chapter three

The Book

I press my lips into a firm line as Sehun stares at me from behind the counter, and then he tilts his head and smiles a little. “Welcome to Bubbles.” He says quietly, I could tell he's nervous.

Jongin nudges me and smiles. “Told you.”

 

Jongin immediately knows something is wrong, he questions me the moment we sit down. “Song Miyeon.” He says. Then he looks up at me with a serious expression, but I can’t take him seriously because he looks so cute.

“Hm?”

“Is everything alright?”

I nod. “Why…wouldn’t it be?”

And being the overly concerned boyfriend he is, he furrows his brows and frowns as he shakes his head. “Miyeon…I know something is wrong, what’s bothering you? You ordered oolong tea…you said you hate oolong.” He said softly. “You can’t even stand the smell of it.”

I wrinkle my nose as I look down at my cup of tea. I could see Sehun’s messy handwriting.

Oolong tea with bubbles – Miyeon

“Oh.” I say.

Jongin sighs as he pushes his drink towards me. He takes a sip of my oolong tea. “Miyeon…you’ve been kinda weird lately, is everything okay? You’re hiding something from me…” He says.

I chuckle and shake my head. Sticking the straw into the cup, I take a sip and manage to smile, reassuring him that I’m fine. “I’m okay…really, maybe it’s because classes start in two weeks.” I say. “We’re moving out…for college, hasn’t that hit you already? I’m going to miss being home.”

“Ah…You could’ve just said so. We could always visit during breaks and the weekends; it’s not too far from home anyway. Why don’t we go and check out our place after? We’re moving in next week anyway.”

 

We leave the busy shop and head for our apartment, it’s in the middle of the city and it’s just two blocks away from our university. Jongin is pursuing a degree in chemistry, as for me, nothing’s decided yet. I’m a bit lenient about choosing careers because I don’t want to make the wrong choice. I don’t want to wake up one morning when I’m forty just to realize that I’ve spent my life doing something I hate because I was pressured to chose a career at such a young age.

 

Jongin holds my hand and pulls me into the apartment; most of our stuff is in there already in boxes. Our rooms are set up, it’s just that the walls are bare and the shelves are empty. I look around and sigh, because this will be our home for the next four years.

It doesn’t feel right, I wish I could tell Jongin straight up that it didn’t feel right; being together, being in love, the thought of getting married, none of it felt right to me.

Even if the book claimed him as my soul mate, I didn’t agree.

 

The next day, Luhan comes over again and he could tell that I’m stressed out and all over the place.

“Miyeon, you’re acting weird again.” Luhan comments as he sits on my bed, He opens up my Macbook and points. “Oh…Look…Oh Sehun sent you a friend request. Should I accept?”

“Luhan don’t-“

“Too late.”

I sighed. “Dammit.”

“What’s wrong with adding him? You saw each other twice, y’all are basically acquaintances.” Luhan chuckled. “Why can’t you guys be friends?”

“Because I don’t see him as a friend.” I said.

“Huh?”

I sat down. “He’s still a stranger to me.”

“What did your book say?”

“Friends.”

Luhan snaps his fingers. “Exactly.” He grins. “You guys will probably meet again soon and become friends with each other, and that’s how it’s going to go.” He says.

“Jongin is supposedly my soul mate.” I said. “But…”

“But? Come on…you guys like each other, let’s keep it that way.” Luhan says.

“I don’t think…I’m in love with Jongin, Luhan, maybe it’s all an illusion. Maybe it’s because he sweet talks, maybe it’s his kisses and hugs that make me think I like him.”

“Stop being so delusional, you’re over thinking way too much.” Luhan says.

I lay down on my stomach and bury my face in the sheets.

“Why don’t we think about something else? Hm? Like your major; school starts pretty soon and you still don’t know what you want to be, college Miyeon, after college is the real world. We don’t have that long to decide.”

“Four years is a long time!”

Luhan shakes his head. “Trust me; those four years are going to fly by fast.”

“Should I take the easy way out and be a teacher?”

He frowned. “But you hate kids.”

I groan. “Right… How about a doctor?”

“Miyeon, you hate going to the doctors, how are you going to sit in a doctor’s office all day?”

“A surgeon?”

“You can’t even prick a juice box open, I don’t think it’s safe for you to cut someone open.”

I sit up. “Luhan, can we please talk about something else?”

“Fine, take a couple courses and see what you like…okay?”

I shake my head. “About Sehun, can we talk about Sehun?”

“What’s so special about him?”

“I…I get this weird feeling when I see him, and it’s not because I like him. I feel like he plays a major role in my life, but not as a friend.”

“Miyeon, you know what? Just…go for a walk, go and clear your mind.” Luhan said. He grabbed my hand and pulled me up. Pulling his sweater over me, he pulled my hair into a pony tail and patted my back. “Come on, just go for a walk and clear your mind. You’re stressed out over your future, and you’ve been over thinking a little too much lately, so go and clear your mind.”

I sigh and grab my phone. “I guess.”

 

I find myself walking around the park by my house twenty minutes later; I envy those carefree kids that have nothing to worry about. I envy those parents whose lives are perfect right now; I envy those grandmas who can stay home all day and watch their grandchildren grow. They don’t have much to worry about, their lives are stable and they are so happy.

 

Throughout my little stroll, Oh Sehun is the only person I could think about.

 

Oh Sehun, the stranger who’s eyes captivated me during the last few minutes of prom.

Oh Sehun, the stranger who wrote my name so nicely on my cup of tea.

Oh Sehun, the stranger who I see over and over again.

 

I stop when a little dog runs up to me; its tiny paws reach up to my knees as it barks.

I squat down and pat it. “Are you lost?” I ask softly.

Then I hear a voice. “Kun? Kun-ah! Kun-ah!”

 

I stand up and look around, and that’s when I realized that it was the first time I heard Sehun’s voice clearly.

 

Because by chance, Oh Sehun, the stranger whom I longed to see, is standing just a few feet away from me. 

 


[a/n] comments are much appreciated! 

Third time's the charm, isn't it? lol