongguk and kept asking when we could go home. She kept asking when Yongguk would come pick us up. I was wondering the same thing. When was Yongguk going to come over and tell me that he had decided? When was he going to tell me that it was over?

 

All I wanted was for him to come straight out and tell me that he no longer loved me and hand me the divorce papers. Only then will I accept it and move on in life. Not like now, I had false hope. Holding onto that tiny strand of hope that he wouldn’t go through with the divorce so he could fix things with me. 

_______________ 

 

I stepped out of the coffee shop and breathed in the air of the night. For once, I was at ease. I wasn’t stressed or upset, I was just neutral. Since I had told myself that my life was for Jini now, there wasn’t anyone that could matter more to me than Jini. So I had to ignore everything else and focus solely on Jini. 

 

I unlocked my car and was about to step in when I heard someone call out loudly in the night. 

 

“Hey!” 

 

I froze for a bit but turned around only to see a woman getting out of her car. I narrowed my eyes only to realize that it was Kimhan. I rolled my eyes and folded my arms across my chest as she approached me confidently, only to slap me across the face as soon as she was in front of me. 

 

“What are you doing?” I asked, hands clutching my face instinctively.”Don’t you dare touch me.” 

 

“Yeah?” Kimhan scoffed. “Since when did a tramp like you have the guts to tell me what to do? Now tell me where Yongguk is.” 

 

“What?” I asked “How should I know? I’ve signed the papers. We’re not together anymore.”

I turned around to get into my car when Kimhan grabbed my wrist, digging her nails into my skin. I winced and shook my hand out of her grip. I told myself that she wasn’t worth it. She only wanted a reaction out of me and I wasn’t going to give it to her. I’m not going to give her that sick satisfaction.

 

“Why isn’t Yongguk answering my calls?” she asked. “He’s been avoiding me. You made him do this, didn’t you?”

 

“He’s yours now. You’ve won. Why won’t you two leave me alone and let me live my life?” I raised my voice. “What will it take for you to leave me alone?” 

 

Kimhan smirked and let out a sarcastic sigh. 

 

“I hate you, as much as you hate me.” she folded her arms in front of her chest. “But you’ll be seeing me right up until I can have Yongguk. Right up until I marry him.” 

 

My jaw tightened at the thought. At the thought of Yongguk getting married to another woman. Let alone getting married to a woman as venomous and vicious as Kimhan. She seemed to have realized my negative reaction and let out a quiet laugh. 

 

“I don’t know where Yongguk is,” I cleared my throat. “So please stop disturbing me. I’ll also have you know that I have no interest in both of your personal lives so please stop trying to find me.” 

 

I held my head up while giving her a small smile, telling her that I wasn’t going to break in front of her and opened my car door, only to hear footsteps approach me and have my door being slammed shut. 

 

“Why do you always want to be the hero? Always taking the high road. No one’s here, you don’t have to put on a show. Show me how you really feel!” Kimhan raised her voice. “Scream at me! Hit me! I dare you!” 

 

“Are you crazy?” I said. “Let me go home. I’ll scream and people will come out. Leave me alone and save yourself the embarrassment.”

 

Out of no where I was slapped across the face again. I bit the inside of my cheek and stared at Kimhan unfazed only to see her raise her hand again. That was the last straw, that time I caught her wrist and twisted it. I breathed in, hearing her yelp and pulling her arms behind her back. 

 

“I didn’t want to do this.” I whispered. “But you forced me.”

 

With a heave, I pushed her forward, leaving her tumbling forward, cradling the arm I had twisted. Pushing her far away I quickly got into my car and locked the doors, incase she wants another go at me. Just as I was about to start my car I heard someone call out and I whipped my head to the direction. 

 

“Babe!” 

 

Yongguk stood there shocked, in front of his car. I closed my eyes and sighed frustratedly before starting my car. I drove past them as Yongguk was running towards Kimhan and gripped tightly onto the steering wheel. As I drove home, I panted out of anger and devastation but no matter how hard I tried to calm down, I couldn’t. 

 

I ended up stopping at a red light only to let out a frustrated yell and repeatedly using my hand to hit the steering wheel. Car honked behind me when I hadn’t yet driven after the lights turned green but I didn’t care. Cars drove past me, looking into my car, giving me looks of disapproval and annoyance. I drove short moments later, only to then pull over to the side of the road because I couldn’t take it. 

 

Panting after the rage, my breath came out harsh and I gave up, leaning my forehead into the steering wheel and cried. I breathed in only to exhale harshly while wailing loudly to relieve myself from the aching pain in my chest. Crying aloud must have done the trick because minutes later, I was just staring outside blankly, too numb to even feel. 

 

Arriving home, I stepped inside the house and was greeted by darkness. Everyone had gone to bed and I was the only one awake. I dropped my bag on the couch roughly before clutching onto my phone and staggering up the stairs tiredly. 

 

I lay down in bed and brought Jini small body into my arms. Smelling her hair, I closed my eyes at her innocent smell of strawberry shampoo. I closed my eyes and knew that I wouldn’t be able to sleep but I tried anyway. Not sure of how long had past by, I suddenly got a text message. 

 

“I’m outside your house, please come out.” 

 

It was from Yongguk. I tightened my jaw at the fact that he had enough nerves to come see me after what had just happened. I had not felt something so close to hate towards Yongguk before. I bit my lip and debated whether or not to text back. 

 

“No. Please leave me alone.” I texted back in the end. 

 

“Please. I’ve brought the papers.” He replied moments later. 

 

My heart sank and I bit my lip to stop myself from crying. After seeing me push Kimhan, he’s decided that I was a terrible person and wanted to end things with me. End things between us to save his damsel in distress. I knew that it was going to happen one way or another so I told myself not to be sad. 

 

I slipped out of bed and threw on a sweater, walking downstairs quietly. With each footstep, my heart twisted, hoping that everything was a dream and I’d wake up, to be with my Yongguk again. No matter how much I tried I couldn’t wake up from the horrible nightmare. I was living my nightmare. 

 

“Hey.” I heard as I opened the door.

 

Yongguk stood in front of me, looking at me pitifully, with documents in his hand.

“What will it take for you two to leave me alone?” I asked. “Haven’t I suffered enough? You’ve won. Please just leave me and my daughter alone.” 

 

He came towards me, arm outreached like he was about to grab my hand but I just snapped. 

 

“No.” I said. “Leave me alone. Please.”

 

I walked up to him and beat his broad chest with my fists. I wanted to hate him and I wanted to say all types of things to him but I couldn’t bring myself to. It was so unfair. 

 

“Please, please, please, just leave me alone.” I cried. 

 

Yongguk suddenly pulled my into his arms, leaving my hands trapped against his chest. I tried to struggle out of his grip but couldn’t. I missed him so much. 

 

“I remember.” He whispered.