chapter one

The Book

 I’m not your average eighteen year old, I’m not your average senior in high school, and I’m not like any of the other girls in my class…

I’m different from all the others, my name is Miyeon and I already know about all the people I’m going to meet in my life.

Every single one of them.

 

Even the strangers I’ll meet once, I know about them too. It happened when I turned fifteen, my grandmother handed me a book…She told me it was a diary but I didn’t see it as a place to write my thoughts in.

Every family has a chosen one, and I’m that person. While everyone in my family saw the blank pages, I saw the dozens of profiles on every single page. I put it away in a shelf until my seventeenth birthday; it was only out of curiosity that day when I wondered who I would meet. Maybe a stranger would greet me and wish me a good day or that barista at that coffee shop would know and even write me a cute message on my coffee cup. I was reluctant to look at it but at the same time, I wondered if the book was accurate.

I thought it was ridiculous, how could there be a book of every single soul I was going to encounter? How was it going to fit all in one book?

I only learned that one’s profile would disappear once I met them, when I turned seventeen, that’s when I started to notice all the missing profiles; that’s when I started paying attention to the book. At first I thought something had happened to them, but the truth was that I met them and accepted their role into my life, their place in my book disappears.

Some people didn’t really stand out to me, for example, there was this lady I was supposed to meet at a library.

I was sent there one day by my older brother to help find an encyclopedia, I was worried at first that I wouldn’t be able to find it but my book told me I would meet a woman named Yun Haesoo who would help me.

I came home that day to see that her place in my book was taken up by someone else.

I never really paid attention to her name, but there were some people in my book that stood out to me.

 

According to my book, Kim Jongin, from my calculus class would be the person I end up falling in love with. I had figured that he had a thing for me; he always asked if I had trouble with the class work and offered to tutor me if I needed any help. He asked me to prom and I had ended up saying yes, and I only said yes because I wanted to know, if Jongin was my soul mate then when would I fall in love with him? Would I fall for him during prom? Maybe he would kiss me or something, or do something that would make me believe that he’s the one.

 

According to my book, Luhan was supposedly my best friend. I realized that he was half way through my senior year in high school and that’s when his place in my book disappeared. He has always been there for me, being that he lived in the same neighborhood as me, we often hung out and he always took care of me. He was always there to listen to my problems and was always there when I was sick; I wondered if Luhan knew how grateful I was to have someone like him.

 

And I was right; I believe prom night was the night that I would fall for Kim Jongin. He wore a three piece tux that day and had his black hair pushed back. He picked me up at seven and said I was beautiful even if I wasn’t too comfortable in my tight red dress. He said our colors complimented each other and that we would win prom king and queen. We did.

I remember blushing at that moment, even if it was just a month ago; I remember how hard I blushed.

He made me laugh so much on the ride there, Jongin was aware that I was worried that my makeup would smudge but he reassured me that I looked pretty no matter what.

I think I caught myself in a state of euphoria because of him, he made me so happy and I was able to be myself with him. Because we weren’t discussing calculus problems, we were able to talk about other things.

I remember how he held me close on the dance floor; Jongin rocked me side to side and casually asked “Miyeon…Song Miyeon… It kills me to know that this night is going to be over in two hours, we’ve been going on study dates all this time…why don’t we hang out some time? Would you go out with me?”

Without a doubt I said yes, I was delusional that night…I thought he really was the one, I thought we would make a perfect couple and that he was my soul mate; I thought the book was right.

 

Then something happened, he sat me down and left me alone with my girlfriends so we could have the last thirty minutes together; he knew that most of us would separate after high school and go to different universities. And so he sat me down, kissed my cheek and said he would be waiting for me when the night was over.

I found myself gushing over Jongin with my girls, Minah nudged me and laughed. “I can’t believe you only found out about him now, he’s liked you since the beginning of junior year!”

Hana high fived me and smiled. “I told you that this would happen! You just didn’t believe me.”

Then there was Soojung who winked at me and told me to invite her to our wedding. “Can I do the opening speech?” She asked and we all laughed.

At that moment, I swore we were infinite, I was positive that Jongin was the one and that we would go to college together, major in the same field and spend the rest of our lives together.

 

It was as if this next scene was taken out of a movie, the clock twelve and the night was over. We all stood up and dispersed into the crowd looking for our dates. Amongst the messy crowd, someone stood out to me. Oh Sehun stood in the middle of the swarm and looked at me.

I stared at him until Jongin came up behind me. “Miyeon, ready?”

I turned to him and then glanced at Sehun again, I had no idea who he was and didn’t know why I was so drawn to him. “R-Ready.” I stammered before leaving.

 

That night, I flipped through the pages and found Sehun’s name.

 

And according to the book, he was just a friend…But is he? 


[a/n]: hope you enjoyed chapter one, comments are much appreciated :)