chapter seven

The Book

 


“Your name in my book? It doesn’t exist.”

Miyeon look at Sehun and furrowed her brows. “What do you mean it doesn’t exist?”

Then there was a period of silence broken by the sound of Sehun’s nervous laughter. “I’m kidding.” He chuckled. “My book says that we’re friends.” He said. He looked around and tried to think of a new topic to talk about, anything but the book.

Thankfully he was saved when Miyeon’s phone went off.

She stood up and held her phone in her hands. “It’s my mom.” She whispered. “Can I…”

Sehun nodded. “Of course.”

 

He watched as she walked off to a corner of the park. Sehun scratched his head and dug into his pocket; he took the book out again and fumbled with it as he flipped through the pages.

It was true; Miyeon’s name never existed in his book. He remembered how surprised he was when he first met her at the bubble tea shop.

 

He remembered standing by the front nervously as he waited for the customers to come in. Sehun looked in his book that morning and studied it a bit.

He learned that his first customer’s name would be Mi Rae and that she would order two coffee milk teas.

He learned that a man named Jimin would come in with his little sister; Sehun knew that the little girl wanted a strawberry slush; he even drew a strawberry on the cup for her.

Sehun knew of most of his customers until Miyeon came in. He knew who Jongin was but the book said nothing about Miyeon; he was a bit shaken up when he saw her step in. His mind went through a million names as he tried to remember who she was but nothing came to mind.

 

He recalled pacing back and forth in the bathroom during his break as he flipped through the book. Sehun had remembered her name clearly, it was Miyeon and he had written it on her cup when she absentmindedly ordered oolong tea.

Her name was nonexistent and up until now, it still didn’t appear.

 

Sehun’s grandmother was in Busan; she owned a farm with his grandfather and was also the one who handed him the book at his 15th birthday celebration.

 

Sehun put the book away when he heard Miyeon’s footsteps; he made a mental note to call his grandmother before things got out of hand.

 

“Y-Yep…it says friend in there.” Sehun smiled nervously. “What did your mother say?”

“She just told me to stay in the house with Luhan. She wanted me to catch up on my sleep and relax a bit for the time being…” Miyeon said.

“Luhan?”

“He’s my best friend.”

“Ah…the one who’s pushing you to find a career?”

Miyeon laughed and nodded. “Yeah. But I guess him being persistent sort of helped.  I never thought I’d say this but I came to find physics really interesting. I hated it in high school but the professor I met makes it fun to learn.”

“Why not become a professor? Professor Song? It sounds nice.”

Miyeon nodded. “I’m thinking about it…I just never thought I’d become a teacher or something like that…”

Sehun nodded. “Give it some time….it’ll just come to you one day, I promise.” He turned to her. “Who gave you your book?”

“My grandmother gave it to me… She said it was a diary, a place to write my thoughts in. I could’ve sworn that I’ve seen the same book sitting on one of her bookshelves…” Miyeon said.

“Maybe she was the chosen one in her generation.” Sehun reminded her. “You never know.”

“A-Ah...That makes sense.” She smiled at the ground and kicked the bits of snow around. “She passed away when I was 17…and it’s such a pity because I only started paying attention to the book at 17… Now I won’t know who to ask when I have questions about it.”

Sehun sat there in silence as Kun rested on his lap. “My grandmother gave me my book too.” He said softly. “We only see each other in the summer…but if anything, we could always try and go to her.” He looked at her and flashed a reassuring smile. “I don’t think anything would go wrong anyway.”

Miyeon shrugged. “Oh I don’t know about that…Have you ever tried to change someone’s fate? What if their position in the book didn’t match up with reality? What would happen then? Everything would shift.”

“Well you’ll just have to hope that destiny is in your favor and that everything changes for the better. And besides, how badly can it change anyway?”

 

They talked for a few more hours before snow started to fall. Sehun stood up with Kun in his arms and reached out to help Miyeon up.

“It’s getting really late; we should go…you’re not wearing enough clothes for us to stay out any longer. It’s supposed to blizzard tomorrow morning.”

Miyeon looked up at the sky. “First snow of the winter.” She said. “It’s pretty.”

Sehun laughed. “And really freaking cold.” He slung his arm over her shoulder and walked her out of the park. “Come on, I’ll walk you home before you get frost bites, Song Miyeon.”

He stopped halfway and put Kun down on the ground. The little dog jumped around in the snow and barked a few times as Sehun took his scarf off.

He wrapped it around Miyeon and pushed her hair out of her eyes. “Aw man, I feel like you’re going to be sick.” He mumbled. “Your cheeks are so cold.”

Miyeon shrugged it off. She held onto the ends of his scarf. “Sehun…what about you?”

He touched her hands and raised his eyebrows to see how cold they were. “Are you in a position to be talking about me? You feel like the inside of a freezer…” He grabbed one of her hands and stuffed it in his pocket before grabbing Kun’s leash.

“We gotta run, Miyeon.”

 

Jongin stood across the street in the snow, his hand dropped to the side as he realized why Miyeon didn’t pick up her phone.

She was with someone who made her so happy so effortlessly while he just stood there and watched it all. 


[a/n]: First update of 2015 hell yeah! 
comments are much appreciated! 

Sorry Jongin lol