Chapter 8

Learn to Hate Me

 

A/N: sorry for the long wait. this week has been really busy especially with exams and registrations. i was hoping to update a long chapter for this part, however it didn't turn out to be the way i want it to be. i'm really sorry; the next chapter will definitely be much longer.

 
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

 

 

 

 

* * * * * * *

 

Nara was seated on the bed in a robe as she faced the window with the sunlight shining into her eyes. On the bed, a figure moved and she glanced behind her shoulder. A pair of hands embraced her from the back.

 

“You got up early?” Jaewoo said, resting his jaw on her shoulder.

 

“Early? It’s almost noon. You were the one sleeping in late” Nara laughs softly.

 

He let her go and glimpsed over to the clock, and then he quickly rushed out of the bed. He shuffled the bed sheets aside and hurried into the bathroom with the door shut. The smile on Nara’s face faded and darkens afterward. While Jaewoo was getting dress, Nara was making herself a cup of coffee. He came out of the room in a black pant with a white dress shirt and his neck tie drooping around his neck as he button his shirt.

 

“I’m going. See you later”

 

He gave Nara a swift peck on the cheek and went to slip on his shoes and then he disappeared out the door. Nara sipped her drink, but put the mug down when she heard the door open. She looked over and saw Jaewoo stood there almost breathless.

 

“Did you forget something?” Nara asked with a frown.

 

There was a moment of silence as they both stood there.

 

“What? Is there something you need?” she asked, setting her mug on the counter.

 

“Remembered when you asked me when I was going to propose to you?”

 

She thought for a while and nodded her head as she looked at him. He let out a sigh which seemed to release the tension in him. When his eyes met hers again, she could tell he wanted to say something so she remained quiet. He swallowed hard before opening his mouth.

 

“Will you marry me?”

 

Nara was baffled that she almost couldn’t believe it. He exhaled shakily before continuing on.

 

“I know I’ve asked for us to start over, but I feel that I haven’t done anything for you. You know, I can’t change who am I or how I act toward other women. However, after coming back together I realized that you were always the one for me. So-“

 

He was stopped when Nara went up to him and wrapped her arms around his waist as she placed her ear against his chest. Jaewoo didn’t move a muscle.

 

“Okay…Let’s get marry” she said.

 

A smile came across his face and then he held her warmly. Nara embraced him tighter, but in her eyes evilness sparked. After he left, Nara stepped out of the hotel room and walked toward the elevator as she pulled out her phone. She went in and pressed the button, and then turned her phone on. Looking through the contact list, she pushed a number and then placed the phone against her ear. The doors of the elevator closed. When the doors moved apart on the first floor, Nara hung up the call and walked out.

 

“Excuse me, miss”

 

“Yes?” Nara said as she stopped.

 

“Sorry, miss. But there is a man sleeping over there. He seemed to be one of the guests from last night’s party, however I don’t know if you know him” she said.

 

Nara narrowed her eyes over to the direction, and back at her.

 

“Thank you. I’ll go check who it is. You can go”

 

The worker bowed and left as Nara glanced back toward the way. Just who could it be? She went over to the lobby filled with couches and tables. Her eyes spotted a figure that cuddled up in a ball, their back view was broad and it felt familiar. As she got closer, she thought this was all an illusion, but there he was; Hwang Chansung. He was half dried, but the tips of his hair were still dripping with water. His face was pale and worse of all his body was shivering as he hugged himself to sleep. When Nara reached to touch his forearm, she could feel the abnormal temperature burning in him. She drew her hand back with a shock look on her.

 

“You’re sick”

 

She felt his forehead and then his cheek. It felt like he was on fire. Nara looked about the place, but no one was in sight. In a while, Nara was in his car at the driver’s seat with him in the backseat lying down. When she drove, she would give a few quick glances over her shoulder to reassure herself that he was doing alright. They arrived to his place and entered the room. Nara stumbled through the door with him and land right on him. Chansung laid there still unconscious as she stared at him for a second. She shook out of her nonsense and got up. After putting him in bed, Nara began to wipe him down with a cold wet towel. In the kitchen, the stove was running with a pot of boiling water. Later, Nara went into the room with a tray in her hands with bowl porridge on it. She set it on the night table and then turned to him.

 

“How should I do this?”

 

First, Nara lightly shook him and called his name yet Chansung didn’t show any sign. She thought for a while. In the end, Nara had him leaned against a high pillow as she sat beside him with the bowl in her hands. She scooped a half spoonful of porridge and blew it to cool it down. Then she brought it over to him, her other hand gently held his chin down to make his mouth open as she slipped the food in. In a quick reaction, he began coughing which made Nara alert so she set the bowl back onto the tray and grabbed a napkin. He stopped coughing and swallowed while she wiped the mess away from him. After she was done, she looked at him again and was disappointed.

 

“I can’t let him take the medication without having him eat first. But-“

 

At the moment, something came across her mind as she became silent. She twirled around to the night table and scooped a spoon again. After blowing it, she consumed it and spun back to Chansung. She held his face steadily as her lip sealed his. Nara could hear and feel him swallow so she drew back, studying him closely if he was going to cough again. However, he didn’t. She averted back to the table to get another scoop. After she was done feeding him, she also fed him his medication and she finally got to rest.

 

 

That night, she woke up and found herself asleep in the room with him. She sat up while rubbing her eyes, and then she checked the time on her phone. It was already 8 p.m. Nara checked for his fever again.

 

“You’re still burning?”

 

She looked at Chansung who was rolled in a ball under the blankets. He was covered in sweat and his face was colorless.

 

“This won’t do. I need to get you to the hospital”

 

Nara was about to leave, but she felt something tug her wrist so she looked back.

 

“Don’t go. Don’t leave me” Chansung spoke in a quiet voice.

 

In confusion, she couldn’t tell if he was awake or sleep talking. Nara took her hand away and looked at him.

 

“I’m taking you to the hospital. So don’t move. I’m gonna pack up first, then we’ll go”

 

Her eyes left him for only a quick second, and then she heard a loud “THUMP.” Nara turned around, at the same time shocked to see him on the floor.

 

“Chansung”

 

She hurried to his side and tried pulling him up into a sitting position. After struggling a bit, she finally got him to lean against the bed.

 

“What were you trying to do? I said not to move-“

 

Just then, his head flopped toward her and was on her chest as she paused. Everything appeared to come to a stop. She could feel the burning heat of his body coming in contact with hers. His breathes were long and thick as he didn't move.

 

“Hwang Chansung? Chansung ah”

 

He seemed to move slightly when she called him by that. Nara carefully took hold of his shoulders and held him away so she could look at him. When his head dip back, Nara caught his neck on time and sighed afterwards.

 

“That was close”

 

Then she realized that his eyes were slightly open and that they were staring at her. Nara felt like she glued there and unable to move. They locked eyes for a long time. However, she wandered off first to avoid him.

 

“Come. Let’s get you back in bed”

 

Nara used all her strength to bring him up to his feet and when he did, his heavy body fell on her and she tried to balance herself from not falling over again.

 

“Okay. Careful” she said.

 

Chansung sat on the bed and then slumped as he pulled Nara along. They both were lying on the bed and facing each other. His eyes were still a bit open for her to see his dark pupils gazing back at her and it made her flustered. Unknowingly, her hand moved toward him and right when she was about to touch his cheek the thought of them being just strangers to one another made her stopped. She drew back, but his hand caught hers and she watched him. He placed her small hand against his cheek as he held onto it with his eyes closed. A tear stream down his face, which made her heart sunk. This was the second time he cried himself to sleep. It began to make her feel ashamed because she knew it was her who made him became like this. On the other hand, she didn’t want to do this to him either. She never planned to hurt him or say negative things that may hurt him, but because she was greedy for revenge she had to treat an innocent man like him as if he was nothing but a toy to her.

 

When he woke up, it was morning and he saw a face that he didn’t expect to see. Nara was soundly asleep beside him with their hand interlocking each other. Chansung thought for a moment, trying to figure out what exactly happened and when he did recall last night, he looked back at her. Their hands were clasped together as he narrowed his eyes to them. Suddenly, he felt her grasped his hand a bit and then she awakens. Her hand left his as she sat up quickly and his eyes followed her. Nara combed her hair back and looked around for her phone.

 

“It’s already 8”

 

Chansung got up and their eyes meet. Nara was about to say something just when her phone went off at the same time. They both averted their sight to her phone. On the screen appeared Jaewoo’s name. Right when she answers the call, Chansung abruptly grabbed her by the hand that held the phone and pulled her toward him. Her phone slipped out of her hand and landed on the bed as her eyes widen.

 

“Hello? Hello? Nara?”

 

His lips kissed her softly making her closed her eyes as she responded back to his kisses. The screen on her phone, blacks out after the call ended. Right then, Nara’s eyes shot open and she broke the kiss. Chansung looked at her who covered .

 

“I-I gotta go”

 

She took her phone and climbed out of the bed, heading toward the door. Nara came out of the building and hurried down the sidewalk as she had her hand over .

 

“Nara! Yoo Nara!”

 

When she heard her name, she stopped and turned around only to see it was Chansung. She spun back and quickly walked on. However, she felt her elbow caught by him as their eyes met afterwards.

 

“Why are you running away from me?” he asked.

 

Nara yanked away from him before locking eyes with him again.

 

“I don’t like you, that’s why I’m running away” she replied.

 

“You’re lying!” Chansung shot back.

 

She shut when he spoke aloud. The look on him was serious, yet at the same time it appeared hurt. Nara couldn’t look at him in the eyes as she wandered about the place, trying to come up with something. And then, he grabbed her by the shoulders making her face him.

 

“I know you’re lying, but your lips…they don’t lie”

 

Her heart skipped a beat and her face reddens. To avoid it, Nara took his hands off her as she stepped back a foot.

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking abou-“

 

“Fine. You want me to prove something else, right?” Chansung cuts her.

 

Nara watched him oddly as they stood there on the street. His eyes left her and she followed his sight that led to the busy traffic. And then he walked right towards it.

 

“Hwang Chansung!”

 

As he stepped onto the road, a car was coming right at him and honked. Her eyes widen and unknowingly her body ran forward. She pushed him away and he fell down, then everything went silent. People nearby covered their mouths in shock. Chansung sat up and looked over to see her nowhere in sight as he began to panic. He got up and head toward the front of the car and saw Nara sitting there, the bumper of the car nearly touched her.

 

“N-Nara”

 

He went to her and kneeled down beside her as he grabbed her by the arm. Nara averted her eyes to him. Her arms suddenly were thrown over him and he stayed still with his hands at his side as he could feel her heart pounding against his chest. Her eyes were shut as she clings tightly onto him, not wanting to let go. She was afraid if she did so, he’ll disappear from her sight forever.

 

 

After the incident, Nara found herself in her house. Her hair was dripping wet after a cold shower. Seated in front of her desk, she stared into the mirror.

 

Her arms were thrown over him and she closed her eyes, grasping onto him. Later, Chansung was sitting on the couch as Nara puts a bandage over his scraped forearm. She then stood up, however felt him caught her wrist. She fixed her eyes at him who didn't look back.

 

"You're really unpredictable, Yoo Nara. Just why? Why are you like this?"

 

There was a moment of silence. Her mind was blank as she couldn't look at him properly.

 

"You can lie to yourself, but you can't lie to your heart. I know well that you care for me, yet you just won't admit it, am I right?" Chansung said with his eyes laid on her.

 

She averted back to his eyes that stared solidly at her without a blink. Nara took his hand off her as she prevent from falling into them.

 

"I have no comment in that. The reason I saved you is so that I can tell you to give already. You shouldn't bother a person like me whose going to get marry with the man I love"

 

Right then, Chansung's harden face turned bitter. As Nara turned to go, her heart was so much in pain that she didn't dare to stay any longer.

 

Nara was lying in bed, thinking that if she did remain by his side, she will refuse to leave him. That was something she knew she couldn't do if really happen.