chapter two

The Book

Luhan’s perfect, he has a sharp jaw line, his hair’s always so perfectly tousled and his body looks like it could be on the front of the Calvin Klein ad, he’s so sweet and caring…There’s nothing I could ever say about Luhan that wasn’t positive.

Even if I gush over Luhan, I could never see myself with him because he’s my best friend. He’s the person I trust the most in the world, my parents were absent most of the time during my childhood because they worked crazy hours every day.

When I got bullied in elementary school, it was Luhan who stood up for me.

When I got sick, it was Luhan who came over to look after me.

When I got my heart broken, it was Luhan who comforted me.

 

It was always Luhan.

 

When I failed a test, it was Luhan who was there to reassure me that the next test grade would be better.

When I lost a family member, it was Luhan who was there to tell me he would never leave me.

When I got scolded by my parents who had a tough day at work, it was Luhan who was there to tell me how much he loved me and how important I was to him.

 

It was always Luhan.

 

I can’t imagine a life where he doesn’t exist, it would kill me if one day, he just disappeared. Between heart break and losing your best friend, I think losing your best friend would hurt more.

 

“What’s wrong?” Luhan takes a seat next to me and hands me a drink.

I set it down onto the table next to me, it’s been about two months since prom, two months since Jongin and I began going out.

We’re alone at Luhan’s house, my parents are out of town and they sent me here; how typical. His parents are at work while his granny is having the time of her life at her retirement home.

I turn to him, and he knows I’m about to cry, I’m confused about something and life’s a mess right now. Balancing a social life, good grades, a relationship, a part time job and sleep is harder than I thought.

“Miyeon…” Luhan says softly. He pulls me into his arms and I rest my head in the crook of his shoulder. “Why are you holding things in? Just cry…Dammit.” He mumbles softly.

So I do, I cry into his shoulder and hold him tightly while he pats my back and whisper “Everything will be okay, just cry.”

 

He pushes me away a while and holds my face. “Talk to me.” Luhan says. “Something’s wrong.”

I shake my head and turn away. “I just needed to cry.”

“Miyeon, you know damn well that every time you cry, it’s because something’s wrong. Look at me…”

I glance at him before looking down at my feet. “Let’s watch a movie.”

“It’s Jongin, isn’t it?”

I hate how Luhan can read me like an open book.

“Kim Jongin…” Luhan said as he gritted his teeth.

“Luhan…stop, it’s not just him.” I say softly. And it’s true, my boyfriend isn’t just the problem, there’s another man named Sehun and he’s driving me crazy.

“T-There’s another guy?” Luhan asks. “Miyeon…”

“I’m not two timing…I…I’m just confused…and frustrated.”

“The book.” Luhan says. “It’s the book isn’t it?”

I stare at him briefly before running my hands through my hair.

“I know you’re the chosen one Miyeon, just like how my cousin is…you’re the chosen one, I’ve seen you reading a blank book one too many times.”

“It’s the stupid book alright.” I mumble.

“Don’t worry about it, you’re just getting paranoid. Jongin likes you and you like him too.” Luhan says. “You just need to remind yourself, don’t base your life on a book alright? I don’t even know why you pay attention to that thing, what’s the point of life if you already know everyone you’re going to meet? Brings no excitement when you wake up every morning, you already know all the strangers and what not.”

“I just want to see if the book is accurate or not, and in this case it isn’t.”

Luhan raises an eyebrow. “Why wouldn’t it be accurate? They’re supposed to be accurate.”

“It says Jongin is my soul mate.” I say. “But is he really?”

“Who’s the other guy?”

I dig into my bag and pull out the book, although Luhan sees a blank page, I see a bunch of names instead.

I flip to the page where Jongin’s and Sehun’s name is at. Jongin’s name used to be printed on the top left corner of the page in dark black ink. Boyfriend/Husband, it used to say.

Sehun’s name rested three lines under it, and it simply said Friend…or so it used to.

Now both their names are faded, unlike the others, their names are grey and the space where it used to say their role in my life is now blank. It looks like it could be written in pencil which could be erased, because their role in my life isn’t definite and might change.

 

“Oh Sehun.” I say softly. “Friend.”

“I took robotics with him in year two, he’s a great guy…but do you know him?”

I shake my head. “The first and last time I’ve ever seen him was at prom, a couple minutes before the night ended. We just locked eyes and…ever since, I’ve been thinking about him. I don’t even know him, and he could be a complete .”

“Well…yeah, if you say so.” Luhan chuckles. “Don’t base your life on a book supposedly tells your life story or whatever, you read that thing religiously and…why don’t you just put it away? For a couple of days, you’ll go back to normal if you didn’t look at it so much.”

He takes the book from me and closes it. “Miyeon, listen to me…you know I’m always right.”

 

Luhan is always right.

 

I sigh in defeat and nod. “Alright...a break won’t kill me I guess.”

Just then, Jongin’s name lights up on my phone screen. I look over at Luhan with a sheepish smile and he laughs.

Standing up, he grabs his laptop and walks into his room. “Answer it.” He says.

 

Before I know, I’m walking down the street hand in hand with Jongin. My worries seem to disappear and I’m laughing again.

He compliments me and says “That lipstick color looks beautiful on you.” Then he grins. “Wouldn’t it if I messed it up?” Jongin says before kissing me.

I laugh when I see the pink stain transferred onto his lips. “Where are we going?”

“Classes start again in two weeks; we might as well go on a few dates before we get hit with outlines and assignments again. Your favorite bubble tea place opened up here, now we don’t have to go all the way to Busan for it.” Jongin smiles. “It’s right there.”

 

The smile on my face disappears when I walk into the shop, because Sehun is standing there behind the counter staring at me. 


[a/n]: *heavy breathing* 

comments are much appreciated! ^^ Anyone else who would like Luhan as their bestfriend? ;)